Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
AST
Last Post 22 Apr 2017 05:49 AM by Auxnoob. 6 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
kook

--
19 Apr 2017 02:24 PM
    I leave for Cape May in August. Not worried about the physical aspect of training there but I want to get a head start on the training for A school, even though I wouldn't be going for quite a few months after basic training. Only because I know people have a hard time there. But failing out isn't going to be an option for me. super determined. Thanks in an advanced! And sorry if it has been posted before, I just couldn't find anything.
    kook

--
    19 Apr 2017 02:35 PM
    Edit** I didn't realize the summary didn't post but. I'm looking for training plans/workout plans lol. Thanks.
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    ebee

--
    19 Apr 2017 05:24 PM
    If you know you want to go AST, speak to your recruiter about the new guaranteed AST A School program. It is pretty new, but the goal is to help perspective AST recruits better prepare for school.
    Trusted Member
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    mkelly

--
    20 Apr 2017 09:31 AM
    There is a lot of advice here on training if you read through the threads. You'll also get some training time with AST's once you get out of boot camp. If you can, get yourself some scuba pro jet fins, a sea vision mask and snorkel(one without a purge), and start swimming with those. Work on your water confidence. With the new program you'll be evaluated in boot camp and should be able to complete the AST PT test before you leave for boot camp. Make sure your form is correct with everything and no kipping on pull ups.
    You can start training now but once you get to boot camp, you will really the specific fitness you gained before. Its probably best to start working on getting comfortable with the mask and fins and doing some under water work. Make sure you have a partner in the pool when doing any under water work.
    Kreske

--
    20 Apr 2017 03:30 PM
    biggest problem with AST candidates is a weak buddy tow and weak upper leg and core strength. Id work on those things first and get comfortable with the above mentioned fins/booties/mask combo in the pool.
    kook

--
    21 Apr 2017 10:33 AM
    Thanks Guys! I'll definitely talk to my recruiter about the guaranteed A school program. My buddy in the navy has a set of old fins that he gave me to practice with. I'm pretty confident in the water. I've been surfing my whole life ( getting eaten by double over head swells and not panicking )
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Auxnoob

--
    22 Apr 2017 05:49 AM
    The Coast Guard is starting a program looking for guys like you. They are trying to get surfers and water polo players to look into the AST program. There is a newspaper article in the Maui paper. Google "Coast Guard surfer" and it should turn up. If not, PM me and I'll get you a link.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement