Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Eczema DQ
Last Post 14 Nov 2017 11:55 AM by 1234bbg. 10 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
1234bbg

--
02 Nov 2017 03:20 PM
    Hello, I am interesting in joining the CG, but I have eczema and I have heard that was an automatic DQ. I have been prescribed medication for it since the age of 13, it is still active and it is mild to moderate. I was wondering if there was any chance of being granted a waiver, or if they are likely to relax the restrictions in the next few years? I assume I am probably out of luck on this, I have heard waivers are granted very rarely but I was wondering what you guys thought. Thank you.

Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    02 Nov 2017 03:32 PM
    Sorry, that is an automatic DQ. There are no waivers for eczema. I know it stinks but just consider you are out on patrol, it extends far longer than initially expected. You run out of medication. Hopefully you can understand why that could be a problem. It can be a danger for you.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    1234bbg

--
    02 Nov 2017 06:10 PM
    That is kind of what I expected, but still disappointing. Thank you for your help. Is this still the case if I know I can deal with it without medication for extended periods of time (albeit somewhat uncomfortably)? I suspect I already know the answer, I just want to make sure that I can't enlist, because I would hate to find out later that I might have been able to. Thank you.
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    magmam

--
    02 Nov 2017 08:26 PM
    My understanding is the DQ for eczema is because of the potential life threatening complications that can occur from the small pox vaccine in people with this condition.
    Resserve Chief/Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    CPORJM

--
    02 Nov 2017 09:32 PM
    If you're on a prescription med for eczema ( or for any condition, for that matter) you cannot just stop using it. Your doctor needs to state you no longer require it. If you stop using the medication, but your medical records say otherwise, MEPS is going to go with what's in your records. I've included a link to the Department of Defense Medical Standards for Enlistment. This is the guide used by MEPS to determine medical suitability. Look on page 36 for details on eczema https://www.dropbox.com/s/fyomvwxotgrcapr/Medical%20Standards%20for%20Enlistment.pdf?dl=0
    "When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."-Jonathan Swift
    1234bbg

--
    03 Nov 2017 02:21 AM
    Ah, I see. I only mentioned that it was prescription because I have heard that prescription medication is more likely to be a DQ than OTC, but it is actually just an ointment that the Dr. said to use whenever I need it. So my eczema has never fully gone away, and the medicine helps but I do not depend on it. Does this make any difference? Or do they just not do waivers for eczema in general?
    Resserve Chief/Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    CPORJM

--
    04 Nov 2017 12:17 PM
    You can always ask your recruiter to submit a waiver, but do you really want to be in a situation where your eczema is flaring up and you can't do anything about it? Boot camp for example. Or an hours long search and rescue case? I admire your desire to serve, but that just may not be in the cards for you. Best of luck
    "When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."-Jonathan Swift
    1234bbg

--
    12 Nov 2017 11:12 PM
    Thank you very much for your help. I have one (possibly final) question I ended up going to the dr the other day and asked them about it, it turns out that the eczema is not actually in my medical file and she said there was a treatment recently developed that could cause my eczema to be totally asymptomatic. So, hypothetically, if my eczema went away, the only issue would be the possible issue with the smallpox vaccine, so, I was wondering if everyone in the CG got the vaccine or only certain individuals. And I have seen that there is a small pox vaccine that is safer for individuals with eczema, do you know if that might ever be an option for service members? Thank you. 

Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    Bells

--
    13 Nov 2017 07:20 AM
    1. I am interested in this treatment. Since I've been in I've developed some sort of inflammatory response to something, so I can tell you, when it's really bad, it sucks. I have to be hopped up on benadryl and as a BM I have to take it only if I don't think im getting Underway.

I was also primarily only getting it on my hands so working salty wet towing lines in the ultraviolet blazing hot sun of Hawaii also was agitating. At first I would take prednisone to make it clear up, obviously that's not ideal and that's what I think the medical manual doesn't want us to be dependant on because it causes other long term problems. Now i just deal with it, and basically ignore it.

I don't have any advice other that, you've already told meps about it so it'll be hard for them to forget about it. So maybe ya, check out the treatment (let me know how it goes) and try again.
    Take what you like and leave the rest behind.
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    Bells

--
    13 Nov 2017 07:21 AM
    Also I don't think we do small pox anymore, at least they aren't showing up with a hole in there arm....
    Take what you like and leave the rest behind.
    1234bbg

--
    14 Nov 2017 11:55 AM
    I will let you know when I get more info about the treatment! I will try to find out if the small pox vaccine will be an issue, but I was actually only just about to contact a recruiter when I read about the DQ so I have not mentioned anything about it to anyone. So, if I can get rid of the eczema, it is good to know I still have a chance of joining down the line.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement