Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Appealing a denied medical waiver?
Last Post 18 Apr 2017 07:16 PM by mkelly. 2 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
flyingscot15

--
17 Apr 2017 11:00 PM

Before I start I just wanted to say this is my first time posting here so if I'm in the wrong place please point me in the correct direction! Thanks in advance.

Okay so where do I begin. When I was 8 years old I was diagnosed with a heart condition called Wolff Parkinson White syndrome (WPW). It had something to do with my heart but tbh I don't even remember exactly what it is. I had corrective surgery for it shortly after I was diagnosed and everything was cured and taken care of here I am 11 years later trying to enlist in the Coast Guard. Nowadays I'm in great shape, running and lifting every day with no medical issues.

I've been trying to enlist since September. On my first trip to meps I didn't lie on my medical questionnaire and disclosed the surgery. Over the period of 6 months I've been back to meps for medical consultations and testing probably around 5 times. Eventually in late March meps disqualified me.

No big deal I thought, we'll just apply for a waiver. WPW isn't a disqualifying condition as long as it's been cured. Well I just got a call today from my recruiter saying my waiver was denied because of an abnormal ecg that they did during one of my medical consultations. The thing is though I have copies of all of those records and the doctors say in those records that there is nothing abnormal with them.

What do I do now? Is there anything else I can do? This was really my one plan, I've been training and working for this for a long time. I scored a 92 on my asvab and all I've wanted to do for the past couple years is to join the Coast Guard 

For anyone with medical experience here's a summary of the ecg. (All personal information has been removed) https://imgur.com/a/0LCT0

jjordan864

--
    18 Apr 2017 01:00 PM
    I have SVT which is which is also a heart condition that is on the disqualified list, I passed medical without a waiver. the that helps beyond bringing all supporting medical documents is a medical release from the doctor who either performed surgery or the doctor that diagnosed you. I didnt haave the release at the time I was about to go to MEPs and I told my recruiter. He told me to go to the doctor that diagnosed me and get a full medical release. Its a good idea regardless because they should do you a full check on the issue. But I would make sure to let your doctor know your situation about trying to join the Coast Guard and have them state that you are able to perform all physical/ athletic/ military activities with no restrictions.

Trusted Member
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    mkelly

--
    18 Apr 2017 07:16 PM
    Well, the doctors aren't saying that there is nothing abnormal. They denied your medical waiver due to the results of the ECG. There are two abnormalities showing up on this ECG; ventricular and supraventricular ectopic activities. It looks like you had 4 different instances with premature beats. The Sinus arrhythmia is nothing to worry about. That is just you heart rate increasing while you breath. Normally those irregular heart beats aren't that big of an issue but combined with your prior history WPW, this might be what is concerning them. I am not a doctor. I have my degree in sports medicine and that is just my interpretation of the results. Hope it helps.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement