Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Which rates have a good chance of being stationed on a cutter?
Last Post 14 May 2017 12:54 PM by Gears. 5 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
11b2uscg

--
02 May 2017 02:49 PM
    Hello all,

I am leaving for DEPOT this July, and am still a little all over the place as far as what A school I will want to sign up for. Im prior service Army, and will be coming out of DEPOT as an E3. I know I dont have to decide now, but I have been looking at both cutter and boat/air station lifestyles, and was wondering what jobs would land you on a cutter? Obviously aviation rates generally go to air stations, but which rates most often find themselves on cutters? 

Thank you all for your input in advance.
    Resserve Chief/Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    CPORJM

--
    02 May 2017 03:52 PM
    I can't think of too many ratings that aren't afloat, besides aviation
    "When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."-Jonathan Swift
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    05 May 2017 05:06 PM
    MST is the rate that will typically not be underway. There are only a few billets for MST's on cutters. The largest contingent is probably BM & MK but everything is needed... OS, CS, YN, HS, SK, DC, just about everything. Best of luck in the decision. Thank you for your prior service and welcome aboard to the CG.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    stealthtt24

--
    06 May 2017 07:30 AM
    ME's have a pretty lower percentage on cutters but they are on there. Like Chief said, aviation isn't billeted on cutters some will go on patrols from time to time. Definitely MST's. As far as what is billeted for cutters MK, DC, BM, OS, CS, EM, GM, ET, a few HS's IT's SK's and YN's, possible an ME or two. Id say with the ladder rates your chances are much lower of getting stationed on a cutter.
    11b2uscg

--
    12 May 2017 12:09 PM
    Thank you everyone for your input. At this point in time I am not 100% sure what direction I want to go, I just know I either want to get my hands dirty in law enforcment/drug interdiction, or frequently being directly involved in SAR calls (im sure its no fun when the alarm goes off at 3am lol but saving lives is worth the sacrifice). I know those are opposites, but they both interest me quite a bit, and for that reason I have been thinking BM, but, I have also heard great things about aviation, so in that case a cutter would be unlikely.

I know I dont have to decide now, but any info helps. I am looking for whatever culture/unit/job that will give me a sense of purpose worth sacrificing for, knowing my work means something (but without having TOO shitty quality of life if at all possible since I am pretty set on going career and retiring). Didnt get that in the army lol. Thanks again guys!
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    14 May 2017 12:54 PM
    As an E-3 you'll definitely be getting your hands dirty.. wiping up oil, mess cooking, cleaning, and standing watch. Once you get to the fleet you'll have a pretty good idea of who is involved in what and how much. I'm a patrol boat in Miami. We see plenty of LE, SAR, and Migrant/Drug interdiction, plus we do other stuff. We have MKs, BMs, a GM, EMs. a DC, and CSs on board to handle everything.
    “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement