Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Cliche questions regarding ME, MSRT, and Non-Rates
Last Post 17 Sep 2017 08:15 PM by USCG1927. 2 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
JWRainey

--
16 Jul 2017 02:52 PM
    Before I ask these questions, let me start by saying I understand there have been plenty of these threads and questions asked, but I see quite a bit of conflicting information, and a lot of it seems to be slightly outdated, which is why I'm starting my own thread to ask my own questions.

Firstly, I'm 17, and have a bit of a ways to go before I can even enlist into the Coast Guard, mainly because I ended up dropping out of High School and getting my GED (with flying colors, however), so I'm working on getting my 15 college credits so I can be eligible. Before you judge, no I'm not dumb. I over doubled the required score to pass the GED exams, and I am very intelligent.

So for the time being, let's ignore the fact that I still have to get my credits and focus on the questions.

After basic I understand I'm not going to get right into ME, and I understand the wait time is quite a long time, averaging from what I see 18-24 months, trust me I am completely fine with the wait time because I do intend to make a career out of this, and something along these lines has always been my dream, read more below.

Since I was a tiny kid, I've always dreamed of being a cop, I still remember when I was probably 4 or 5 and I got a Sheriff "shield" and I actually still have it somewhere around my house. All my life the only things I can imagine doing as a career were either Law Enforcement, or Military. I have probably 5 generations of Military behind me, ranging from Air Force to Navy. I figured ME is a good mix of the Military and LE, and seems like the best fit for me, as I've never seen myself to do anything "technical" such as engineering or IT, even though I am very intelligent when it comes to technology.

Now that we have that cleared up, I'm perfectly fine with waiting for ME. However, I've read a lot about what people do as non-rates and I've seen some mixed results when it comes to this. I've seen some people say you do "grunt" work, such as cleaning constantly, mowing, painting, etc. but then I've seen other people saying they were lucky enough to become a BTM. So how lucky do you have to be to get onto a Boarding Team? I'm aware it depends on where you are, and if BTM's are required or not, so is there any way to increase my odds of getting onto a team? And on top of being a BTM, will I still be doing a lot of the cleaning, painting, etc.?

After I become an ME, my long term goal, like most, is to get onto an MSRT. Is there anyway I can increase my chances of doing this, and is it possible to get onto one right after A-school?

Just to reiterate a bit, I'm fine with waiting on ME, I just want to know what to expect while I'm a non-rate, and how I can increase my chances of becoming a BTM, and how I can increase my chances of getting onto an MSRT in the long run.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    stealthtt24

--
    17 Jul 2017 09:26 AM
    It's luck of the draw if you get a unit that allows you to get qualified btm. If you request a station or cutter in boot camp then your odds improve.

Yes you can get MSRT out of A school. To improve your chances you should be in great physical shape and show good judgement.
    USCG1927

--
    17 Sep 2017 08:15 PM
    Posted By stealthtt24 on 17 Jul 2017 10:26 AM
    It's luck of the draw if you get a unit that allows you to get qualified btm. If you request a station or cutter in boot camp then your odds improve.

Agreed; Request a small boat station for your best chances, or if you want a cutter, I would suggest requesting an 87' or 110' in an area that does a lot of LE (Florida/Texas/Southern California). As a non-rate, you will definitely be doing a lot of the annoying jobs like sanding, painting, and constantly cleaning. That being said, your options beyond that are completely determined by you.

I busted my butt on my 87' and my command knew I wanted to do LE, so they rewarded me by sending me to BTM school and I spent my last 4 months there doing boardings while the other non-rates stayed behind to clean/paint/etc.

Another option that you may want to consider is PATFORSWA. If you plan to go ME, I would suggest applying for PATFORSWA as soon as you get qualified at your first unit. It is a one-year deployment to Bahrain, but you will go directly to the next a-school class while departing, so you can knock a huge chunk of the wait off. In addition, you will get a chance to work with a lot of other ME's and your command at PATFORSWA can get you into a lot more LE training that will help you get ready for your ultimate move to ME.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask! Hope this helps.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement