Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Becoming Officer after Enlistment
Last Post 16 Apr 2018 05:37 AM by phxcoastie. 7 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Wedder

--
11 Oct 2017 02:22 PM
    Hello,

I am 25 years old and I have a Bachelors degree. I am in the process of joining the USCG as an enlisted member and not as an officer. I do intend on trying to become an officer, but only after 1 year as an enlistee. I have a few questions I would like answered.

1) Is it true or is it a misconception that I have a stronger appeal for becoming an officer after I have served for 1 year as an enlistee? I ask this question due to the following reasoning. Although I will have 1 year military experience, I will also already be locked into a contract as an enlistee. Is it possible that the military would be more interested in choosing someone unenlisted to become an officer, thus acquiring a new contract, then they would be in promoting an already enlisted serviceman? I know it seems antithetical, but my reasoning raises concern.

2) If I do decide to become an officer after 1 year of service, do I need to resign a new contract? That is, if I am on a 4 year contract, and I decide to become an officer after 1 year of service, will I need to resign a new 4 year contract?

Your answers are very much appreciated.

Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    m1ashooter

--
    11 Oct 2017 05:38 PM
    I can answer #2. You will be discharged from the enlisted ranks when you receive your commission. I'm not sure of the current officers commitment but yes you will start over.

Hmiller3

--
    12 Oct 2017 06:36 AM
    1) The CG loves promoting within its own ranks. Do not worry about applying as an enlisted member. I would start working on your package as soon as you get out of boot camp if that's the route you want to take. It often times takes more than 1 application cycle for a member to get selected for OCS, so just keep applying and working hard and let the chips fall where they may. From what you provided above you will be applying for the OCS-R program. 2) The above answer is correct, you will be discharged from your enlisted status and sign a 3 year contract as a officer. https://www.gocoastguard.com/active-duty-careers/officer-opportunities/programs/officer-candidate-school-ocs Link for reference
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Auxnoob

--
    12 Oct 2017 06:37 AM
    OCS has a commitment of three years after commissioning.
    Wedder

--
    23 Oct 2017 05:43 PM
    I am slow about returning to this, but would like to thank you all for answering my questions!
    Phoe214@gmail.com

--
    17 Nov 2017 09:59 AM
    Hey,

I am also an applicant for OCS. I went through the officer process for first time. I do admit it is a long process just sending in my personal narrative , resume, and letters of rec, going through MEPS for the asvab and medical screening, and an officer panel interview before submitting my package. I also enlisted at the same time since they also use my asvab scores and med records. Even though I didnt make it into the competitive officer corps, im still happy to become an enlisted instead. My recruiter encourages me to try again for an upcoming interview, which im preparing for. My word of advice is to apply for both because you have nothing to lose and the worst thing they will ever say is "no".

Good Luck~
    Trusted Member
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    JBraz

--
    20 Mar 2018 04:42 AM
    Many enlisted members have bachelors degrees. Many with degrees aren't cut out for the O side. Everyone thinks the O side is this amazing thing, keep in mind we are the ones normally sitting behind desks pushing paper, dealing with funds.

My point is so the E thing, enjoy the fun stuff. Then when you're old a s salty like me make CWO, then consider CWO-LT. I'll pick it up in about a month. I'll get to say I've done it all in the end.
    ~My destiny is to help others fulfill their destiny~
    phxcoastie

--
    16 Apr 2018 05:37 AM
    I was enlisted for 13 years prior to attending OCS and commissioning. There are a few obligations as an officer. As stated in previous replies, you incur a three year service obligation. If you are a prior enlisted member who commissions and are looking to retire, then you are obligated to serve 10 years of your career as an officer in order to retire as an officer (if you hit 20 yrs prior, you'll still get your high three, just not all the benefits and recognition). So, since I served 13 years enlisted, I won't be able to submit my retirement letter until I have been in for 23 years. The main reason for this, is that it takes 10 years from the time of commissioning to make LCDR (0-4). This is the point in one's career where they become tenured (guaranteed to hit 20 years if you are off the street and never enlisted). If you are up for your LCDR promotion and you get passed over twice, then you will be separated from service as an LT. So, if you are enlisted for 7 years, commission, yet don't make LCDR, then you could find yourself in a pickle and have to separate with 17 years in. Clear as mud lol?
    Speaking with some bias, I think enlisting first is always a benefit. I'm not saying it will make you a better officer, but it will give you a better understanding of what it takes to succeed as an officer, as well as a greater appreciation for the position. Once you're enlisted in the CG, always keep striving to better your career. What I mean, is that don't slow down your trajectory because you are 'waiting' to commission. Apply for 'A' school. Once rated, take the service wide, gain experience, and advance. These are the traits that selection boards look for in a person. I have known folks who don't want to advance because they are putting their eggs in one basket. Always work to better yourself and you'll do great!

TL
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement