Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
When do I swear in/sign my contract? (+ a couple other questions)
Last Post 07 Nov 2017 08:30 AM by Old Guard2. 4 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
bradd4

--
04 Nov 2017 10:37 PM
    Apologies if this has been asked and/or answered before, but I am having a bit of a hard time finding a definite answer.
    I've done a lot of research on the Coast Guard, so I know that I've read some things, and then others that contradict those things. Everything gets confused and mixed up.

My question though: When do I swear in/sign my contract?
    When am I actually in the Coast Guard? When is it too late to change my mind and decide I don't want to join? (Not that I want to at all, I very much want to be in the CG, just trying to make my question as clear as possible.)

I have been to my recruiter a couple times. I just took the PiCAT ASVAB a few days ago and scored quite well, in my opinion. My recruiter told me he is just waiting for MEPS to clear my medical pre-screen. After that I will get my date to go to MEPS to take the confirmation ASVAB and have my physical done.
    Will I be swearing in/signing my contract there? Or is that at a later point in the process?

I feel like I've read in the past that you can go to MEPS, have them pay for your food/hotel/etc. and still have no obligation to actually join. Is that actually true? Or is that one of the things that I've got mixed up/found misinformation about? It seems from when I've tried researching this recently, that other branched sign up at MEPS. But I couldn't find that information for the Coast Guard.

A couple other small questions I have:

1. At what point in the process do I get my bootcamp date?

2. Is it possible that I don't get the job I want, even if I qualified for it on my ASVAB?
    I told somebody who I know and that is in the CG, and has been for a while, what I scored on the PiCAT. Someone else who was there asked, "So what does that mean?" and the CG member replied, "He will be able to get the job he wants if it's available." I was told there is about a year wait for that job's A school, but is there a chance I don't get to end up going to that A school, even after waiting? The "If it's available." part kinda made me wonder a bit, as I hadn't seen something like that in my research.

3. What kind of time do I have after bootcamp before going to my first station?
    Will I have the opportunity to come home and get my clothes, car, and everything else I might need? How does that whole process work? Do I have to pay for all the transportation during that time? (If I had to fly for example.) I live on the east coast. If I was stationed on the west coast, would I have time to drive there? I'm just wondering how the whole process from bootcamp -> first station works.

Thank you in advance for the help! It is very much appreciated.
    This became a little bit long winded. Definitely much more than what I thought it would be. Hopefully I explained everything well enough to get the answers I'm looking for though. And again, thanks so much!
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    m1ashooter

--
    05 Nov 2017 09:44 AM
    Hopefully I can answer some of your questions. Once you swear in you become the responsibility of the USCG. They will make sure you are housed and fed and pay for your transportation to Cape May and from Cape May to your duty assignment.

1. When you pass the medical and ASVAB process of MEPS you will be sworn into the Delayed Enlistment Program called DEPS. While in DEPS the magic they will work on your background security check and the recruiter will work with you on a ship out date. You can back out at anytime while in DEPS as can the USCG with you. After everything clears you will return to MEPS for a quick checkup, signing the final contract of enlistment and get sworn in. At that point you say farewell to your loved ones and off to Cape May you go. Make sure you check your paperwork at MEPS for any mistakes.

2. Unless you enlist for a critically manned Rate, you will leave Boot camp as a Non Rate. After you have been at your first duty station for four months and having completed your local qualifications and with the recommendation of your command you can put your name on the A school list for any job that you scored high enough to qualify for and are medically qualified for. Then you wait for your name to be called.

3. Travel to your duty station after Cape May is kinda a wild card. You can take 5 days of leave after boot camp to go almost anywhere you want. You travel there on your money. Now here is the wild card. Travel time to your duty station is from Cape May not from your leave address. So if you are from the West Coast and go home on leave and you are assigned to a cutter at Cape May you get maybe a day of travel. If you live on the East Coast and get assigned to the West Coast then you get additional driving time to get there. We live in Houston and my son got assigned to Florida. The distance from Cape May to Florida was almost the same as Houston to Florida so it was no big deal and didn't have to use any of his leave time to travel. I have a friend who lives on the West Coast and his son got stationed in NY. They did a power road trip from the West Coast. I hope this helps.
    bradd4

--
    05 Nov 2017 01:03 PM
    That is exactly what I needed. Definitely helps!
    Thanks so much.
    Phoe214@gmail.com

--
    06 Nov 2017 02:13 PM
    Hello,

I am also an applicant who just sworn in last week. I swore into NY MEPS and signed into my dep contract before shipping off to bootcamp early next year , which will be the final time that i will go to MEPS. I didnt live far so i woke up earlier and drove to MEPS, but you can opt to stay in a hotel the day before. FYI, MEPS starts really early (5:30 -6:00 am) and the time it takes to finish really depends on what you have to do that day. On my first time, I came in from my full physical and taking the asvab. After Dep'ing in , I met with my recruiter again the next week for a pre-pft assessment. And you get something called the Helmsman along with other goodie stuff. Make sure you recall it by heart before going to bootcamp.  

M1ashooter is right . My recruiter told me to apply for guaranteed A school which allows me to put my name in for A school while working as a Nonrate. If you have a college degree, you can also come as an E3 or apply for OCS, which i did for both.  But each A school has their own wait times, so it really depends which one you apply for.  

I read about travel in another forum on this page. We're given 2.5 days of leave each month and that includes bootcamp.  And the USCG has  a system to determine where youre stationed based on the distance from Cape May. If it is far , then they will alot travel time.  

I hope my post helps.

Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    07 Nov 2017 08:30 AM
    First - DEP, not DEPS.

Second - You are not cared for and housed by the CG as soon as you are sworn in. Your first swear in can be up to 90 days before you leave for boot camp. You are not housed and fed until boot camp. Plane tickets are provided by the military to get you to Cape May.

Next - To leave Cape May there are various aspects. The largest being where you will be stationed. We lived in Texas, my son was stationed in Boston. That is 1 day of travel time. The amount they expect you to travel is 1 day per 350 miles from duty station to duty station. Cape May to Boston, 350 miles, 1 day. Now if he got Seattle, he would have had 9 days travel time. That is ON TOP of your leave. Leave time and travel time are mutually exclusive. If you are flying, you get 1 day. Even Orville & Wilbur could have made Seattle faster than 9 days flying. Say you live in Omaha and get stationed in Boston. To go home to Omaha and then back to Boston, that travel is going to be on you, you will pay. If you are going to Seattle, different story. Omaha is on the way so you are just stopping there and the military will pay for you to get all the way to Seattle. It sounds confusing but will be better explained all during boot camp.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement