Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Helicopter pilot family life
Last Post 22 Aug 2017 02:13 PM by Aviator117. 2 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Aviator117

--
22 Aug 2017 10:54 AM
    Hello, I am new to this forum and forgive me if this question has been answered somewhere else in other forums. I have always wanted to become a pilot ever since I was little, and now that I am a junior in college, I am starting to come up with some options as to which route I would like to take. I am hoping other USCG pilots in here could help answer some questions I have. I have thought pretty hard about going down the civilian pathway to becoming a pilot, but I also have been looking into the coast guard and it's really peaking my interests. The only part I have concerns with is what is family life like for a search and rescue helo pilot? I am worried that if I get married and my wife establishes a job somewhere, that we will have to relocate due to the commitment of being in the guard, thus making it difficult for her to have a career. I know it's something I shouldn't be too worried about but my girlfriend and I have been together for 4 years now and we love eachother very much. I know a lot can happen in a few years but I just figure I should ask around and get as much info as I can. I have read up on the pathway to becoming a pilot in the coast guard and I know it's very competitive, and that there might be a chance I don't get selected. But I just want to get as much information as I can before o start making my final decision. Thank for the help!
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    22 Aug 2017 11:05 AM
    I'll let our resident pilot, SARDADDY, answer questions as far as the path to pilot. He is very knowledgeable about that.

As for family life, it can be just as difficult in any role for a CG family, pilot, ship commander, nonrate. I can tell you my daughter in law is a pharmacist. That's an expensive degree to just hang on a wall and not use. So far she has been licensed in Connecticut, Washington and now New York. I'm sure when transfer season comes around again for them, she'll be licensed in a fourth state. I won't say it is easy, that licensing exam is tough. But it isn't difficult either. Luckily she has worked for CVS and RiteAid. CVS had no locations in Washington, so she went to RiteAid. She was able to stay with them, get licensed in NY and she just "transferred" just like my son. The right profession, while possibly sticky if there is licensing involved, can easily be moved. Now, if your girl is something VERY specific, nuclear engineer, you could end up somewhere, like Kodiak, where there is truly no need for that. But teacher, pharmacist, hair stylist, nurse, secretary with excellent references, things of that nature you can find anywhere and everywhere.

You're right that you shouldn't be too worried about it. But it is also a valid concern. She could very well become your wife and then you face this together. Better to ask questions and have frank discussions and know each others feelings about it. Best of luck. Any other questions, we have a lot of people here ready to help.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Aviator117

--
    22 Aug 2017 02:13 PM
    Thank you for the response! I never really thought of it that way. But I think you're right, I'm just going to have to have a discussion with her about what could possibly happen
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement