Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
First Friday PT test requirements
Last Post 17 Apr 2017 06:45 PM by bmew1995. 13 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Garrettribble99

--
18 Mar 2017 11:48 PM
    What are the requirements on the first Friday. 
    I'm good on push-ups and sit-ups just nervous about the run
    My 1.5 mile run is between 12 and 13:30. I leave to bootcamp in a week 

Allowatsakima2

--
    19 Mar 2017 06:39 AM
    My run time was pretty bad before I went. However you will be running with the rest of the company so it will make it easier. My run times were like 13:30-14:00 before I went and I ran a 11:47 that first Friday then the pt test at week 5 I ran it 10:47. If you're worried about the run try to better prepare yourself. Push yourself before you go and trying doing spint intervals. Don't do like I did. Try to be ready before you go.

SN DAKE
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    m1ashooter

--
    19 Mar 2017 10:58 AM
    There are a couple of things you can do to become a better runner and they are all in your head. Think about something like a wolf chasing you. You can also go to Youtube and listen to Military Running Cadences. Here we go motivated is a good one. Imprint it in your brain and it will help you establish a pace and help you press through the wall.
    Trusted Member
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    mkelly

--
    20 Mar 2017 08:07 PM
    Working on the mental aspect of running is important but there are plenty of physical things you can, and should, do to improve your running. It seems like you have been worried about your running for about a month now. In that time period you should have been able to do some lunges and leg strengthening exercises along with running. Speed work such as 100, 200, 300, and 400 repeats will greatly increase your speed and decrease your overall time. Doing tempo runs where you run for a prescribed period of time at a faster pace will help. Fartlek runs will help your pace. Doing everything you could have physically done to prepare yourself for bootcamp would also help alleviate the mental stress. If you get to the run and start thinking about the times you wanted to run but chose to do something else, there isn't much you can do about that.
    Sometimes running with large groups helps you run faster but not if the majority of the group is slow. Sometimes people have a hard time performing while tired and under stress.....which is exactly the environment you will be in. Don't leave it up to your boot camp company to pace you. Go into boot camp knowing you are well within the PT requirements.
    You have agreed to a job and know exactly what the prerequisites are. Do not show up to the job unsure if you can meet them. Be confident in your how you have prepared for this job. You've asked multiple times about the PT test requirements. Be confident in how you have prepared mentally and physically. If you have put in the work, believe in yourself.
    bmew1995

--
    21 Mar 2017 09:30 AM
    Only way to get better at running is to run more, that's a tale as old as time. As mkelly stated: fartleks, interval/speed work, and tempo training are excellent for speed and/or pace work. In addition to those, I recommend long runs that are at least 3-miles and preferably, 5-miles or longer. If you want to be able to run 1.5-miles easily, you need to be able to muster 5-miles. Have fun at basic. Semper paratus.
    Garrettribble99

--
    22 Mar 2017 12:32 AM
    I ran 1.5 miles today in 12:02, I don't want to be over confident in the ability to do something and then show up and fail. I feel like If your not worried about not being good enough you'll never get better. Thanks you guys on the feed back. I leave in roughly 5 days. I'm pretty close to my weight limit I have weighed in at MEPs and my dep meetings everytime at 208 and my max is 214 I weigh in the mornings at home it says 203-205 normally but not sure how accurate a $10 scale from Walmart is. I've lost almost 60 lbs since I first spoke to a recruiter just having a hard time getting under 200. Maybe bootcamp will help me get over that hump.
    Garrettribble99

--
    22 Mar 2017 12:32 AM
    I ran 1.5 miles today in 12:02, I don't want to be over confident in the ability to do something and then show up and fail. I feel like If your not worried about not being good enough you'll never get better. Thanks you guys on the feed back. I leave in roughly 5 days. I'm pretty close to my weight limit I have weighed in at MEPs and my dep meetings everytime at 208 and my max is 214 I weigh in the mornings at home it says 203-205 normally but not sure how accurate a $10 scale from Walmart is. I've lost almost 60 lbs since I first spoke to a recruiter just having a hard time getting under 200. Maybe bootcamp will help me get over that hump.
    Trusted Member
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    mkelly

--
    22 Mar 2017 10:32 AM
    You can't worry about not being good enough. You have to be confident in your ability to get better. Its okay to know that you have room to improve, but when the time comes for you to perform, you have to be confident in your process. You have to be confident in the work that you put in and know that you did everything that you could have done. When the time comes for you to run, you have to be able to snuff out the doubt and know that you can do it.
    If you have put in the work, trust your process and your ability. Be careful with your weight. If you go into boot camp close to your max weight and put on weight, they cannot give you orders to your first unit. You have to meet the weight standards to get orders to any new unit.
    sharpshooter88

--
    04 Apr 2017 11:56 AM
    I saw on different topics that you have to complete the 1.5 run in 11 minutes or you get sent home. Is that true? Does anyone know.
    Trusted Member
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    mkelly

--
    05 Apr 2017 06:21 PM
    I don't know about that. A recruiter can probably let you know best. Just ask your recruiter.....ORRRRR you can just plan on running it 11 minutes or faster and there won't be a problem.
    DreamBig

--
    05 Apr 2017 08:40 PM
    My recruiter hasn't mentioned this, however you should try to go above the minimum standards even if it isn't true, 11 minutes would allow you to breeze through the 1.5 mile run. As mkelly said don't stop training. See if you can be the first one to finish the run. Personally I'm trying to make boot camp as easy as possible so I can enjoy it and have good memories.
    jjordan864

--
    17 Apr 2017 08:14 AM
    Regardless to what the minimums are, I would'nt want to just make at 12:30. To me, 12:00 is still cutting it a little close. I have been setting my goals for 11:00 - 11:30 for the fact I do not know what the stress situation will be like the day PT test occurs.
    jjordan864

--
    17 Apr 2017 08:14 AM
    Regardless to what the minimums are, I would'nt want to just make at 12:30. To me, 12:00 is still cutting it a little close. I have been setting my goals for 11:00 - 11:30 for the fact I do not know what the stress situation will be like the day PT test occurs.
    bmew1995

--
    17 Apr 2017 06:45 PM
    Strive to hit full marks. Strive for 9:30 1.5-miler. Strive for 60 push-ups in 2 minutes (to cadence). Strive for max sit ups. Strive to be the best. Arnold Schwarzenegger's first rule is: Ignore the naysayers. But if you're the naysayer, it is hard to ignore yourself. Don't doubt your ability--know that you can.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement