Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Can't decide which branch.... Info/advice please
Last Post 03 Apr 2017 07:51 PM by Gears. 7 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
DC1998

--
02 Apr 2017 09:40 AM
    I posted this question in another part of the forum with no response so I thought maybe it was in the wrong place? Sorry for double posting it if that is a problem. I just copied and pasted so I didn't have to type it all again.

I am a male high school senior. I am trying to figure my future out.  I have some opportunities to play soccer in college with mostly D3 schools as well as some Juco's with bigger school aspirations eventually and at least one D2 school. I love soccer. It am tired of school. I was thinking of giving school a break an
     enlisting into the military for an initial contract and then think about getting out and going to school full time while playing soccer.  I have had a few family members in the Coast Guard, most closely related is my grandfather. Buuuuut my father is in the Army and randomly he is a recruiter. He isn't pushing me in any direction as far as going to college or even which branch. We have talked about every branch and I have got it down to Army or Coast Guard. He has told me about the Army enlistment process and he has sat down with the Coast Guard counselor at the meps to get the full story of the Coast Guard process.  

I am interested in both and cannot choose. Army because I can pick the exact job that I want that I qualify for before I even join. Coast Guard job selection comes after enlisting and at a duty assignment after an on the job training process?  Army is the bigger branch so faster promotion? And a lot of different opportunities with schools and training. But I like the idea of the Coast Giards duty stations and the idea of a smaller branch.  

Can anyone who might know, give some insight on the Coast Guards promotion, time for college and the jobs.

Ultimately I want to be a game warden or something similar once I've figured it all out.

Also, after reading through the forums and seeing the various wait times for the A school training, what do you do while you are waiting? I read one post ablt a 3 year wait for the ME job. What would I be doing while waiting a month, year or even 3?

Talking to my dad and he said that growing up  they spent all of their time between Elizabeth Ciry and Air Station in Puerto Rico and eventuall in Clearwater, FL.  His dad was an AT? Navigates C130 and worked something called Slar? My dad said he really enjoyed Puerto Rico as a kid and Elizabeth City was ok, close enough to VA Beach and Outer Banks. He ended up joining the Army while they were in Clearwater. He said he enlisted into the Army because he always went against the grain. 

I rather make my decision on good advice and a educated choice lol

Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    sardaddy

--
    02 Apr 2017 10:12 AM
    I served in the Army and the Coast Guard in my career. What job do you want to do? That can make it an easy choice. If you want to be an infantryman, easy choice. If you want to be a BM, easy choice. Quick promotions are relative. Some jobs in the Army promote very slowly. Some jobs in the CG promote very quickly.

As your dad will tell you, the lifestyles are very different so chose wisely. Good luck on whatever you choose.
    Trusted Member
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    mkelly

--
    02 Apr 2017 10:26 AM
    The first thing that I think of while reading your post is that if you join the military first, you will not be able to play DI or DII college sports after you get out. Your NCAA eligibility will be past unless you only enlist for 3 years. If that is the case, you might have a year of eligibility remaining. You can probably play DIII or NAIA.
    The second thing I noticed is that there is a big difference in picking jobs in the Army and Coast Guard. If you score high enough on the ASVAB and don't have any security clearance problems, you will be able to choose from ANY enlisted rating the Coast Guard has to offer. Every single one is on the table for you. In the army, you can pick from any job that they need to fill. Not any job at all. If they don't need anybody for the job you want in the Army, you don't choose from that one.
    The questions that you asked require fairly in depth responses. I'm going to do my best at answering them while making breakfast for my kids and may leave a couple of things out. The Coast Guard promotion process is multi faceted contingent on time in service, time in grade, sea time, award points, employee enlisted reviews and the service wide exam that you can take every 6 months. You can only take the service wide exam after you have demonstrated that you can do some of the required tasks of the next pay raise and its signed off by an instructor. Once all of those things are calculated it will depends on how many service members they need at the next pay grade up...how many retired...got kicked out....got out...
    You can go to college while in the Coast Guard but you might have to wait a year or two until you get settled in. You can also get most of it paid for if you use tuition assistance and you won't have to dip into your GI bill.
    After boot camp, you go to your first unit as a non rate and work there until you go off to your "A" school for the job that you chose. Wait times are not 3 years right now. ME is 24 months right now. Most everything else is under a year. At your first unit you will be working, and learning. You should have time to see what other ratings do and make an informed decision on what you would like to do in the Coast Guard. Your job will depends on what type of unit you go to first. You may have enough time to start school here after you are qualified in the jobs that you will be doing at the unit.
    You said talking to my dad and then you said his dad. Thats a bit confusing. So far Iv'e been in the Coast Guard about 8 years and I have been to the Washington D.C. area, Elizabeth City, North Bend, OR, and now I'm heading to Cape Cod. You'll have plenty of opportunities to see and experience some awesome things.
    The Army and the Coast Guard are two completely different services and you just need to decide what types of job you'd like to be doing. It has been my experience that overall, Coast Guard members like their jobs more than the Army but that isn't to say that some people in the Army love their jobs as well.
    DC1998

--
    02 Apr 2017 10:27 AM
    Sardaddy, Thanks for the info. I want something that will give me experience towards becoming a game warden. While in I want to work towards my degree in probably wildlife management. With the Army I fee that military police would help with experience but in the Coast Guard I think that ME or maybe MST would be great.

What was your experience in both branches as far as taking college classes? My dad has said that his dad was home way more than he has been. His dad would occasionally be gone to Newfoundland or Gitmo? But it wasn't for too long.

Which jobs in the Coast Guard would have a faster and slower promotion rate?

If you don't mind me asking what your jobs were in both branches and which branch did you prefer after doing them both?

And
    Trusted Member
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    mkelly

--
    02 Apr 2017 10:34 AM
    I've only been the Coast Guard. I went to college right out of high school, got my degrees and worked in in my field for a while. I went into the Coast Guard at 28. I spent my first two years in the honor guard and was able to interact a lot with the other branches. An MP in the Army is going to be a lot different than an ME in the Coast Guard and they are all really different than an MST.
    You can click on the link on the home page or google uscg "A" school list and it will show you the wait times and requirements for the "A" schools. You should not get into a job based on the promotion speed. I'm an AST and the promotion speed is super slow for us but I feel like we have the best job in the Coast Guard. There is no point in doing a job that promotes faster but you do not like.
    In the Coast Guard you are going to be away from home at times. Thats just the way it goes. It really depends on your job though. I see my family plenty and get to spend a lot of time with them. The CG is really good about making sure your family life is in order.
    Trusted Member
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    mkelly

--
    02 Apr 2017 10:36 AM
    Also, you can delete your repeated question in he other forum category. It only needs to be placed in one spot.
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    sardaddy

--
    03 Apr 2017 01:58 PM
    Before I go too far, realize that it doesn't matter what service you join, or what job you do, you will get some good experience that you can apply in the future.

There are some MPs in the Army who actually perform game warden duties but I have no idea how many, or what you need to do to get the job. If you want to learn to crawl around and survive in the woods, the Army, would be a better bet. If you want to be on the water more, the CG is a better choice. As an MP, you can do anything from stand at the front gate to doing regular police duties, to patrolling in a foreign country. It is usually pretty easy to get an MP job if that is what you want.

Taking college classes varies greatly depending on your job, luck, and personal commitment, not necessarily the service you join. Regardless of the service, you will have people with the same job in the same place as you who will say there is no time for classes while you finish your degree. With that said, there are times you just won't be able to take classes. I earned a Bachelor's in the Army and a Master's in the Coast Guard so it can be done.

If you want a particular job, the promotion rate is irrelevant. Just do the job and do it well.

Since you asked, I enlisted as an aviation electronics technician in the Army, then applied to flight training and was an Apache pilot for the rest of my 10 years. I went into the Coast Guard as a pilot and retired 15 years later. Both services had their pros and cons. I liked both for different reasons.

Good luck

Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    03 Apr 2017 07:51 PM
    There's no need to double post or post in HUGE font. This site is maintained by a group of dedicated volunteers. It might take a day or two for someone to stop by and provide an answer. Patience is key. If you find yourself in any branch of the military you learn to wait like it's your job.

If you're interested in being a game warden I would recommend Googling the game warden requirements for your state. I have no doubt they have someone who would be happy to answer your questions and give you some insight on how to join their ranks. I can't think of a better resource than asking the people who are already employed by the agency you're interested in.
    “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement