Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Has Auxiliarists been told by other people if Aux doesn't pay it isn't worth joining?
Last Post 16 May 2018 07:06 AM by VicNaz1. 11 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
DaMaverick

--
21 Oct 2017 11:38 PM
    Some of my Coworkers don't think the Auxiliary is worth joining because it doesn't pay. It's not military but if we can assist the Coast Guard when called upon.  One of main reasons why I joined is because  I years ago I had interest in joining the Army National Guard but due to Recruiter issues and PTSD I decided it was not my calling anymore.  Same reason I joined Aux was the same reason I had interest in the Guard, which was basically help out the U.S. when called upon on nation wide crises like Hurricane relief,etc.. Other reason as well was looking at college and security clearance benefits for better security jobs.  Though I won't get a security clearance from the Aux, however speaking with them they said it is one step closer to getting one. Either way I this would help me in the future to get a better security job than what I am doing now as an unarmed security guard.  I don't really need the money because I get paid well for individual living.  I like the volunteer benefits the Coast Guard Civilian programs that works with the Auxiliary that gives same type of assistance to the Coast Guards themselves like for college, travel,shopping, basic base access, etc.. So I can't really complain. That and I also like the fact I can wear a coast guard auxiliary uniform.  It seems that it takes some courage to find to volunteer and do what the Aux do as a volunteer. Because it seems a lot of people that I know won't do it because it doesn't pay.  I've also previously worked on the waters as a AmeriCorps cleaning up trash on the river on a biweekly $420 on a $5hr pay wage in 2006 so Money is not an issue for me. 

Plus the Aux gives me good hands on training and education in other fields I may or may not have experience with as well as minimum volunteer hours I can be in school and at my reg job.
    I don't want to be an unarmed guard forever.  

Has anyone else had issues with others that think the Auxiliary isn't worth the time if it doesn't pay?
    SeaSiren86

--
    04 Nov 2017 08:03 PM
    Don't let the negative people take something you enjoy from you! I'm a Reservist and I joined the Auxiliary a few years back. I think it's fun and I like the passion the people in the Auxiliary have for helping people and getting training. People who are saying those things to you are just jealous! You can use your Auxiliary hours towards a Captain's or Pilot's license. Have fun
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    m1ashooter

--
    05 Nov 2017 03:26 PM
    Don't listen to the people who say you shouldn't because you don't get paid. I bet they are the same ones who think Volunteer Firemen and EMTS are wasting their time too. Many of our medium and small communities depend on the members of their communities who volunteer their time to protect and assist the people in their town. The members of the Aux are no different.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Auxnoob

--
    06 Nov 2017 05:49 AM
    Do it because you want to. Don't "not" do it because someone else badmouths it.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    VicNaz1

--
    09 Dec 2017 05:02 AM
    There are some people who will disrespect you as Coast Guard Auxiliary and will disrespect the CG Aux. in general. Some active duty guys don't even know what Aux. are allowd to do and even here on this web site you may encounter disrespect. Don't let it stop you.

When I've been helping the MK work on the engines of a 41' UTB or kept station in the RB-S so the boarding team members could focus on the other boat I was doing the work and bearing the load. When I've been handling the Nav and coms while flying formation in an RWAI OpEx or coordinating the boat crews during a presidential inauguration I've been walking the talk. You can too and if you're carrying some of the load than you're earning the respect.

If some don't show respect, they're wrong and you can take that to heart. The CG Aux. is worth it. I tell myself that when the pain from the physical therapy gets bad (AuxAir crash, 2014) and I had to tell myself that a bunch of times when working a civ. job with a very disrespectful former marine.

Put on your uniform and keep earning the respect. It's always a roll of the dice as to folks showing respect but earn it and you own it.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Auxnoob

--
    11 Dec 2017 09:47 AM
    Glad to see you back here, VicNaz1.
    eirikr1

--
    21 Jan 2018 09:26 AM
    Posted By Auxnoob on 06 Nov 2017 06:49 AM
    Do it because you want to. Don't "not" do it because someone else badmouths it.
    There is a time for taking advice, for ignoring advice, and for recognizing which way the wind is blowing or telling the wind / rest of the blowhards which way *you* are going.

You are what you are in life because of the choices you have made, or the choices you have allowed others to make for you.

Toddlers and infants can *only* fit into the latter part of that quote, so I know what my choice would be, for the most part. YMMV
    eirikr1

--
    21 Jan 2018 09:27 AM
    btw, you can tell your friends that it's low paying, but you can retire at full pay in only 15 yrs with the aux.
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    22 Jan 2018 10:25 AM
    Retire at full pay in 15 from the auxiliary? Eirikr1, do you know what the hell you are talking about? How can you retire or garner ANY PAY from a force that is 100% voluntary and free of all pay, ever. I think you are confusing auxiliary with reservist. Please check your info, I don't know everything but I do know you are 100% incorrect on this.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Auxnoob

--
    23 Jan 2018 05:26 AM
    It's an inside joke. You can retire from the Aux after 15 years and still have certain privileges with the organization. And you get 100% of your pay since you're working for free.
    eirikr1

--
    27 Jan 2018 03:05 PM
    100% of nothing is nothing, even after 15 years.

I also got a 20% raise when I was promoted to SO at Division. The aux budget can handle it.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    VicNaz1

--
    16 May 2018 07:06 AM
    That brought a smile to my face! Old Guard 2 was apparently sucked into Eirikr1's joke pretty far. No hard feelings guys. It's just a long running inside joke that works with most unpaid work situations.

The fact is that Aux. are allowed to retire after only 15 years and they do get 100% retirement pay but since our pay scale is about the same as the flight altitude for boats, it's not any sort of burden on the federal budget and exceptionally unlikely to change anyone's tax bracket.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement