Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Deployment/Activation
Last Post 08 May 2018 05:13 PM by TombRaider330. 9 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
J@yPeez

--
14 Aug 2017 03:05 PM
    I am considering applying to the Reserves as a BM, not in a Port Security Unit, and am wondering about being deployed or activated. What is the likelihood of being deployed or activated without volunteering to do so? Does the current political climate increase the possibility of reservist being deployed or activated? Any insight or historical perspective is greatly appreciated.
    Resserve Chief/Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    CPORJM

--
    18 Aug 2017 09:16 PM
    If you're worried about being involuntarily ordered to active duty, perhaps the Reserves are not for you. The CGR exists to augment the active duty side when domestic or international events dictate. To simply show up two days a month and two weeks a year doesn't really do any good. The political climate is not the only factor that dictates whether or not a Reservist will be ordered to active duty. I don't know how old you are, but if you remember back to 2010, the British Petroleum oil rig Deepwater Horizon exploded in the Gulf of Mexico in April of that year. CG Reservists from all over the US were recalled to active duty to support that operation. There's really no way of knowing.
    "When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."-Jonathan Swift
    J@yPeez

--
    23 Aug 2017 09:51 AM
    Thank you for the reply. I appreciate your honesty and the truth is that I’ve been thinking the same thing. I do remember the oil spill. I’m struggling because I do want to serve and would sign up in a heartbeat if I didn’t have my daughter. I’m having a hard time with the thought of being away from my family for such long stretches of time. Even the time that I’d be gone for A school seems like too much. I know that people do it, but I’m not sure how. I’ve read some of your other posts and can tell you want the best for the people in and the best for the Coast Guard. Thanks for your service and thanks again for your reply.
    F0restPerson

--
    01 Mar 2018 04:25 PM
    CPORJM, how frequently in your career have you been activated?
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    CPORJM

--
    02 Mar 2018 09:13 AM
    Posted By F0restPerson on 01 Mar 2018 05:25 PM
    CPORJM, how frequently in your career have you been activated?

Not counting the annual two week active duty period that every Reservist is required to complete, I've been activated a total of five times in 16 years:

2003- 6 months
    2005- 90 days
    2006- 1 year
    2010- 60 days
    2015- 30 days
    "When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."-Jonathan Swift
    F0restPerson

--
    05 Mar 2018 11:15 PM
    CPORJM, thanks for the reply. Could you specify what these activations were for? Where you went? What you did? Were these voluntary or involuntary activations? 
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    CPORJM

--
    07 Mar 2018 08:25 PM
    Posted By F0restPerson on 06 Mar 2018 12:15 AM
    CPORJM, thanks for the reply. Could you specify what these activations were for? Where you went? What you did? Were these voluntary or involuntary activations? 
    2003-Involuntary, port security in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom, Northern Arabian Gulf (Kuwait/Iraq)

2005-Voluntary for Operation Summerstock. This is a summer time operation to provide additional manpower to the CG stations on the Great Lakes which see an exponential increase in recreational boating traffic during that time of the year.  I was assigned to Station Calumet Harbor, Chicago, IL.

2006-Involuntary. Assigned to address a manpower shortage at Coast Guard Investigative Service Detachment Los Angeles/Long Beach. 

2010-Involuntary.  Protection details for CG and other dignataries in New Orleans in the wake of the Deepwater Horizon disaster.

2015-Voluntary. Assigned to address a manpower shortage at Coast Guard Investigative Service Pacific Region Office, Alameda, CA

TombRaider330

--
    07 May 2018 08:10 PM
    Hi CPORJM I have been assigned at a PSU as well, shipping date 7/22/18 with A-School 9/10/18 if all goes well. I don't mind being deployed but in your experience what is the ratio of females on avg at a PSU? Any advice for new coasties entering the PSU, especially females? How soon would a reservist be activated after completing A-school?
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    CPORJM

--
    08 May 2018 09:19 AM
    Posted By TombRaider330 on 07 May 2018 09:10 PM
    Hi CPORJM I have been assigned at a PSU as well, shipping date 7/22/18 with A-School 9/10/18 if all goes well. I don't mind being deployed but in your experience what is the ratio of females on avg at a PSU? Any advice for new coasties entering the PSU, especially females? How soon would a reservist be activated after completing A-school?

I can't really answer your first two questions regarding the PSU, as I've been out of that community for nearly 15 years. As for activation, that's not a sure thing. It may never happen, as it's guided by international and domestic events. Understand, when we talk about activation, we're not talking about your annual 2 week active duty period. Activation is referring to those periods when you're on active duty for several months, in other words, the CG becomes your full time job for that time period.
    TombRaider330

--
    08 May 2018 05:13 PM
    Thanks CPORJM. Understood. Either way, I am excited to become part of USCG for many years to come
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement