Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Hello everyone
Last Post 26 Mar 2017 06:22 AM by TombRaider330. 11 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
whdahl

--
10 Mar 2017 12:43 AM
    Hi everyone, new here but I've been looking through this forum for a couple weeks. Lots of good info. I have my first DEP meeting 3/16 and ship on 4/24. I've been getting more and more excited the more I read here (and watch YouTube videos)

Looking forward to cape may!
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    10 Mar 2017 08:14 AM
    Welcome aboard and congratulations!! Let us know if you have any questions. We're here to help. Best of luck.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    m1ashooter

--
    10 Mar 2017 10:06 AM
    Stay focused at Boot Camp. Its just eight weeks, take it one minute at a time.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    disciplecore

--
    10 Mar 2017 03:03 PM
    Welcome , i ship 1 week after you im sure i will see you around. Goodluck!
    "The only easy day was yesterday"
    TombRaider330

--
    14 Mar 2017 05:02 PM
    Congratulations and best of luck to you! May I ask how long was your paperwork process from the time you turned in your application to meeting with recruiter? Just trying to get an idea of the processing timeframe until ship date.. I was told it could take from 3mos to a year.. your response would be greatly appreciated

P.S. I am pursuing to become a USCG Reservist.. with my education level and work experience I was suggested to come in as a StoreKeeper3 which is what I want to do as well.. any advice from anyone would be helpful. 

Thank you.
    DreamBig

--
    15 Mar 2017 11:32 AM
    I submitted my first application in November, took my asvab in January, and I still haven't gone to MEPS (I don't have any major issues either.) The government runs very slowly, be patient but check in on your recruiter for an update if you haven't heard for a couple weeks so they don't forget you. It will all be worth it.
    bmew1995

--
    15 Mar 2017 02:13 PM
    @TombRaider330 I started working with my recruiter back in July of 2016. I was scheduled for ASVAB and MEPS Physical within two months of contact. That said, we had a Nov. 2nd deadline to meet (and by we, I mean I had a deadline to meet). I turned in paperwork and had a meeting with my recruiter within a week or two of primary contact. Best of luck to you! And good luck at boot camp whdahl and disciplecore. Semper paratus!
    TombRaider330

--
    19 Mar 2017 09:49 PM
    thank you all so much, everyone's advice helped! I finally called (3/15/17 late Wed afternoon) the nearest recruiter (1.5H away) inquiring about my transferred application (with recommendation) if received from the other recruiter office (which is 3 hrs farther and the reason for transfer). I'm glad I called because the Chief, whom my file was addressed to, is on emergency leave which makes sense as to why I haven't heard from them for almost 2-wks. (Lesson learned: follow-through is always key to get a step-closer) 

So, in that call I continued to express my professionalism and sincere interest. After passing the pre questionnaire (same questions asked from the other recruiter office), my new recruiter asked "do you really want to be in the Coast Guard?" and I immediately answered with "Yes, Sir, Absolutely!" we then set up a time for meeting which is tomorrow! I'm nervous as I do take this seriously and would be another dream come true if I make it all the way Any advice on how to ace the interview as well? This forum has been my go to for opinions and helpful information and I try to come here almost every day Anyone's response is greatly appreciated, always. If I could help in any way please do ask me questions as well, maybe wait after I pass my ASVAB & MEPs (I so hope I do) lol.. but so far I feel good about this though.. 

Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    20 Mar 2017 08:15 AM
    Sorry I didn't see this yesterday but I hope all goes well today. As far as acing the interview, just be you. Dress nicely, you don't have to be in a 3 piece suit but don't show up in board shorts and flip flops either. Nice jeans or khakis, a nice, collared shirt, can just be the 3 button Izod but not the concert t for the show you went to last night. Don't be afraid to ask questions!!!!! No matter how trivial or silly you think it is, recruiters have heard just about everything. Think how great it would be if you could find a question they haven't heard! Again, just be you. Be honest. But if you are asked a question, especially something health related, if you do not know don't guess. Don't say you know, one time, my grandma was talking to my aunt over the blueberry pie and she said someone had asthma, it could be me! No. If you are asked and you don't know, say not to my knowledge, I'll check with my mom but I don't ever remember being diagnosed with anything. And remember you recruiter was once a nervous kid, walking into a recruiters office, hoping with all his/her heart to get into the CG as well. They've been EXACTLY where you are.

Best of luck and please update us on how it all went!!!
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    TombRaider330

--
    22 Mar 2017 08:40 PM
    Thank you Old Guard2! I apologize for my late update.. about my meeting, I was nervous where my questions was a bit confusing lol but I did be me (smiled a lot lol) and handled the meeting with the recruiter like it's my first interview for a job I really wanted So I think I did ok.. I even had a mini interview with the chief (which I had no idea he was the chief there until after the conversation lol) in the waiting room but I was so glad I was being professional and treated everyone with respect. I really want to show the positive "first impression" that they will remember me of. I greeted everyone I came across with a smile and hello as if I'm part of the team. Interview with my recruiter went well too! Even the chief came in and tried to help pick the best job available that would suit me based on my interests. Overall, everyone was so nice and professional. With that said, after I've provided copies of my bc, dl, u.s. passport, college diploma, resume, ss and lasik eye surgery docs my recruiter have scheduled my asvab testing at meps.. I picked out a later date 4/26/17 to give me time to study.. the jobs that I am interested in requires a minimum asvab score of at least 105 (if I understood it correctly).. seems too high to attain but I will do my best Then based on the score result the physical at meps will be scheduled thereafter.. I was told new listing of jobs become available every quarter so there is one coming up soon and hoping there will be more selections that are closer to home.. if not, it's quite alright too. I don't mind taking some time away from the civilian world lol 

Questions for the experts out there..
    1. what are your tips in passing the asvab?
    2. for physical at meps, is this an all day event where a stay at the assigned hotel is required the night before?

Any advice please..

Thanks again all, you guys have been very helpful as well. This forum is really awesome!
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    m1ashooter

--
    22 Mar 2017 11:51 PM
    You will stay at the hotel the night before so they can pick everyone up and herd you over to MEPS. You probably will have a roomate interested in another branch. Eat you dinner and go to bed early. I recommend no booze. There will be a lot going on but pay attention to the process and the paperwork the best you can. For example my son flunked the color blindness test but passed the retest. The pass was not recorded and he didn't know it until many months later when he applied for A School. He was underway at the time and had to wait until they got back in port to retake it. This delayed him two months.

To prep for the ASVAB go online and take practice tests. I found practice tests help me prepare. Good luck on the start of your adventure.
    TombRaider330

--
    26 Mar 2017 06:22 AM
    Thank you very much m1ashooter for the tips and advice. I'm really nervous & excited for this new chapter of my life
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement