Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Joining With A Degree
Last Post 07 Jan 2018 10:11 PM by CPORJM. 9 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Nbednar

--
22 Dec 2017 10:09 AM
    Hello everyone my name is Neil. I am from Massachusetts. I am 23 years old going on 24 in February. I have a bachelors degree in criminal justice and have a strong interest in law enforcement. During high school and college I always had somewhat of an interest in the Coast Guard even though I knew almost nothing about it. I was a division II swimmer in college so I thought I could use my skills as a swimmer in something great like the Coast Guard. I kind of brushed it off after a while and finished my degree. When I graduated in 2016 I got a job as a security guard with low pay as I looked for better jobs that require a CJ degree. I would apply and either never hear back or get an interview and be told that I don't have enough experience. I also took the civil service exam in Massachusetts for a police officer position in the city I am from and state police as well. Though I scored pretty high it still was not good enough since these jobs have a preference for veterans with military experience. I would go on to look for other law enforcement positions online, such as government positions on USAjobs.com. But yet again most require either law enforcement/military experience. So now I am considering the Coast Guard again in order to gain the experience needed to start a career. I plan on doing research into it but I thought I would start here to see what people think who have first hand knowledge and experience with the Coast Guard for advice and guidance before I talk to a recruiter.
    Trusted Member
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    mkelly

--
    22 Dec 2017 10:53 AM
    I am not really sure if you asked a question or have any specific questions. What would you like to know? I'm stationed in Cape Cod at OTIS. If you would like toast up a tour, I'm sure we could work that out as well.
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    m1ashooter

--
    22 Dec 2017 11:53 PM
    It can be tough to get a job with certain agencies because you don't have veteran preference points. A lot of the current vets are getting VA disability ratings which give them extra points for civil service jobs.

If you are interested in the USCG I suggest you research the different missions the USCG performs. If you like the mission then talk to a recruiter. I can guarantee its a better job then doing what you are doing now.
    jdhusker

--
    23 Dec 2017 05:41 AM
    If you are looking for a police force that doesn't require experience look at the US Capitol Police, you can get a job with just a bachelor's in criminal justice. There are a few entry level federal police positions in the DC area but they are more of security type jobs rather than a field officer position. Or do an enlistment with the coast guard and get a leg up over the other applicants.
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    Bells

--
    23 Dec 2017 08:41 PM
    I joined with the intention of doing four years, getting my masters on the way, and then getting out into the CJ field. Now I'm going on 7.5 years, at my third unit, have both mom and pop law enforcement and drug interdiction law enforcement under my belt, teach CJ classes at the local college at night and online, and have had several call backs to state and federal jobs whenever I apply. I've never pulled the trigger because I'm staying in.

Working security or at a jail is generally what you need to do to get your foot in the door if you are not a veteran or have no experience. Think about it, the CJ academic field really has nothing to do with the practical field other than being able to recite crime theories. CJ is a social science. It's mainly academic. It's like a history degree, all you can do is (for most people) is get a master's and then teach history. Or a psychology degree, you need a master's or doctorate to do anything.

Most upper level fed jobs want direct expirience managing teams, the degree gets you entry level.

Another option would be to try for an federal internship and get your master's in the meantime if you aren't ready to join. But even those vets get preference on.
    Take what you like and leave the rest behind.
    Andisoss

--
    01 Jan 2018 08:21 AM
    Consider joining the Reserve and picking the ME rate. You get a (SECRET) security clearance, attend a boarding officer training course at FLETC (Federal Law Enforcement Training Center) and it will give you a major leg up on your resume.
    Resserve Chief/Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    CPORJM

--
    01 Jan 2018 01:37 PM
    Posted By Andisoss on 01 Jan 2018 08:21 AM
    Consider joining the Reserve and picking the ME rate. You get a (SECRET) security clearance, attend a boarding officer training course at FLETC (Federal Law Enforcement Training Center) and it will give you a major leg up on your resume.
    It's been my experience that civilian LE agencies don't care what you did in the military, as long as you have a Honorable Discharge.  The OP could really go into any rating, AD or SELRES, and still get plenty of LE experience, as well as attend BTM and BO schools.  As far as getting a Secret clearance, all ratings are getting those now.  

"When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."-Jonathan Swift
    Bigfoot1120

--
    02 Jan 2018 04:36 PM
    I would say close to half the applicants that attempt to enlist have degrees. To be blunt, there is nothing special about “ joining with a degree.” The only benefit is you will come In as an E-3. As others here have said, what questions do you have?
    hooligan

--
    06 Jan 2018 09:49 AM
    You sound like a good candidate. Do you like boats, ships, being near and on the oceans, the great lakes, harbors? Then go for it, have a blast, and never look back. Enjoy the moments, because they'll fly by so quickly you'll say, WTF happened so fast? There's also the reserve, a great part time job you can get into after active duty if you find a location you really, really, love.
    Regarding the waterfall of words here and elsewhere, just remember this question to get around the confusion; when does a military service never, ever, sail warships?
    The Coast Guard. Yes. That's right.
    It's not confusing because it cuts thru the word waterfall b.s.
    Under international law, if a warship stops another vessel at sea, say to do a law enforcement activity, that's an act of war. So, for international legal purposes and public relations purposes, the USCG does not sail warships. Technically. Not. A. Warship. Our leaders even go out of their way to avoid attaching onto military campaigns that would gain purely military awards, they don't openly advertise when we do work military campaigns, but if you look closely... squint a little, there it is, USCG. Our public image is intentionally altered, to the point of confusing civilians and military alike, so we appear not to be military sailing warships. But, we are military, oh yes we are, oh yeah, and we do one heck of a lot of law enforcement, and that's the fact, jack. Military, military, military. But we don't sail warships.
    Actually having this status is neat, one that gets a lot of envy and a lot of people competing to get into, not that they'll ever admit it.
    So if you like the ocean, harbors, lakes, boats, ships, and law enforcement too..... you know what to do. Grin and get in and you'll love it even when you're saying how much you hate it. (You'll be saying that to keep other people from knowing how much fun you're having.... most Coasties should be locked up for how much fun they've had and are planning to have. Don't tell anyone.)
    Adios.
    Resserve Chief/Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    CPORJM

--
    07 Jan 2018 10:11 PM
    Posted By hooligan on 06 Jan 2018 09:49 AM
    You sound like a good candidate. Do you like boats, ships, being near and on the oceans, the great lakes, harbors? Then go for it, have a blast, and never look back. Enjoy the moments, because they'll fly by so quickly you'll say, WTF happened so fast? There's also the reserve, a great part time job you can get into after active duty if you find a location you really, really, love.
    Regarding the waterfall of words here and elsewhere, just remember this question to get around the confusion; when does a military service never, ever, sail warships?
    The Coast Guard. Yes. That's right.
    It's not confusing because it cuts thru the word waterfall b.s.
    Under international law, if a warship stops another vessel at sea, say to do a law enforcement activity, that's an act of war. So, for international legal purposes and public relations purposes, the USCG does not sail warships. Technically. Not. A. Warship. Our leaders even go out of their way to avoid attaching onto military campaigns that would gain purely military awards, they don't openly advertise when we do work military campaigns, but if you look closely... squint a little, there it is, USCG. Our public image is intentionally altered, to the point of confusing civilians and military alike, so we appear not to be military sailing warships. But, we are military, oh yes we are, oh yeah, and we do one heck of a lot of law enforcement, and that's the fact, jack. Military, military, military. But we don't sail warships.
    Actually having this status is neat, one that gets a lot of envy and a lot of people competing to get into, not that they'll ever admit it.
    So if you like the ocean, harbors, lakes, boats, ships, and law enforcement too..... you know what to do. Grin and get in and you'll love it even when you're saying how much you hate it. (You'll be saying that to keep other people from knowing how much fun you're having.... most Coasties should be locked up for how much fun they've had and are planning to have. Don't tell anyone.)
    Adios.

Ramble much?
    "When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."-Jonathan Swift
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement