Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Looking into joining.
Last Post 03 May 2017 12:49 PM by Tex8492. 4 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Tex8492

--
01 May 2017 07:20 PM
    Good evening folks,

Hope this is the right place to ask. I've been kicking around the idea of joining either as a reserve or active coast guard member. I will be 25 yo in a few weeks and so far my professional career goals really haven't taken off yet. I am currently a FF/EMT with a municipal department and a volunteer FF/EMT with a another department.  I also have 7 years of law enforcement/security experience. I'm still missing that one piece and i believe joining the Coast Guard could help me achieve that. I'm not in the best physical shape currently and i definitely need to improve upon that. I can do some push-ups and knock out about 25 sit ups. Running is not my favorite past time but i can do it lol. Lastly i have about 68 credits and i'm almost done with my AAS. 

So with all that being said what are my options? I can't take off from work for 8 weeks unless i did active duty and just put my notice in. Would Depot/DEEP be an option for me? I mean i'm all for getting the most training one could get but i just can't take 8 weeks off from work.

I'm familiar with how the reserves work and i am about 3 hrs from the coast give or take. Travel is not a problem. 

Resserve Chief/Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    CPORJM

--
    01 May 2017 10:44 PM
    I've been in the Reserve for 16 years, so I can help out here. It all depends on what you want to do. If you still enjoy your civilian employment, the the Reserves may be your best option. However, I see you're about three hours from the nearest CG unit, so I'm guessing about 200 miles one way. Understand that anything over 50 miles one way and you'll be making that commute on your dime. I don't recommend this for junior enlisted members, as it can eat up your drill pay in a hurry. Something else to consider is, that while making that commute seems acceptable now, will you still be wanting to do it 3-4-5 years from now? The other thing to know is that there needs to be an opening (billet) in the job you want, in a nearby unit. Unlike the active duty side, the Reserve side recruits to fill specific billets. The AD side recruits you, and then finds a job for you.

As for DEPOT, that's for those who are enlisting on the basis of their civilian job skill set. There are no jobs in the CG for Reservists that directly relate to firefighting. Since you are an EMT, you *may* be able to pursue the HS (Health Services Techician) rating. DEEP is for those who have a minimum of 60 units, so it seems you would qualify for this program as well. The kicker for these two programs is that you need to be a minimum of 27 years old. That being said, you could always request an age waiver.

Stuff to think about.

"When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."-Jonathan Swift
    Tex8492

--
    02 May 2017 10:47 AM
    Thanks for the info.  The rates i'm mainly interested in are BM,AMT,DC,GM,ME,MST,IS,HST. That being said i personally rather do something out and about. I can already be a administrative person stuck in an office all day. The closest CG unit to me would either be MSST Houston or Air Station Houston. Those are both roughly 115 miles from me. I've been to the ship channel numerous times. 

The type of job i'm looking for would hopefully involve SAR,LE and environmental response. It's my understanding that a Air station won't have many reserve billets if at all. That leaves the MSST. I also have 3 other stations a little further down the road. MSU Texas City, CG Galveston, CG Freeport. As far as making the drive goes it won't be too much of a problem. If you live in Tx there is a good chance you have a commute. 

As for Depot i do have hazmat certs as well as my normal firefighter certs. What type of careers are applicable to DC & MST rating? Also would being involved in law enforcement qualify? I'm not a certified peace officer but i do have 7 years of experience.    

Lastly how likely would it be for me to get the age waiver? I know i'm currently a little over the weight requirements for my height. I would also need to work on passing/exceeding the PAT requirements. If it helps any i can pass any background check needed.  Thanks in advance.   
    Resserve Chief/Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    CPORJM

--
    02 May 2017 02:03 PM
    Posted By Tex8492 on 02 May 2017 10:47 AM
    Thanks for the info.  The rates i'm mainly interested in are BM,AMT,DC,GM,ME,MST,IS,HST. That being said i personally rather do something out and about. I can already be a administrative person stuck in an office all day. The closest CG unit to me would either be MSST Houston or Air Station Houston. Those are both roughly 115 miles from me. I've been to the ship channel numerous times. 

The type of job i'm looking for would hopefully involve SAR,LE and environmental response. It's my understanding that a Air station won't have many reserve billets if at all. That leaves the MSST. I also have 3 other stations a little further down the road. MSU Texas City, CG Galveston, CG Freeport. As far as making the drive goes it won't be too much of a problem. If you live in Tx there is a good chance you have a commute. 

As for Depot i do have hazmat certs as well as my normal firefighter certs. What type of careers are applicable to DC & MST rating? Also would being involved in law enforcement qualify? I'm not a certified peace officer but i do have 7 years of experience.    

Lastly how likely would it be for me to get the age waiver? I know i'm currently a little over the weight requirements for my height. I would also need to work on passing/exceeding the PAT requirements. If it helps any i can pass any background check needed.  Thanks in advance.   

You're correct in that there are no Reserve billets in the aviation community. The remaining ratings that you're interested in all have Reservists associated with them. You will need to be able to qualify for a Secret clearance for all the ratings you mention, with the exception of IS. This one requires a Top Secret clearance. Since MST is one of your ratings of interest, your HAZMAT certs will provide a good background, and possibly qualify you for DEPOT. As for LE experience, you need to have worked as a certified LEO to use that experience toward the ME rating. Your best source of info relating to an age waiver would be your local recruiting office. They'll also be able to tell you what billets are currently available in your area.
    "When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."-Jonathan Swift
    Tex8492

--
    03 May 2017 12:49 PM
    Alright thanks for the info. I will probably hold off in contacting a recruiter till i can get in shape. Don't see a point in contacting till i know i can meet the weight requirements and pass the PAT.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement