Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Possible disqualification?
Last Post 16 Mar 2017 10:13 AM by Gears. 6 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
CGhopeful2017

--
13 Mar 2017 11:54 AM
    hoping to get some guidance. I am going to apply for the Reserves, specifically the Direct Entry Education program. I am a recovered alcoholic, I have been to to rehab. I want to be honest on my application but I also don't want to get automatically DQ'd. I am not asking if I should lie, but I am asking if this type of thing is an automatic DQ. What about past drug use? Thanks for all your help!
    whdahl

--
    13 Mar 2017 03:00 PM
    They mention rehabilitation here.

source: https://www.uscg.mil/nmc/about_us/brochures/Criminal_Record_brochure.pdf

USCG Guidelines for Determining Criminal Rehabilitation

46 CFR §10.211 (l): If an applicant has one or more
    alcohol or dangerous drug related criminal or NDR-listed
    convictions, if the applicant has ever been the user of, or
    addicted to the use of, a dangerous drug, or if the
    applicant applies before the minimum assessment
    period has elapsed for his or her conviction, the Coast
    Guard may consider the following factors, as applicable,
    in assessing the applicant's suitability to hold an MMC.
    This list is intended as a guide for the Coast Guard. The
    Coast Guard may consider other factors appropriate to a
    particular applicant, such as:
    (1) Proof of completion of an accredited alcohol or drug
    abuse rehabilitation program
    (2) Active membership in a rehabilitation or counseling
    group, such as Alcoholics Anonymous or Narcotics
    Anonymous
    (3) Character references from persons who can attest
    to the applicant's sobriety, reliability, and suitability for
    employment in the merchant marine including parole
    or probation officers
    (4) Steady employment
    (5) Successful completion of all conditions of parole or
    probation.
    Resserve Chief/Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    CPORJM

--
    13 Mar 2017 03:40 PM
    Posted By whdahl on 13 Mar 2017 03:00 PM
    They mention rehabilitation here.

source: https://www.uscg.mil/nmc/about_us/brochures/Criminal_Record_brochure.pdf

USCG Guidelines for Determining Criminal Rehabilitation

46 CFR §10.211 (l): If an applicant has one or more
    alcohol or dangerous drug related criminal or NDR-listed
    convictions, if the applicant has ever been the user of, or
    addicted to the use of, a dangerous drug, or if the
    applicant applies before the minimum assessment
    period has elapsed for his or her conviction, the Coast
    Guard may consider the following factors, as applicable,
    in assessing the applicant's suitability to hold an MMC.
    This list is intended as a guide for the Coast Guard. The
    Coast Guard may consider other factors appropriate to a
    particular applicant, such as:
    (1) Proof of completion of an accredited alcohol or drug
    abuse rehabilitation program
    (2) Active membership in a rehabilitation or counseling
    group, such as Alcoholics Anonymous or Narcotics
    Anonymous
    (3) Character references from persons who can attest
    to the applicant's sobriety, reliability, and suitability for
    employment in the merchant marine including parole
    or probation officers
    (4) Steady employment
    (5) Successful completion of all conditions of parole or
    probation.
    This quoted section has nothing to do with enlistment.  This is relating to Merchant Mariners Licenses. Please research before passing on info. To respond to the OP, you're going to have a tough sell.  The Coast Guard, and the military overall, take a very dim view of alcohol abuse.  You're going to have to convince your recruiter that he should take a chance on you.  If your recruiter has the choice between two equally qualified candidates, but one doesn't have the history of alcohol abuse, who do you think he'll pick?

"When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."-Jonathan Swift
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    13 Mar 2017 05:01 PM
    I agree with Chief... It will be extremely difficult. The military is very high stress and alcoholism is a problem. Since you already show the tendencies to have that problem, and bravo for getting yourself into rehab and getting help, but it would be easy to fall backwards. I have a multitude of alcoholics in my blood family and married family. I know how easy it is to be in recovery and doing well today and tomorrow, not so much. Also, I know there are things regarding hospitalization that could be the show stopper. But speak to a recruiter. If you ask us and we tell you no, we could be wrong. Then you'll never have the correct answer. Best of luck to you in wherever life leads you. Please stay on the healthy course and take it one day at a time.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    CGhopeful2017

--
    16 Mar 2017 07:05 AM
    Thanks for your help! I know that Alcoholics Anonymous has active groups in the military, so I would find it paradoxical that they would shun me for being an AA'er, yet have bases etc that have regular AA Meetings and groups. So for I've filled out my complete application save for that section, and once I get a feel for things after I talk with the recruiter, then I'll make my decision on disclosure. Thanks again
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    16 Mar 2017 07:19 AM
    There are AA options for those in the military and developed a problem. To allow someone in that already has the existing problem, that's a completely different ball of wax. You already have the propensity for a problem. Military service is very high stress, very long hours, separation from family, isolation, all of these things are triggers for alcoholics. I know what I'm talking about. In the spirit of AA and anonymity, I am not a member, but I have very close family that are members. I know the struggles some have even 20+ years with sobriety. That is why it will be highly unlikely. You can't "feel it out" and decide if you will or won't disclose. You are asked point blank about hospitalization, you lie or conveniently forget, that is a federal offense.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    16 Mar 2017 10:13 AM
    I have been to to rehab.

So you've admitted you've been to rehab, which is great. Recovery is not an easy road to take. However,
    So for I've filled out my complete application save for that section, and once I get a feel for things after I talk with the recruiter, then I'll make my decision on disclosure.
    . You are basically lying by omission on your application. You might want to think that through.
    “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement