Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Last minute question about bootcamp!! (may 23rd)
Last Post 20 May 2017 07:54 PM by jdhusker. 7 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Sebbybaj

--
16 May 2017 04:05 PM
    So I'm shipping out May 23rd and I have last minute questions about bootcamp and how it is from day to day. I have random questions so if anyone could answer a few of them that would be appreciated and help me out, or if you just have some advice or options on anything that be good to hear as well. 

What should I pack beside: 4pairs of white socks, 4pairs of black socks, 3vnecks, 12boxer Briefs, razor for shaving and extra blades, charger and phone. 
    Can I bring my own shampoo and body wash in a travel size container? Should I bring my own toothbrush/toothpaste, or soap as well?? And can I bring mosquito repellant?? Should I bring a notebook for notes and writing letters, should I get envelops and extra pens or anything? 

As for being day to day basis what's the routine you go through? Is it good to volunteer for certain jobs or better to just stay quite? Do you get to talk to other recruits at all times? What's the main thing CCs will ask you to know when it comes to required knowledge?
    I have a bunch of questions but really I just wanna hear how bootcamp is from getting of the bus to graduation. Also how do avoid ramp and trackers and just overall getting reverted?? 

Basic Member
    Basic Member
    jdhusker

--
    16 May 2017 10:04 PM
    You get issued shampoo, toothpaste, toothbrush, bar soap, bug repellent, and sun screen. You also get a notebook for writing notes in, exclusively notes and nothing else so bring paper for letters. Bring envelopes and stamps. You will be given plenty of pens.

Volunteering for jobs is up to you, just know you will mess up while learning the job and you will be punished for it but you can get on the CC's good side by doing a good job. I personally stayed quiet through boot camp and made it through just fine. Talking is pretty limited in boot camp, you will be told when you can or can't talk, but generally talking cannot be social or joking in nature.

I recommend learning general orders, ranks and rates, and really recommend learning all of the collar devices and shoulder boards and how to describe them.

Just know you will get trackers, you can get them for the smallest mistakes. To avoid them, do what you are told when you are told and learn all of the recruit rules and know your required knowledge. Ramp is for people with attitude or motivation issues, again do what you are told and without complaint to avoid it. Reversion happens if you don't progress in boot camp as fast as you should, it's not a punishment but learn quickly and you won't get reverted.
    Sebbybaj

--
    17 May 2017 12:03 PM
    Thank you appreciate that info, as for the required knowledge how often are the CCs questioning you while at bootcamp? Do you get more time to learn rates and ranks. I'm pretty good on the general orders but I'll hesitate about certain ones sometime. Do you get a final on all the required knowledge?
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    jdhusker

--
    17 May 2017 03:54 PM
    You can be questioned at any time, meal times are prime time for required knowledge, passing a CC while walking around base is fair game, just always be ready to answer questions. You will have a class on rates and ranks but learn them before boot camp! You get minimal free time besides divine hours on Sunday's. You need to know the general orders perfectly, they usually gave us 5 seconds to answer. You will have a final test on everything you had a class on. General orders are not on the test. It is like 3/4 open book and 1/4 closed book, but everything you learn in class is important for your career so pay attention. My best advice is memorize as much as you can before boot camp! Too many people didn't study before boot camp and either got reverted or put on probation.
    Sebbybaj

--
    17 May 2017 09:55 PM
    Thanks for the advice, appreciate that. Im pretty good with most of the knowledge I just hesitate to answer with certain questions. maybe just nerves but im sure ill be fine to get through it on time for 8 weeks.
    Sebbybaj

--
    20 May 2017 06:31 PM
    update 3 days. if anyone has any other advice about boot camp or just a thought to keep in my head that would help me keep my morale up ect
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    20 May 2017 07:20 PM
    It's the easiest 8 weeks of your career. Show up on time, be in the right uniform, do what your told, make your rack, and keep your eyes in the boat. Once you report to your first unit the real work begins.
    “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    jdhusker

--
    20 May 2017 07:54 PM
    Gears is correct, boot camp is definitely easy if you go in prepared with the right attitude. They will yell at you all the time, just make sure you can still think straight and respond correctly while being screamed at. Follow directions quickly and exactly as they say to do it. If you think you are moving fast move faster. They will let you know which uniform to where, learn to iron it and make it look good as soon as you can. Making your rack is easy once you learn how to do it. Keep your eyes in the boat! Do not let your eyes wander. Don't look the CC's in the eye, always stare straight ahead. An easy rule to follow is if something doesn't directly concern you don't look at it! Just remember once you finish boot camp you will actually kinda miss it and realize it was hilarious.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement