Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Medical Problem
Last Post 04 Dec 2008 03:16 AM by captkyguy. 3 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
AD08

--
03 Dec 2008 07:57 PM
    For about a year now I've been in the process of joining the Coast Guard. I just graduated from high school in May and was set to leave for basic in August. A week before it was time to go I had gone to the doctors about a joint pain I had been having and was diagnosed with Hypothyroidsm. I told my recruiter and he called me back a couple days later telling me that I should take my medication then go back to the doctor to see how my levels were, thus pushing back my leave date. Took my meds and my symptoms didnt really improve (some joint pain and being tired). My recruiter told me that because of my Hypothyroidsm I would be disqualified from joining. All I want to do is join the Coast Guard. I stopped taking my pills and I'm fine, my joint pain actualy got better. I guess what I'm asking is, is there anyway for me to still join? I'm healthy, active, smart...me having Hypothyroidsm hasnt and wont affect any of my abilities in basic. I can still do everything like I used to. I refuse to believe that because of this I am disqualified. If I had something like cancer or asthma then there would be grounds for disqualification. Please help me, I really want to join.

Thank You for any help
    Ang.
    Trusted Member / Administrator
    chukles

--
    03 Dec 2008 09:30 PM
    Let me preface this by stating that I do not know your full situation.

If I am correct;

You have been diagnosed with hypothyroidism. After seeing a doctor, it has been determined that medication is not helping the situation.

With that caveat. your hypothyroidism is uncontrolled, whether you feel better or not is irrelevant. Your diagnosis and medication not helping is the issue.

From the Medical manual

Thyroid Disorders.
    (1) Current goiter (240) is disqualifying.
    (2) Current hypothyroidism (244) uncontrolled by medication is
    disqualifying.
    (3) Current or history of hyperthyroidism (242.9) is disqualifying.
    (4) Current thyroiditis (245) is disqualifying.

From what I am reading regarding your post you are at a dead end. The fact that you feel basic would not be a problem is moot. The issue is at anytime during your career you could have a major issue and not be near medical help.

I wish you the best of luck in your future endeavors.

vr,

Chuck.

www.gocoastguard.com

I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords. I'd like to remind them that as a trusted Coastie, I can be helpful in rounding up others to toil in their underground sugar caves.
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    wepprop

--
    03 Dec 2008 09:55 PM
    My suggestion, which is very well-intended but not well-informed, is that you have a medical problem and not a Coast Guard problem, so you should seek help and advice from medical doctors. Are there other medications or treatments available, is your dosage correct, was the original diagnosis correct. If you haven't seen an endocrinologist yet, do that. Get a second opinion, talk to the leading expert in the field, whatever.

Based on what chukles posted, if your medical situation were to change for the better, then maybe your Coast Guard situation could do likewise.

As opposed to 1, 3, and 4 where it appears you would be completely out of luck.
    Trusted Member
    captkyguy

--
    04 Dec 2008 03:16 AM
    AD08, get that second opinion and confirm if the first diagnosis was correct and if so have them try some different meds to get you squared away, also a lot of praying never hurt anybody.

Everything happens for a reason, if it was meant to be it will happen if not I am sure you will find another path of equal importance to you.

God Bless

I want to finally set it free, So show me how to see what Your mercy sees, Help me now to give what You gave to me...Forgiveness, Forgiveness
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement