Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Suggestions For What To Bring To Boot Camp? And What Items Are Allowed?
Last Post 21 Jul 2017 11:47 AM by CoastieDad13. 3 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
BillyCaldwell75

--
20 Jul 2017 03:24 PM
    My son leaves for Boot Camp next week, July 25, 2017, (Whiskey 194), and I'm trying to get some idea/suggestions about what items he should bring with him when he leaves. I would also like to be sure to find out in advance what items he is actually allowed to take with him to boot camp? From what I gather, there are very few items he is actually allowed to bring with him, so some information on this would be very much appreciated.

As for some things we've thought of, good socks and boxers/underwear have been at the top of the list, but we're not sure if there are restrictions on what types of socks and boxers are actually allowed. Are boxers even allowed? Or just briefs? Or boxer-briefs? Do they have to be a certain material? Are certain brands not allowed? And do the socks and boxers have to have no logos or wording on them?

Are there any other items that he should, and is allowed to, take with him to boot camp?

Undershirts? A jacket, windbreaker, hoodie? Shoes? Sandals/slides to wear around on casual time? Notepad and pens/pencils? Envelopes?

Sorry for the lengthy message. If anyone would be willing to reply and offer me some helpful information, please know that it would be genuinely appreciated. And thanks in advance for any and all helpful replies!
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    m1ashooter

--
    20 Jul 2017 03:50 PM
    Does he have a copy of the Helmsmen? If so it will outline whats ok to bring with you. I believe my son bought white compression shorts. Since you son is going to be there in August and Sept he will probably not even need a hoodie as it will be warm in NJ at the time. He just needs what he is going to wear to the airport. On base and off base liberty will be in uniform. If you want to get mail from him I recommend you include stamped filled out envelopes. Cell phone, cord and charger so you can see his smiley face when on Liberty.  I'm not really sure my son used soap in the eight weeks he was there. Send them with with exactly what the Helmsmen recommmends.
    BillyCaldwell75

--
    20 Jul 2017 05:10 PM
    Posted By m1ashooter on 20 Jul 2017 03:50 PM
    Does he have a copy of the Helmsmen? If so it will outline whats ok to bring with you. I believe my son bought white compression shorts. Since you son is going to be there in August and Sept he will probably not even need a hoodie as it will be warm in NJ at the time. He just needs what he is going to wear to the airport. On base and off base liberty will be in uniform. If you want to get mail from him I recommend you include stamped filled out envelopes. Cell phone, cord and charger so you can see his smiley face when on Liberty.  I'm not really sure my son used soap in the eight weeks he was there. Send them with with exactly what the Helmsmen recommmends.
    Hey, thank you very much for the reply! Yes, my son does have a Helmsmen, so I will try to find that information and find out what it recommends.

As for your mentioning that he should take his cell phone and a charger, are you saying that there will be a point at boot camp where he will actually be able to use his cell phone sometimes? If so, could you share a little more about that with me?

From what I've seen posted in here, while at boot camp, people are allowed a phone call in week 5, and then again in weeks 6 and 7. Is this accurate? And if so, do they get a slot of time to make phone calls with their personal cell phones at some point during the 5th week? Like, 1-2 hours to use their phones, on a certain day in week 5? Or do they just get to use a landline, once time, for like 15 minutes, during week 5?

I did not realize that they would be allowed to take their cell phones, and possibly use them at any point during boot camp, so this is news to me. If my son will have an opportunity to use his cell phone to call several members of our family at some point during boot camp, that will be awesome! And I will definitely plan on sending his phone, a charging cable, and a large portable battery charger (if allowed) with him when he leaves for boot camp.

I also wanted to ask if anyone has an idea of about how many families actually attend the graduation ceremony when boot camp ends? Is it close to all families? Most families? About half? 25%?

The reason I ask is because my son's mother and I would really like to be there for the graduation ceremony, but it would be a pretty major financial hardship for us. We live out in Arizona, so plane tickets for two people, even two months out, would likely be like $800-$900 alone. Plus, we would need to rent a car and get a hotel, and that would easily over $1,000 total. Plus, we would both likely have to multiple miss days of work, making it even more costly. I hate that money is a potential concern (I always hate that!), but that's the reality right now. I asked my son about this recently, and he specifically told me that he was not concerned about us being there; even saying that he would specifically prefer that we not try to go to graduation, because of the cost. However, we would definitely like to try to be there when he graduates from boot camp, if realistically possible. So, if someone has any thoughts on this matter, I would definitely be interested in hearing some thoughts from other people/family members on here.

One more thing. I wanted to ask if anyone knows what the likelihood of getting your 1st choice of where you get stationed after boot camp is? For example, if my son wanted to try to go to a USCG location in the Tampa, Florida, area, would it be likely that he would be approved for that? Or is it generally not that likely that you will get to go where you would like to go after graduating from boot camp? And when should he have a idea of whether or not he will be approved to go to his preferred location?

As usual, I apologize for writing such a long message. And thanks in advance to anyone who replies!
    CoastieDad13

--
    21 Jul 2017 11:47 AM
    @Billy - the cell phones will only be used during their liberty. They get an on base and off base (assuming they haven't really pissed of the CC's). At that time they will be able to use their personal phones. The travel thing is hard... we will be flying from Denver to Philly and can get a flight pretty cheap... check Southwest and Frontier Airlines. Cant help with the car and hotel... I will be using points I accumulate for business to make it cheaper on us. As far as first duty station out of BC I think it depends on the needs of the CG... hence the multiple choices. When I went in the Army they basically sent us all to West Germany since we were tankers and they needed a lot there. Anyway I understand the long messages and hope my short reply has helped.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement