Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Waiting for MEPS to approve prescreen-how long is too long?
Last Post 02 May 2017 07:38 AM by jjordan864. 5 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
746person

--
22 Mar 2017 03:39 PM
    Hello all,
    I'm currently waiting on my medical prescreen to be approved so I can be scheduled for my physical at MEPS. It's been almost two months so I'm starting to get worried, and I've been hearing a lot of contradicting information so I was wondering if anyone here might know anything. My recruiter keeps saying he hasn't heard anything and MEPS is just slow, but a lot of what I've been reading online has said prescreen approval shouldn't take more than a week at the most, and I've talked to someone who is enlisting through the same recruiting station that I am who's prescreen was submitted in the same week that mine was, who heard back in a couple of days. 

So basically, my questions are:
    Is it normal to have to wait several months to hear back from MEPS about a prescreen?
    Is there anything I can do to speed up the process or check on my status (beyond asking my recruiter, who just says he hasn't heard)?
    At what point, if any, can I try to talk to another recruiter or ask to resubmit my paperwork-6 months? A year? 

Thanks in advance for any help
    Trusted Member / Recruiter
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    thestormiscoming

--
    22 Mar 2017 07:21 PM
    Are you processing through MEPS New York? Because I routinely see 1-2 month turnaround times for prescreens. On the flip side I just had one (25 page prescreen) approved by MEPS Albany in three days. Switching to a another recruiter will do nothing but start your process over again. If your recruiter could move forward, they would. I do poke a bit harder at MEPS when I approach the two month mark though, as that's just way too long.
    Pineywoods

--
    22 Mar 2017 08:39 PM
    I'm not sure what the normal turnaround is. I first spoke with a recruiter 3 weeks ago by phone, sat down for an interview the next week, filled out my pre-screen last Monday, and did my ASVAB/physical at MEPS Monday and yesterday. I can't imagine why the prescreen would take so long. Maybe it depends on the particular MEPS that you are dealing with. I am near Houston. Good luck.. I hope you hear back soon.
    746person

--
    23 Mar 2017 09:55 AM
    I am processing in New York in fact! Thank you so much, that makes me feel a lot better. And I do have quite a bit of documentation to look through. I wasn't sure whether that would affect the wait time or not as my recruiter kind of made it sound like the wait was just to get the file in front of a doctor. I'll give it at least the full two months and some extra and see how it goes.
    My problem is I really wasn't planning on staying in New York this long and if it really is taking an unreasonably long time I'd rather move somewhere else and start the process over (and hopefully it would move more quickly, and if not at least I wouldn't be stuck here waiting).
    Again, thank you so much, this is a huge load off my mind.
    Trusted Member / Recruiter
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    thestormiscoming

--
    23 Mar 2017 03:47 PM
    MEPS New York is the second largest in the country with throughput, behind LA, and they are understaffed right now with the medical folks, so pre-screens are taking a long time.
    jjordan864

--
    02 May 2017 07:38 AM
    1-2 month is pretty normal, and really all depends on how much medical documents you have submitted. I had a couple of surgeries and basically turned in a 600 pg report to them along with some other medical history and it took them about 3-4. it doesnt hurt to check in with your recruiter once every couple of weeks to see if they have heard anything.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement