Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Marriage before bootcamp?
Last Post 19 May 2017 11:34 AM by Strix. 14 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Strix

--
11 May 2017 05:03 PM
    My fiance and I have been engaged for a few months and had set a wedding for next year, but since my path has taken me to the CG, will getting married before boot camp harm my standing with the coast guard in any way? I've done research on BAH and would that start before or after boot camp if we were to wed early?

Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    11 May 2017 06:48 PM
    It will not harm your career at all. If anything, it might make it better. You won't deal with the stress of being apart. As long as she is ready to handle the stress of being a military wife. Your BAH would be in effect the same day you ship if you're married. If you've already gone through processing wth a recruiter, let him know as soon as possible. Paperwork will need to be updated. You can marry now, start your life and career with your wife by your side and in a year or so stool have a big reception and party!!
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    m1ashooter

--
    11 May 2017 10:46 PM
    If a person gets married and the spouse has debt does this affect the debt to income ratio used to determine if a person can enlist? If so then a person might wait to get married.
    Strix

--
    12 May 2017 06:16 AM
    Thanks Old Guard! Im waiying to hear when i can go to MEPS. I Just submitted a medical release for a penicillin allergy i had as a child but am no longer reactive to thank goodness! So just waiting on MEPS to review the file. I'm going to wait until after I get through MEPS to swear in to get married I think just to be on the safe side. Is that waiting too long?

My fiance has no debt so that shouldn't affect anything. We live with her mother right now to save money until I get out of boot, but we need to move out soon because her mother doesn't like our dog, so the sooner she can move out the better.
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    13 May 2017 10:02 PM
    It's not waiting too long. Just be sure your recruiter knows. There will be paperwork she will need to sign. Don't catch your recruiter off guard. You aren't thinking with BAH she can move out and find something other than mom, are you?? She, both of you, don't want to sign a lease for someplace for 8 weeks.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Strix

--
    14 May 2017 06:25 AM
    Old guard; that was a thought but I live in a coastie town so there are places for short term that don't require a very long lease and there are also roommate situations. But you do bring up a valid point.. I think I will have her wait and save the money for the move.
    Strix

--
    14 May 2017 06:28 AM
    Is waiting until after I'm cleared through MEPS too long to let my recruiter know I'm getting married? I'm paranoid that they will DQ me for some reason once they know.. I've heard rumors married people have a harder time enlisting.
    Resserve Chief/Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    CPORJM

--
    14 May 2017 10:56 AM
    Why would they DQ you if you meet all enlistment prerequisites? If you're planning on getting married prior to boot camp you need to let your recruiter know earlier than later as there is some additional paperwork that's needed. As for rumors, don't waste your time with them.
    "When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."-Jonathan Swift
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    14 May 2017 01:40 PM
    Rumors are just that, rumors. Typically they are total rubbish, as is this one. I can see it being harder because of finances or dependents. But just being married will not make it any more easy or difficult.

Don't waste the time finding her somewhere to live for the short 8 weeks. Pay mom some rent. She will probably tolerate the dog a lot easier. What type of dog?
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Strix

--
    14 May 2017 02:36 PM
    We pay rent currently. Also she is a great Pyrenees. (Basically a polar bear... loooots of hair.)

Thanks for easing those worries for me! I go up to sign some papers tomorrow and will mention it to him.

I also have to admit another worry, and another reason I wanted to wait until I swear in... I'm gay, and I worry that prejudices might get in the way, something I've dealt with my whole life.
    Trusted Member
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    mkelly

--
    14 May 2017 03:12 PM
    Prejudices are everywhere. Just keep doing your thing. I've worked with more gay people in the Coast Guard than I ever did in my civilian jobs before the Coast Guard. I haven't seen anything negative towards anybody but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen. I tell you what though, sexual assault, or giving somebody a hard time because they are gay or fat or a certain color is just about the quickest way to get kicked out of the Coast Guard these days. There is a zero tolerance towards that type of behavior. That being said, you can't keep people from being ignorant or mean....you can just deal with them swiftly when it happens. Be a hard worker and a good shipmate. Thats what matters.
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    14 May 2017 03:51 PM
    We had a neighbor with a Great Pyrenees when we were stationed in Valdez. Poli was an amazing dog. Loved him to pieces, we would always babysit when our neighbors traveled.

You are always going to meet assholes, that is a fact of life if you are straight, gay, black, white, pink with purple polka dots and I'm really sorry that it's that way for anyone. But you won't be discriminated against. It should be just fine.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Strix

--
    16 May 2017 05:56 AM
    I appreciate all the reassurance! Thank You!

Bella is a good dog she's just really big haha. And hairy. So much hair hahaha

http://i64.tinypic.com/2aexpj4.jpg
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Auxnoob

--
    19 May 2017 07:39 AM
    Hi Strix, Google "The Day New London CT" and search for "Amanda Roy". She just graduated from the Coast Guard Academy, and the article talks about her sexual orientation. Also, there is a tradition at the Academy to announce engagements in the wardroom. A couple years ago the first gay couple announced theirs. It was a non-event for the right reasons.

That said, as has been said there are jerks out there. Mkelly's advice is the best.
    Strix

--
    19 May 2017 11:34 AM
    I read up on that as suggested, Aux, great article! I feel a bit better now actually haha.

You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement