Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Strengthening Officer Application
Last Post 25 Apr 2017 10:55 PM by ljrh. 12 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
bmew1995

--
14 Mar 2017 06:33 AM
    My recruiter shared my application with the 'officer recruiter' in the recruiting office and asked what, if anything, could be strengthened to make my package a little more competitive, as I was not picked up in last selection panel. The information I received is that my narrative should be more cause-effect-impact, as should my letters of recommendation (both of which I am redoing). I am just curious about personal awards. I currently have my Congressional Recognition for attaining the rank of Eagle Scout certificate, my VA Safe Boating certification (through BoatU.S.), and I have one more, I think, that I can't remember right now. Are there any active recruiters or officers that could shed light on what they think good awards are? Thank you for your time and I appreciate any feedback or suggestions. Very respectfully, bmew1995.
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    sardaddy

--
    14 Mar 2017 08:36 AM
    My advice is to get some solid recommendations from leaders you know or even from some you don't. Your congressional representatives can often be approached to help with a recommendation. Your recruiter is right. Your narrative needs to show results, not just bloviating about how awesome you are and how you would be the ideal officer. Every letter has that. Add leadership experiences and what you accomplished if you have anything to provide.

Having sat on a selection board, I would advise you not to include your safe boating certificate as it is not an award. It is just a completion certificate of a very basic course. Your aren't going to put your driver's training certificate in are you? The Eagle Scout is marginal as well unless that is all you have.
    bmew1995

--
    14 Mar 2017 10:15 AM
    Thank you. This is valuable information and I will use it to enhance my application package before I resubmit. I will exchange the safe boating certification with the most current Dean's List letter that I will have. I will overhaul my letters of recommendation and will contact my representative for a recommendation. Thank you again for the advice, I will take to heart all of the information from both you and my recruiter to ensure that I have the best package available.
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    ebee

--
    14 Mar 2017 02:21 PM
    I was accepted through the last panel and like to think that I put together a pretty solid application package. The best advice I received when putting everything together was to really focus on your package as a whole. So when I got my LORs, for example, I turned 4 in to my recruiter, and chose not to use two which included a lot of the same information that was in two of the awards that I submitted. Similarly, if I expanded on a certain experience in my memo, I didn't expand on it in my resume.

I also struggled with the personal awards section as I only had 4 traditional awards to include, leaving one empty spot in the packet. My recruiter suggested putting together a document which included my academic achievements from college (dean's list and honor societies). Don't discount academic awards. Dean's list, invitations to academic honor societies, sports letters, whatever you have, include it.

As for your narrative, have lots of people read it and tell them to be harsh. I had four people read multiple iterations of mine and each one of them gave it back with a ton of red ink. THIS IS GOOD! If you want ideas for buzzwords to include in the narrative, google USCG OER. That will tell you what officers are evaluated on and thus what you should focus on in your narrative. Anyone who's ever done marks in the CG knows it's all about action, result, impact. Don't just say what you did, say what the result of your action was, and how it impacted your organization as a whole.

I hope this helps!
    bmew1995

--
    15 Mar 2017 02:07 PM
    @ebee thank you for that information. I will be overhauling my application package as a result of all this information. Redoing LORs, narrative, resume, and awards; only thing I am not redoing is my interview as my recruiter told me that I pulled a spring training Bryce Harper and blew it out of the park (meaning I scored very well). I wish you the best of luck at OCS, and look forward to serving with you in the fleet. Semper paratus!
    Andisoss

--
    16 Mar 2017 05:23 AM
    I am an Active Duty Officer who has sat on OCS/DCO interviews and also a prior recruiter. A few things:

1. Every panel is different and thus views things from a different angle. I have seen people go from "non-select" to "primary select" and changed NOTHING in their package. Likewise, I have seen people go from "7th alternate" to "non-select" after revamping it. It just depends on the people on panel.

2. *DO NOT* get a letter from your congressman. We know they are bullshit , carry no weight and in all probability, we know he/she does not really know you.

3. Your narrative is your only way of communicating with the panel and explaining to them why you want to be an officer. *DO NOT* say anything that makes you sound humble or lacking confidence. Talk about your goals and where you see yourself if you were selected. Talk about leadership experiences you had in your life when you had to overcome a major challenge. *LESS IS NOT MORE* use the full amount of pages allocated to you (2?). Have 3 people proofread your paper. If you have a glaring spelling error or grammar error, you are done.

4. If you cannot find 5 awards, you better find SOMETHING. Most people manage to find 5 awards. Why cannot you? Figure it out.

5. Your letters of recommendation cannot be generic. They should specifically mention your name and why you would be a great officer in the Coast Guard along with examples of leadership.

6. Consider enlisting if you are not selected. We love to recruit from our own ranks when possible.

7. If your GPA is under 3.0, it is going to work against you.
    bmew1995

--
    16 Mar 2017 08:56 AM
    Thank you Andioss, I actually have a boot camp ship date of June 27th for the very reason you mentioned! My narrative is certainly the full two pages, and it will still be the full two pages after revising it to show action, result, and impact. My final college GPA will be above 3.0, it currently is above, it will just be higher. Thank you for the advice. All of this has been extremely useful and I will take all of it to heart when reviewing all of the application documents that I am responsible for.
    gogocoastie

--
    16 Mar 2017 01:27 PM
    I was just selected in the most recent OCS-R round. Everything Andisoss said to do, I did. So there is truth in that. However, my GPA for my bachelors degree met the bare minimum (2.5) and I do not have a STEM degree. I knew this would be a issue with my application so I did extra work elsewhere in my packet to make it competitive. I also registered to get my masters degree online just to show some initiative. One other thing I did that may help you is volunteer on a regular basis. Not only volunteer, but set up volunteer opportunities to encourage your shipmates once you get in the fleet. This will show great leadership potential. And like others said, personal letters of recommendation show who you are as a person. A personal letter from a teacher or coach will go much further than a letter from a representative who will simply insert your name in a pre-made letter. Best of luck with everything, and if you need any help in the future just message me.
    Andisoss

--
    16 Mar 2017 03:23 PM
    As I said, every panel is different. Some could care less about the GPA while others are ultra critical of it. I have seen it used as a tie breaker in many instances. 

Also, good call on volunteering. I forgot to mention that. As someone who is prior enlisted, I can tell you that you were able to get by just fine without volunteering. But you cannot hide as an officer. You are *expected* to volunteer if you want to make it past O3. 
    bmew1995

--
    16 Mar 2017 07:32 PM
    I am extremely active within my communities, so no worries there. Once I have a steady income and more time availability I will be able to do more with local Boy Scout and Sea Scout units.
    ljrh

--
    27 Mar 2017 06:23 PM
    I know they probably aren't recommended, but will high school sports awards be fine too? Like all-conference 1st team for example?

bmew1995

--
    17 Apr 2017 05:50 PM
    It is discouraged to use awards from high school. If they're all you have, then I suppose you could. I didn't play sports in high school (I was your run of the mill couch potato in high school). First sport I even played was rugby--and I started playing my junior year of college. No sport awards for me.
    ljrh

--
    25 Apr 2017 10:55 PM
    @bmew1995 Thanks! Best of luck!
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement