Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Leave Question
Last Post 27 Dec 2017 06:05 PM by Bells. 7 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages Not Resolved
mrmaster911

--
27 Dec 2017 10:46 AM
    So I'm on holiday leave right now and based off what I've been told my leave is from the 24th to the 31st so I have to be back by 0645 December 31st. I was planning on going to a wedding on the 30th and because their aren't any flights i can get to after the wedding. I was told by me BM3 and the CS2 on my boat that since the 31st is a Sunday and its New Years Eve I can arrive back any time of the day as long as I get back by the 31st . Now though we got hit by a major storm and the boat is getting underway. My BM3 says that they could be out for up to a week and may want to pick me up (Seaman) but it is unlikely. I'd have no problem flying back on the 30th but I've been planning on going to this wedding for months and I don't want to shit on the bride and groom who are close friends of mine. 

So do I need to head back on the 30th, I will if needed or does anyone think I can still head back on the 31st and still be in the clear? 
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    27 Dec 2017 11:05 AM
    If your Chief wanted you back forthwith to get underway with your ship, you would have been told to return. If your Chief is assuring you all is ok, continue on, continue on. I would follow up with a text "Hey Chief, just confirming, the ship is getting underway, I am on leave and will not be returning until 12/31. Can you please confirm?" Then if later on down the road someone says why weren't you back... Chief said, here, look. My ex was recalled a few times from leave and we did what we had to do. When he wasn't needed, we stayed on leave. Just confirm in writing. This way no one can ever say that isn't what was stated.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    m1ashooter

--
    27 Dec 2017 11:11 AM
    I would go by what my command tells me. I'd hate to be standing tall in front of the commander and when asked why you are late and your response is some guys on an internet forum said it would be ok. I'm also old school military, but you are in the military and the mission comes first. If my ship was getting underway and weather was moving in I'd try to beat the weather and get to my duty station. Weather events happen but you know its coming.
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    27 Dec 2017 11:15 AM
    I do agree with M1, if weather is moving in and you are worried that even being told not to worry, you need to worry. The bride & groom, if not military, won't understand but that's tough. They aren't going to pay your rent if you get in trouble. Like I said, I wouldn't arbitrarily leave my leave if my command says it is ok to stay on leave. But at the same time I would not risk having to call and say hey, I know you might be looking for me but I'm weathered in and can't get to you until a week from Thursday. Miserable predicament but make the best decision for you and your career. Friends will understand, those that don't, well they aren't friends you need.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    mrmaster911

--
    27 Dec 2017 12:45 PM
    Well it never went as far as my Chief my BM3 just answered it for me and he said situations like this might come up. So I'm still kind of lost he just told me I should follow my approved leave days. The boat is getting underway tomorrow in the middle of my leave so Im safe and they may be gone as long as a week. So there's nothing i could really do. My BM3 said there's a chance they might come to pick me up but I doubt they'd go that far for a single nonrate and he said as much. So the boat would either be back in homeport or underway by the time I got back whether it was the 30th or the 31st.
    Trusted Member
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    mkelly

--
    27 Dec 2017 12:51 PM
    I would say its always better to error on the side of caution. I also recommend to leave an extra buffer day when you take leave just in case something happens. If you have a wedding on the 30th, don't plan your leave to return on the 31st. Next time submit your leave to return on the 1st or later. Also, I'm kind of confused as to why you would end your leave in the middle of the weekend. I think the easiest thing to do is call your supervisor and ask if you can add one more day to your leave just to be safe with weather coming in. If they say no, they may need you back to go underway, then get back to work at 0645 on the 31st. If they are okay with you taking one more day, then do it and that alleviates all of the worry.
    mrmaster911

--
    27 Dec 2017 12:56 PM
    Well thats the thing. I booked my leave from the 24th to the 2nd of January so I'd be able to spend new years here. They give me the days they give me here so you don't always get the exact length of time you want. I'm booking a flight out late on the 30th so I should be able to go to the wedding. Right now I'm just sorting things out.
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    Bells

--
    27 Dec 2017 06:05 PM
    If you aren't back by tle the 31st, and in DA you put your leave in through the 30th, then you need to put in an out-of-bounds chit for the 31st. That will cover you.

If in DA, the 31st was a part of your request, then you don't need an out-of-bounds request.

I don't know your third but or how long they have been in for, but this decision isn't solely on them. Your chain of command needs to know what is going on.

I always put in out-of-bounds requests for the weekends sandwiching my leave, in case flights don't work out, and it goes all the way up the chain, so I know I'm covered. Does stuff happen where flights get delayed? Sure. Keep them in the loop but put that request in
    Take what you like and leave the rest behind.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement