Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Bootcamp Records
Last Post 04 Oct 2017 07:59 AM by Old Guard2. 11 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
Topic is locked
Author Messages Resolved
Faustus

--
02 Oct 2017 04:14 PM
    Red tape on your Training record during the discharge process in bootcamp
    as the first sentence says I was with around 15ish people while I was being discharged but noticed mine had red tape on it, it was for physical fitness failure followed by a RE3 uncharacterized.
    I knew other physical fitness failures and quitters, along with those who had been reverted too much and medical and mental health discharges and yet I was the only one.
    What does this red tape on your training record mean? I have tried to look everywhere else But I can't seem to even mention the existence of it.
    Ryucrat

--
    02 Oct 2017 08:59 PM
    How long were you in bootcamp exactly? Did you ever have a red belt? If so, were you reverted? Not entirely sure what it could mean from my point of view, a little more information required, I'd think.
    "The Road goes ever on and on, down from the door where it began. Now far ahead the Road has gone, and I must follow if I can.
    Faustus

--
    02 Oct 2017 09:25 PM
    9 weeks in total and no red belt was only rephased due to physical fitness, but I could tell my first company LCC wanted me to go on red belt but since I failed the physical fitness test in the 4th week I guess she figured let's wait and see if he fails next week so we won't have to do it. I was almost as bad as pvt. pyle from FMJ if that helps, though another guy getting discharged with me literally didn't care to even train and treated everything like a joke. And even the training Officer had a talk him about his attitude and was there for 14 weeks, So if the red tape meant something egregious I don't know why he wouldn't have it too
    Trusted Member
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    mkelly

--
    03 Oct 2017 03:29 PM
    In my mind, it comes down to one thing. You knew what the PT standards are and chose not to prepare yourself properly. Were you honest with your recruiter? You mentioned another recruit having a problem with his attitude but readily admit that you were almost as bad as Private Pyle. It sounds to me like you didn't care enough to prepare yourself. You were given a test and the answers and disrespected the process by not showing up prepared. Your company commander didn't want you to fail. They want recruits to succeed and put in a lot of hours to help facilitate that. Red tape, blue tape, green tape, or no tape.... it doesn't matter. You chose to disregard the regulations and the Coast Guard spent a lot of money for you to show up unprepared. Sorry if that sounds harsh but it bums me out that you may have went instead of somebody who was qualified.
    I know that you can't really tell tone tone when reading I hope that you don't read this in a rude or angry voice. I think the best advice I can give is don't worry about tape and worry about how you can prepare yourself for the next chapter in your life....whether it be Coast Guard again or something else.
    Faustus

--
    03 Oct 2017 03:41 PM
    the difference between pyle and the other recruit was that pyle was not trying to screw up to get a laugh out of it, No I saw my other CC say to another recruit in my first company asking him he wonders how he will do on his physical fitness test because he was also a screw up, 1 or 2 days after he passed he went on red belt even though I had a lot more records of counseling on me. then when I was getting reverted my LCC told me she never put me on red belt because I wasn't worth it and that she knew I would fail and that she expects to see me get discharged over this, maybe you got CCs that wanted you to pass.
    My brother was in the airfroce, and two others I knew were in the Army and Navy and they all said you don't need to meet the physical standards as they will not let you go for those reasons.
    Doesn't matter If I did pass the PF test I would have been reverted to discharge anyways, Just wish my recruiter was honest with me and told me that reversions are a thing and that you will be let go if you can't pass the pf test or if you get reverted too much and how easy it is to get reverted.
    but that's not what the post was about, since It's like the red tape on a training record doesn't exist anywhere online I just want to know what it means
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    03 Oct 2017 04:40 PM
    Faustus, what they do in the Army and Navy is of zero consequence on how the Coast Guard does things. You found this forum after you were discharged. Had you found it beforehand you would have seen that the PFT is nothing to be screwed around with. You show up prepared to exceed it. Not show up with a pfft, I'll get there attitude. Your LCC saw something, she saw a washout. Isn't that a shame you couldn't prove differently. CC's are not there to fail people, regardless of your perception. They are there to push and help people succeed. My son was reverted twice. He learned from each reversion. He is now in the CG a little over 8 years and is a 2nd Class Petty Officer. Being reverted doesn't mean you are a failure, it means you need a little more training, a little more guidance. If you didn't understand that was a thing, who is to blame here? I don't believe the answer is the recruiter, the CC's or the CG. I think you need to look at the reflection looking back at you. Successes are built on what you do, failures are built on what you do. No one else.

I've known MKelly on these forums a long time. I know his answer was not said in anger or rudely. I'm a little angry. You are comparing apples to elephants and looking to blame everyone and anyone. I don't know what the red tape means... maybe they ran out of scotch tape. It doesn't matter. You made your rack and apparently not well.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Faustus

--
    03 Oct 2017 06:29 PM
    again the tone was not angry at the previous poster.
    So when the recruiter does not tell me I will get discharged if I fail the physical fitness test or that the Coast guard does things differently than any other branch or that reversion is a thing and you will be reverted for it it's my fault even with an injured shoulder I got during training?
    If the coast guard doesn't need as much people as any other branch they should tell you when you are trying to enlist so you won't waste your and their time. Not to mention the previous poster unfortunately derailed the conversation with unnecessary input about something I did not ask for. Maybe when your son was in CCs were different and wanted you to pass. From what I saw Red belt was a way to revert you because they did not like you as Ex army,navy, and marines have told me when I was there.
    since nobody knows what red tape means I guess it was just nothing or something unimportant.
    Ryucrat

--
    03 Oct 2017 06:57 PM
    I don't know about 'wanting you to pass' back then. Now a days they push and push and give you a five minute break every 30 minutes to an hour right? Back when.. Hehehe, no breaks! They'd push and push until you broke. If you broke, you were doomed. With politics the way they are today, if they worked on the same system they did even 5 years ago, you probably wouldn't have even gotten to week 8. Not trying to sound mean, just being honest. This is all on you. You can't complain that your CC's were stopping you from graduating when you had 8 weeks to ask for a transfer. Nor is it your recruiters' fault for you enlisting in the first place. If you commit to doing something, me personally, I would give it my ALL. 110% to the finish line and beyond.

And with the red tape, perhaps it could be a red belt but they just didn't have an extra one???
    "The Road goes ever on and on, down from the door where it began. Now far ahead the Road has gone, and I must follow if I can.
    Faustus

--
    03 Oct 2017 08:28 PM
    I did say I wasn't gonna make it due to being a terrible recruit,
    All I would like to see is a recruiter telling you that the Coast Guard bootcamp is very different and that you can be discharged for failing a physical fitness test or being reverted even if they knew you had an injured shoulder during bootcamp. It's weird to think I should have trusted what random people on a forum claiming to be in the USCG said rather than a USCG recruiter
    Yeah it's my fault for not being able to meet the standard but who didn't give me a PF test or even tell me just how serious it was before I didn't get into bootcamp? If my recruiter did that and when I failed he could have said see me back in 3 months. It was harder back then but as long as you didn't quit, do something illegal or get broken you would have passed
    and no at most you got a 10 minute break after every chow to go to the bathroom, every other time it was 5 minutes
    also what do you mean had 8 weeks to ask for a transfer? I have never heard of this, do you mean in bootcamp or before to enlist in a different branch?

Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    m1ashooter

--
    03 Oct 2017 08:51 PM
    I'm a USAF, you must pass the PT test in the USAF in order to graduate basic. They do not just pass you on. The USAF might be soft but we do have some kind of standards. You can also be discharged for failing Tech School in the USAF.

What did you think boot camp was all about?
    Ryucrat

--
    03 Oct 2017 09:14 PM
    Going to bootcamp KNOWING you have to jump over obstacles is the same as getting hired for a job you KNOW you have to do. You can't go in and and not do the work. They'll fire you faster than the Coast Guard will. They gave you more of an opportunity than any civilian company ever will.
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    04 Oct 2017 07:59 AM
    I'll say one last thing and then I'm locking this thread. You are blaming the wrong people. There is one person to blame for not understanding what will happen. YOU. You figured out how the Navy & the Army do things but failed to find out how the branch you were joining did things. Sorry but YOU failed YOU, no one else. Your problem, suck it up buttercup.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Topic is locked

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement