Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Questions for OS and HS reservists.
Last Post 01 Sep 2017 02:31 PM by cwebber. 4 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Cram

--
31 Aug 2017 11:35 AM
    Hello and thank you in advance for fielding my questions. I am a 31 year old with a B.A. in Biology who has a career in a health field that is interested in joining reserve to serve my Country. I believe I qualify for the DEEP program due to my Bachelors degree and my age. Would the DEEP program join with the DEPOT program at basic but graduate at E3 and E4 respectively? 

I am very interested in the OS and HS ratings. I know it is completed dependent on what is required in my area (southern CA) and that the wait list for HS is very long but I was hoping to talk to a reservist in the OS and HS to educate myself about the positions from first hand experience. If one could send me a PM in order to talk I would appreciate it. 

Thank you again.
    cwebber

--
    31 Aug 2017 01:51 PM
    I am not an OS or HS, but I am a BM in the reserve. I can't speak to the rate specific stuff but you would go through DEPOT. Whether or not you graduate E3 or E4 depends on what your recruiter puts on your contract.
    Cram

--
    31 Aug 2017 02:47 PM
    Thank you Cwebber for your response! Would you happen to know what a reservist does if there is a gap between basic and A school training? As in what what we do for our drills and such? Would we do work with the active and reservist non rates? Thanks.
    Resserve Chief/Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    CPORJM

--
    31 Aug 2017 05:47 PM
    Posted By Cram on 31 Aug 2017 03:47 PM
    Thank you Cwebber for your response! Would you happen to know what a reservist does if there is a gap between basic and A school training? As in what what we do for our drills and such? Would we do work with the active and reservist non rates? Thanks.

Greetings.... You'll graduate as an E4 only if you get an A School waiver. That's dependant on you having a skill set that very closely matches a CG job.  This is often seen in the ME rating for those Reservists that are police officers in their civilian life, or in the HS rating for those that are paramedics or EMT's.

As for your time between DEPOT and A School, you'll do non rate work, but there's also a good chance that you'll be allowed to work in a limited capacity with those in the rating you'll be going into.
    "When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."-Jonathan Swift
    cwebber

--
    01 Sep 2017 02:31 PM
    I had a three month break after Cape May before A school started. During those 3 drills, I went on some AOR runs, studied my AOR (there is a test), did online mandated training, cleaned some boats, and participated in a CPR class. It's a good time to get acquainted with your new unit, meet everyone, and make a good first impression. At my unit, I was the only reserve non-rate. I worked with the reserve and active guys, non-rates and rated. Try to make friends with the active side asap. If you can get on their good side then they will be more willing to help you get your quals. Help out as much as you can with anything and don't act like your better than the non-rates when you get back from A school with your crows!
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement