Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Wake Up Worries
Last Post 28 Aug 2017 03:54 PM by Old Guard2. 13 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
Topic is locked
Author Messages
CTCG

--
26 Aug 2017 07:25 PM
    Hi

I was talking to a young man who is leaving for boot camp in a few months. He is worried his watch alarm will be insufficient to wake him for watches at night. Back in the old days you could put your name and time in a book for the barracks fire watch to give you a shake to wake up. Is this still the case in boot camp?

Thanks in advance.  
    Trusted Member
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    mkelly

--
    27 Aug 2017 07:35 AM
    The person that is ending his watch, usually makes sure the next person is up for the next watch.
    Either way the young man better figure out a way to wake up when he graduates boot camp. Somebody isn't always going to be there to wake him up for his watch or for work every morning.
    CTCG

--
    27 Aug 2017 09:08 AM
    Hi

Thanks for the reply.  The young man in question has a responsible 50+ hour a week job and seems to navigate life well. Our conversation was the result of him wanting to be prepared. 

I ask so I can give reliable information as my boot camp experience is 40 years ago and based in San Diego. There we stood watches outside of the barracks so it would be impossible to wake your relief.  

I'll glean from your response that the barracks fire watch does not wake on-coming watchstanders.  

Thanks for the reply. 

Basic Member
    Basic Member
    jdhusker

--
    27 Aug 2017 02:55 PM
    There is a wake up list for watchstanders. He will get woken up 30 minutes before watch by the off going watchstanders. If he doesn't get woke up the watchstanders are the ones who get in trouble. If they wake him up and he falls back asleep he will get in big trouble. Having a wrist watch that makes noise, even alarms is not recommended. He will be woke up by someone for whatever he needs to be up for.
    CTCG

--
    27 Aug 2017 04:09 PM
    Posted By jdhusker on 27 Aug 2017 02:55 PM
    There is a wake up list for watchstanders. He will get woken up 30 minutes before watch by the off going watchstanders. If he doesn't get woke up the watchstanders are the ones who get in trouble. If they wake him up and he falls back asleep he will get in big trouble. Having a wrist watch that makes noise, even alarms is not recommended. He will be woke up by someone for whatever he needs to be up for.

Whilst I know the young man is overthinking boot camp, both you and I know what it's like wondering about all of the unknowns. 

Thanks for the good info and I will pass your knowledge on. 

Trusted Member
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    mkelly

--
    28 Aug 2017 08:26 AM
    The learning and growing process in boot camp comes in part by not knowing all of the little intangibles like who will wake you up in week 5 or 6. I think its okay to tell people they are overthinking and they will be told what they need, when they need it. If some of the people going into boot camp realize that this isn't some new system they are trying out, and the entire process is already worked out, they will better be able to trust the system and focus on the task in front of them instead of being distracted by the future.
    I think maybe sometimes we hurt or stunt the growth by sharing too much information about situations in boot camp or "A" school.
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    28 Aug 2017 08:36 AM
    This is why MKelly is a Trusted Member on this forum. Not EVERY question must have an answer. How the hell did people get through boot camp before the internet and not know what was going to happen or not see pictures or not have videos of off base runs or not know when letters, postcards or phone calls might come. We are a wealth of information here but at the same time, there is a point when the answer should be "he'll find out when he gets there..."

I remember when my fiancé was in boot. That was 1985, I had no idea what was going to happen and no one to ask. I was out the night the 5th week phone call came. Can you image how upset I was? I threw my purse, I yelled at my dad, I had no idea he was going to call. Luckily he called back the next night. But we don't know the future, some of these boots need not know the future either.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    CTCG

--
    28 Aug 2017 10:45 AM
    Posted By mkelly on 28 Aug 2017 08:26 AM
    The learning and growing process in boot camp comes in part by not knowing all of the little intangibles like who will wake you up in week 5 or 6. I think its okay to tell people they are overthinking and they will be told what they need, when they need it. If some of the people going into boot camp realize that this isn't some new system they are trying out, and the entire process is already worked out, they will better be able to trust the system and focus on the task in front of them instead of being distracted by the future.
    I think maybe sometimes we hurt or stunt the growth by sharing too much information about situations in boot camp or "A" school.

Thanks for the reply.  Perhaps you are correct. 

But in fairness I'm sure when you were green you asked the same type of questions. Maybe even on this forum. .  Did those answers to your "boot" questions stunt your growth?  I'd wager you were appreciative. 

Have the best day. 

CTCG

--
    28 Aug 2017 11:54 AM
    Posted By Old Guard2 on 28 Aug 2017 08:36 AM
    This is why MKelly is a Trusted Member on this forum. Not EVERY question must have an answer. How the hell did people get through boot camp before the internet and not know what was going to happen or not see pictures or not have videos of off base runs or not know when letters, postcards or phone calls might come. We are a wealth of information here but at the same time, there is a point when the answer should be "he'll find out when he gets there..."

I remember when my fiancé was in boot. That was 1985, I had no idea what was going to happen and no one to ask. I was out the night the 5th week phone call came. Can you image how upset I was? I threw my purse, I yelled at my dad, I had no idea he was going to call. Luckily he called back the next night. But we don't know the future, some of these boots need not know the future either.

Thanks for the public dress down.  In fairness this section of the forum asks for boot camp related questions. To wit, "Ask them here!"   

Perhaps you are correct but I grasp to understand your scolding.  

Have the best day. 

Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    28 Aug 2017 11:59 AM
    I was not scolding, I was backing up what a trusted member said. Yes, ask questions, better yet, have the young man ASK FOR HIMSELF (in case that is misinterpreted, that's a scolding). But some questions just don't need an all consuming answer. If you know what is going to happen every minute of every day in boot camp, what will actually be learned? The answer of a watch is helpful but one with alarms, should be sufficient. They obviously don't expect recruits, or any person, to just manually wake up at a certain time. So common sense would say if I can't have an alarm clock or a watch with an alarm, I'll bet they arrange that someone gets me up or gives me a head's up or something.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    CTCG

--
    28 Aug 2017 12:43 PM
    Posted By Old Guard2 on 28 Aug 2017 11:59 AM
    I was not scolding, I was backing up what a trusted member said. Yes, ask questions, better yet, have the young man ASK FOR HIMSELF (in case that is misinterpreted, that's a scolding). But some questions just don't need an all consuming answer. If you know what is going to happen every minute of every day in boot camp, what will actually be learned? The answer of a watch is helpful but one with alarms, should be sufficient. They obviously don't expect recruits, or any person, to just manually wake up at a certain time. So common sense would say if I can't have an alarm clock or a watch with an alarm, I'll bet they arrange that someone gets me up or gives me a head's up or something.

I was simply trying to get some info to pass onto green, potential recruits. It's not like I'm driving them in my car to the recruiter's office. They drove themselves there on their own.  

Thanks for the input. 
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    28 Aug 2017 02:24 PM
    If he has questions, give him the website and let him ask. It is really that simple. I don't know if you're a helicopter parent, grandparent, coworker, neighbor, whatever. But he can find this just as easily as other recruits have found it. He can ask whatever questions he like.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    CTCG

--
    28 Aug 2017 02:39 PM
    Posted By Old Guard2 on 28 Aug 2017 02:24 PM
    If he has questions, give him the website and let him ask. It is really that simple. I don't know if you're a helicopter parent, grandparent, coworker, neighbor, whatever. But he can find this just as easily as other recruits have found it. He can ask whatever questions he like.

I guess I have been declared persona non grata. 

Thanks to everyone for your help in the past.  
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    28 Aug 2017 03:54 PM
    You are not. If YOU have questions, feel free. If someone else has questions, point him this way.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Topic is locked

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement