Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Greetings
Last Post 09 Mar 2017 01:29 PM by ACWest. 14 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Saccadon

--
07 Mar 2017 10:24 PM
    I'm just a civilian hoping to join the Coast Guard someday. I am currently in my teenage years so still have quite a bit of time to think things over. My dream is to enlist in the Coast Guard as a Gunners Mate and be stationed aboard one of the larger cutters. I'd love to join up with the MSRT if they survive until then.

I tried the USCG subreddit, but bluntly speaking it's the same as the rest of reddit, it's just a Leftist political forum, very few helpful people there.

So here I am!
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    m1ashooter

--
    08 Mar 2017 10:45 AM
    Welcome. What grade are you in? Everyone here will be more then happy to help guide you on your journey.
    Saccadon

--
    08 Mar 2017 11:30 AM
    Posted By m1ashooter on 08 Mar 2017 11:45 AM
    Welcome. What grade are you in? Everyone here will be more then happy to help guide you on your journey.

10th grade. I'm 15, so I have 3 years to decide minimum, though I may wait until I'm 19 or 20 to join, just depends.
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    08 Mar 2017 11:45 AM
    Welcome aboard. Just remember to do well in school, stay out of trouble, don't fall for some crazy credit scheme that gives you a credit card at 16, don't drive like a fool, don't drink. It will all matter, not just for a CG career but any career. If you have Facebook or Instagram, make sure the pictures and content you post are something your grandma would be proud of. These are all things that a recruiter, military, college or just civilian employment, might look at. You want to be able to hold your head up proudly and not be afraid of what someone might find.

At 15, you can speak to a recruiter with your parents. You can speak to all of us on an unofficial basis and we are happy to help answer questions. I'm very impressed you already know at least one of our ratings. Shows you have thought about this and are truly looking at a path to take. But don't get so involved in one rating that you forget to take the time to look at others. There are so many great options in the CG.

I see your avatar is a Civil War soldier, albeit a Reb. Are you involved in reenacting? My father, myself, my son (a Coastie) are all involved in the hobby. My father also portrays Abraham Lincoln and is currently shooting a TV show as Lincoln. My son, he is stationed at Sector New York and is marching in the Saint Patrick's Day parade in NY with the Fighting 69th Irish Brigade.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Saccadon

--
    08 Mar 2017 12:02 PM
    Posted By Old Guard2 on 08 Mar 2017 12:45 PM
    Welcome aboard. Just remember to do well in school, stay out of trouble, don't fall for some crazy credit scheme that gives you a credit card at 16, don't drive like a fool, don't drink. It will all matter, not just for a CG career but any career. If you have Facebook or Instagram, make sure the pictures and content you post are something your grandma would be proud of. These are all things that a recruiter, military, college or just civilian employment, might look at. You want to be able to hold your head up proudly and not be afraid of what someone might find.

At 15, you can speak to a recruiter with your parents. You can speak to all of us on an unofficial basis and we are happy to help answer questions. I'm very impressed you already know at least one of our ratings. Shows you have thought about this and are truly looking at a path to take. But don't get so involved in one rating that you forget to take the time to look at others. There are so many great options in the CG.

I see your avatar is a Civil War soldier, albeit a Reb. Are you involved in reenacting? My father, myself, my son (a Coastie) are all involved in the hobby. My father also portrays Abraham Lincoln and is currently shooting a TV show as Lincoln. My son, he is stationed at Sector New York and is marching in the Saint Patrick's Day parade in NY with the Fighting 69th Irish Brigade.

I myself am not a reenactor but I have been to reenactments and it's certainly something I consider doing in the future.

It's a reb because frankly I like the Austrian-French inspired uniforms the Confederates wore when they were finally able to issue their own uniforms. Regardless of whether or not the Southern soldiers fought for a system of slavery, one thing that you can give them is they had a great sense of style. I didn't really have anything else appropriate for a military forum in my folder lol.

Also, as much as I'd love to do that, there are two problems: First being, the nearest U.S.C.G. recruitment station is in Savannah, which while not a exponentially far distance, is definitely a decent drive, as I live on the Western part of the state while it is on the Eastern side.

The second is, while my father supports my hopes of becoming a Coast Guardsmen, as he had originally planned to do so himself but backed out due to not being comfortable with answering to the Government, but is perfectly ok with me doing so - my mother however is staunchly against it, even though my oldest Brother was a Marine, and my other brother enlisted in the Navy but was eventually issued an honorable discharge for medical issues.

So while my dad would be ok with taking me to a recruiter, he would recieve a ranting from my mother, and if he - God forbid - signed papers allowing me to leave out of High School, he may very well have to sign his divorce papers afterward.
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    08 Mar 2017 03:45 PM
    Oh Johnny Reb, I don't know. I'm a Billy Yank myself and we've often commented that the Rebs sort of look like a Chinese laundry threw up on them from their mismatched uniforms. LOL If you ever get the chance to get involved with a unit, I really recommend it. The camaraderie and fun times is really great. The battles and stuff you see as a spectator are really nice. Being on the company street after the "civilians" have left and then it is just story telling, song singing, going to the dances, sitting around the fire... It really is a great time. If you're ever in the New York area and you want to try it out, I'll hook you up with my dad. He has a ton of extra uniforms, Yankee uniforms, but he would be glad to take you out and show you a reenactment. He has mentored a lot of kids, younger adults, into the hobby.

I'm sorry to hear your mom feels that way. I married a Coastie, so I greatly encouraged our son to follow. He was floundering, wasn't sure what he was going to do. He was out of high school about 2 years and the future wasn't looking great at that point. We had a discussion and he decided it might be a good thing. Colin just celebrated his 8th anniversary in the CG and this is a career thing for him. Your mom has already given the Marines and the Navy a child, maybe she is hesitant to hand over another to another service. I can understand that. If you want to tell her you're here and looking at things, if she ever wants to talk, tell her she can PM me. I'll be happy to tell her about the CG side of life, as a wife and a mom. We're a lot different than the Marines and Navy. But we're a lot the same as well. You have time before you make decisions and give her time to come around a bit.

FYI, the CG won't take you (or it will be very hard for you to get accepted, I should say) without a HS diploma. A GED is very hard to get through without college credits. Anyway, you sound too smart to give up high school. Very well spoken for a young man of 15 in this day and age. Bravo to your parents and teachers.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Saccadon

--
    08 Mar 2017 04:02 PM
    Oh I'm aware. By "leave out of high school", I meant the program where you enlist while in high school with a parent's signature and they ship you off almost immediately after graduation.
    ACWest

--
    08 Mar 2017 06:21 PM
    When the time comes to visit the recruiter here in Savannah, make sure you make an appointment. As it is now, the recruiting office here is open by appointment only.

Since you'll be taking a drive to get here, you might consider calling some of the local commands to request a tour. We have five units here which could give you a firsthand snapshot of USCG missions. Station Tybee is a small boat station. Adjacent to Station Tybee is ANT Tybee and the USCGC Chinook, an 87 ft WPB. On Savannah's Southside, on Hunter Army Airfield, you can visit Airstation Savannah which operates several HH65-C helicopters. Downtown Savannah, not far from the recruiter's office, you can visit Marine Safety Unit Savannah, home the Captain of The Port/FOSC/OCMI and a staff of MSTs, MEs, and a hand full of commissioned and warrant officers.

No large cutters to see here, but otherwise a fairly diverse cross-section of USCG operations.

Good Luck!
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    m1ashooter

--
    08 Mar 2017 10:33 PM
    Saccadon. My son is a 19yr old Coastie. He turned 19 hunting drug runners with his shipmates in the Pacific. He trip started in St Petersburg and through the Panama Canal. Not many 18 year olds can say that. We started this adventure when he was 17 at the end of his Junior Year. We found out he almost had enough credits to graduate so he finished up his credits and graduated HS early. The Coast Guard adventure is there for you to work towards. I asked my son when we got to talk to him while at boot camp if he made the correct choice and he said yes. Chase your dream.

As for reenacting like Old Guard2 says explore it. I grew up in NJ and reenacted our 1st War of Independence and had a lot of fun. You could spend your time and money on worst things.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Auxnoob

--
    09 Mar 2017 05:56 AM
    Both my sons are Active Duty CG, and my wife went through something similar to your mom. Twice. But she's pretty proud of what they're doing now, especially when our BM3 tells about the people they've pulled out of trouble.

Double what M1a said. I did years of Rev War reenactments in my younger days. M1a, PM me. Did you run with a Jersey Reg't, BAR?
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    09 Mar 2017 07:37 AM
    I'm originally from Jersey, my dad is still in Piscataway. Different war but fellow reenactors. Where are you both from? I live in Wisconsin now... someday hopefully, I'll get back home to Jersey. Or Texas or Oregon or Alaska... LOL I just hope I'm not stuck in Wisconsin for the rest of my life.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    m1ashooter

--
    09 Mar 2017 09:53 AM
    OG. I grew up in Marlboro NJ, received a commission in the AF from WVU and got sent to the Great Plains. We settled in Texas. Since NJ was the cross roads of the American Revolution and it the history was all around us I became immersed in it. I felt the CW was a statue in the town square. It wasn't until I moved to a southern state that I became interested in that part of our history.
    Saccadon

--
    09 Mar 2017 12:16 PM
    Posted By m1ashooter on 08 Mar 2017 11:33 PM
    Saccadon. My son is a 19yr old Coastie. He turned 19 hunting drug runners with his shipmates in the Pacific. He trip started in St Petersburg and through the Panama Canal. Not many 18 year olds can say that. We started this adventure when he was 17 at the end of his Junior Year. We found out he almost had enough credits to graduate so he finished up his credits and graduated HS early. The Coast Guard adventure is there for you to work towards. I asked my son when we got to talk to him while at boot camp if he made the correct choice and he said yes. Chase your dream.

As for reenacting like Old Guard2 says explore it. I grew up in NJ and reenacted our 1st War of Independence and had a lot of fun. You could spend your time and money on worst things.

"1st War of Independence"? That would imply there was a 2nd. I know those in the Confederate military believed the Civil War was the 2nd War of Independence but I've never heard a "Yankee" refer to it as such, or anyone in the modern day really, outside of those devoted to a Neo-Confederate movement.

I sometimes wonder how different the South would be had it remained independent. Slavery would have died of natural causes perhaps as little as a decade or two following the war, so I honestly don't know what would be different, aside from seeing the 'Blood-Stained Banner' atop government buildings. I'm glad the war ended how it did though, as poorly as both the Northern and Southern states were fairing, another world power would have almost certainly taken advantage of the divided America. It wouldn't be too unreasonable to suggest that Britain may have attempted to re-colonialize the C.S.A.
    Saccadon

--
    09 Mar 2017 12:22 PM
    I heard that the Coast Guard, or at least it's predecessor - the Revenue Cutter Service, actually fired the first shot of the attempt to relieve Ft. Sumpter
    ACWest

--
    09 Mar 2017 01:29 PM
    Posted By Saccadon on 09 Mar 2017 01:22 PM
    I heard that the Coast Guard, or at least it's predecessor - the Revenue Cutter Service, actually fired the first shot of the attempt to relieve Ft. Sumpter

If my memory serves me correctly, that would have been the Revenue Cutter Harriet Lane.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement