I am considering joining the USCG as an officer. I am looking at several different jobs, two of which are Intelligence and Engineering. I have looked at gocoastguard.com and https://www.uscg.mil/opm/Opm3/opm-3OSMSSpecialty.asp for information about the career paths, but I would like to know more. I have also read through the Intelligence Officer Career
(1) Do you have any experience in either of these fields? Do you know anyone who does?
(2) I see online there is a Direct Commission for both Intelligence (DCIO) and Engineering (DCE). Is that the only path to these jobs? What would it take to get into the DCE or DCIO program? (I have a BS degree in Computer Engineering and will have worked in Cyber for 1-1.5 years before I could join).
(3) What is the job like? For example: Do you stare at a computer all day long? What is a typical day like, an atypical day? Paint me a picture of what life is like in either of these two jobs.
(4) What places could I expect to be located?
(5) How frequent are deployments, and how long? And if it just depends, give me a range.
(6) Is promotion faster/slower/average compared to other jobs?
(7) Do you recommend other resources I can read?
(8) Anything else.
Please note that I have not yet contacted a recruiter. I want to do my research first so I can go to the recruiter knowing exactly what jobs I want most - to show that I have put in the time to research and that am serious about this.