Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Soon to be a Coast Guardmans Wife and I have Questions...
Last Post 08 Dec 2017 09:42 AM by m1ashooter. 3 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
KaitlynHT

--
07 Dec 2017 03:38 PM
    Hello everyone! 

My name is Kaitlyn Hernandez. Soon to be Kaitlyn Tubbs. My fiance will be in New Jersey for basic next fall and I feel like I don't know what I'm going to need to do to prepare. And I am a prep and plan type of girl. Our current lease will be up just before he leaves. And I'm worried about having to quickly move and find a new place to live. We have two cats instead of children (I'm not sure if that's going to change, but it's the current situation). I live in Southern Indiana. My soon to be in-laws and my parents live in the area as well. I think ideally I would like to know where he will be posted (I'm not sure if it's supposed to be posted, deployed, or stationed...) And just move there before he even leaves for basic but I don't even know if that's a possibility. I have talked to my family and they would of course let me stay with them during the interum but they wont take the cats. I dont know what my options are or how to find them. I don't know how this works in the slightest. I've never been in a military family. And I haven't got a clue. I just know i have a few short months to figure it all out and i could really use the help! 

Thank you!
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    m1ashooter

--
    07 Dec 2017 10:54 PM
    Hi

Flexibility and independence are very important traits for a military spouse. Will you be married before he ships to boot camp? He will not know where he is going to be stationed until week 5 of boot camp. It would be easier if you were married before he leaves or boot camp. When married your husband will receive is housing allowance at a higher rate then if he was single. I've copied a PDF which will answer some questions. The military make almost zero allowance for girl friends and boy friends. Thats why its to your benefit to get married before boot camp.

http://www.nsfamilyline.org/publica...tGuard.pdf
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    08 Dec 2017 08:54 AM
    I love the Sea Legs attachment! M1, that's awesome. It is a tad outdated but still relevant. Bravo sir, thank you.

Kaitlyn, the prep and plan kinda thing, you need to sort of let go a little on that. There is always some prep and plan, there are going to be a lot of "surprise, guess what changed" moments. You can't get to where he will be before boot camp because he won't know where he will be. You will have plenty of time. He will find out in week 5, he will call to tell you. You can then start to LOOK but don't sign anything. Something could happen in boot camp to change those orders. It doesn't happen often but it does happen. You can prep and plan by organizing your belongings so it is easier on the movers. I would let the CG move you professionally. The small amount of money you make doing it yourself (DITY move) is not worth the aggravation and time of packing, renting a truck, moving, loading, unloading. Once you get to where you are going, the unit will typically give you 10 days of house hunting time. That is more than enough time to find a place to live.

As far as your current lease and the timing, speak to your current landlord. Tell them the situation, our lease ends on August 31st. He goes to boot camp on September 4th. I would like to extend our time as a month to month lease for 2 months. This will give him the time to get to and complete boot camp and get us packed in a one and done orderly fashion. Moving home wouldn't be a problem but there are reasons not to. The cats are a big reason. Take me, take my pets or I don't come. They love me unconditionally, I will not put conditions on the return of that love. (I have a small traveling zoo so I get it.) Another reason is what to do with all of your belongings while you are camped out at the parents or in laws house? If you pack it all up and move it into storage, the CG will move it out of storage and to your next destination but the movers will not insure already packed boxes. They have no way of knowing is the box marked "Grandma's China" actually grandma's china or is it bleach that will leak all over and destroy a couch and $5,000 worth of clothing and shoes? They can't guarantee it, they won't insure it.

If he isn't leaving until next fall, you really have plenty of time to work this all out. Don't sweat the small stuff and trust me, this is small stuff. It might not feel like it and the possibility of moving hundreds, possibly thousands of miles away without knowing where that will be, isn't something to sweat. I promise you he will get all the info he needs to make sure you are both provided for. I also promise the CG has done this thousands upon thousands upon thousands of times and they do it very well. There can always be hiccups but just rest easy. Plan your wedding, enjoy your time with your fiance/hubby and we can help you through all this. Even if a question seems totally ridiculous, ask!! We'll answer. We've all had the same questions, we're here to help.

Best of luck and congratulations!! Welcome to a family unlike what you're used to but will love just as much.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    m1ashooter

--
    08 Dec 2017 09:42 AM
    Your future husband is also entitled to a move of 5,000 pounds of household goods at gov't expense.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement