Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
From USMC to USCG
Last Post 16 Jun 2017 11:47 AM by AirDale13. 3 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
ChowIsContinuous

--
14 Jun 2017 12:31 AM
    Thank you for reading this Sailors(I'm sorry if that's not what y'all go by, I'm not too well versed) As my summary states i'm coming up on the end of my first enlistment with the USMC and want to continue my military service; however i don't think the USMC is the branch in which i could best serve my country. I was thinking about joining the USCG but was unsure about a few things. For brevity i'll just list my questions.

-I'm aviation supply(6672) and would like to stay related to this field of work, from what i've read the storekeeper seems the best fit. Would i have to retrain?

-I'm an E5, and by my EAS i would have 20 months time in grade. Would i lose rank coming in? If so how much?

-Can someone explain DEPOT a little better? the gocoastguard site doesn't offer a whole lot of info. (would i be say sir yes sir and being screamed at by drill instructors? for example)

-I see that the USCG only has about 50k troops in total, yet has a plethora of duty stations. How does that work? Is it one unit of about 200 per duty station or is it structured some other way?

Thank you in advance!

(PS I read through some other threads about Marines wanting to transfer to USCG and i'd like to apologize on their behalf, from what i saw it was very unprofessional)

ACWest

--
    14 Jun 2017 10:17 AM
    Good Day!

As I am old, retired, and obsolete, I am not able to give you any accurate, up to date information to your questions. However, I am able to thank you for your interest in the USCG, and encourage you to keep asking questions. I served with several Marines-turned-Coastie who thrived in the USCG.

I can offer you one bit of advice. Obviously, there are many differences between the way things are done in the Corps and the way things are done in the Coast Guard. If/when you feel the need to point out differences, I urge you to be tactful and diplomatic about it. "In the Corps, we did it THIS way" can tend to wear thin with your new shipmates.

Good Luck!
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    m1ashooter

--
    15 Jun 2017 01:30 AM
    You will probably revert back to E3. My son had a new shipmate who was once a USMC E6 at 26 years of age. He made the change because the quality of life was better for he and his family. You will find that the mission and duty locations are very diverse in the USCG. There are numerous boat stations along both coasts and in the great lakes, then there are Aids to Navigation Teams, River Tenders, Buoy Tenders, Aircraft and White Hull cutters that all need to be manned, plus sectors, inspection teams and other odds and ends.

This is a great site to learn about the USCG.
    https://www.uscg.mil/

If you like the mission of the USCG then make the change.
    Trusted Member
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    AirDale13

--
    16 Jun 2017 11:47 AM
    DEPOT is a shortened boot camp. You will be treated like a recruit. If you can't hack it for some reason in DEPOT you would be transitioned to full boot camp. Prior service personnel are allowed to go to DEPOT as an option for a shortened boot camp. DEPOT doesn't convene as often which will see some prior service opting for full boot camp. If enlistment is tied together with a guaranteed A School mandatory scheduling requirements may require attendance to a full boot camp. It's much easier for a recruiter to explain it to you because it can begin to sound confusing in a thread.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement