Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Need advice for Intelligence or Engineering
Last Post 19 May 2017 07:01 AM by sardaddy. 6 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
CGqwerty

--
23 Apr 2017 04:18 PM
    I am considering joining the USCG as an officer. I am looking at several different jobs, two of which are Intelligence and Engineering. I have looked at gocoastguard.com and https://www.uscg.mil/opm/Opm3/opm-3OSMSSpecialty.asp for information about the career paths, but I would like to know more. I have also read through the Intelligence Officer Career Guide.

(1) Do you have any experience in either of these fields? Do you know anyone who does?
    (2) I see online there is a Direct Commission for both Intelligence (DCIO) and Engineering (DCE). Is that the only path to these jobs? What would it take to get into the DCE or DCIO program? (I have a BS degree in Computer Engineering and will have worked in Cyber for 1-1.5 years before I could join).
    (3) What is the job like? For example: Do you stare at a computer all day long? What is a typical day like, an atypical day? Paint me a picture of what life is like in either of these two jobs.
    (4) What places could I expect to be located?
    (5) How frequent are deployments, and how long? And if it just depends, give me a range.
    (6) Is promotion faster/slower/average compared to other jobs?
    (7) Do you recommend other resources I can read?
    (8) Anything else.

Please note that I have not yet contacted a recruiter. I want to do my research first so I can go to the recruiter knowing exactly what jobs I want most - to show that I have put in the time to research and that am serious about this. 
    Ashton23

--
    25 Apr 2017 08:57 AM
    DCIO requires 5 years of experience. Recruiter told me to come back after I met the requirements. That was back in 2011. I was selected for DCIO in 2016. So if Intel is something you want, continue to put the time in, and apply when you're eligible. DCE is maybe the better path if you prefer not to wait.
    CGqwerty

--
    25 Apr 2017 01:11 PM
    Thanks for the reply. I would rather not wait, so DCE will be the better path. If I were to successfully become a DCE, would it be possible to transition to Intelligence at a later time? And is Direct Commission the only path to Engineering or Intelligence, or could I just as well go to OCS and for a 'regular' commission?
    Andisoss

--
    30 Apr 2017 01:08 PM
    It is possible to transition from C4IT (DCE) to Intelligence, but it is not an assured thing by any means. You need to remember with DCE (or any Direct Commission program for that matter) you are being hired for a specific purpose. In this case, your (computer) engineering skills. You will probably have to complete at least two tours before they would consider letting you try something different, only because its good for long term professional development.

If you go to OCS, you will most likely end up with a more traditional officer job (Afloat or Ashore Enforcement/Prevention).
    CGqwerty

--
    01 May 2017 05:39 AM
    It is possible to transition from C4IT (DCE) to Intelligence, but it is not an assured thing by any means. You need to remember with DCE (or any Direct Commission program for that matter) you are being hired for a specific purpose. In this case, your (computer) engineering skills. You will probably have to complete at least two tours before they would consider letting you try something different, only because its good for long term professional development.
    Understood, thanks. Could you give any insight on what DCEs do? Is it mostly technical work similar to a civilian engineering job? Or more like a management/leadership role?

If you go to OCS, you will most likely end up with a more traditional officer job (Afloat or Ashore Enforcement/Prevention).
    This is fine as well. Soon I will be posting questions about some of these more traditional jobs I am interested in.

Andisoss

--
    01 May 2017 05:41 PM
    Project Management, Personnel Management and Leadership mainly, but if you work at one of the "Centers of Excellence" there is a chance to get your hands dirty still. The whole concept is that you are an officer in the Coast Guard who has the technical expertise to know what the hell you are managing. You might not know how to set up an enterprise virtual desktop server, but you know enough about how it works to hire the right people and see the project thru, for example.
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    sardaddy

--
    19 May 2017 07:01 AM
    Yes, you can become an engineering officer or intel officer by going through OCS. Direct commission programs are there to fill only a few slots. The rest come from OCS or Academy graduates.

Promotions for officers are pretty standard. It doesn't matter what job you have, you will be on the same promotion schedule as everyone else.

You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement