Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Page 7 Career Consequences
Last Post 11 Feb 2018 01:27 PM by Andisoss. 6 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
mrmaster911

--
21 Jan 2018 05:52 PM
    So I got a page seven and now I need some advice about how badly I'm screwed and what to expect. I'll give a summary of what led to it and then give me your thoughts. 

I'm a cutter, won't say where but long story short we were getting underway on a certain day and I had to be up early around 6ish to get there. We were about to head out and I got pulled aside and was told to pick up some gear for the boat. The boat would already be underway so I had to meet up with them. I got the gear and drove to the destination where I was expecting them, arrived around 1630. 30 minutes before they told me to be there because I like being early. I get a call an hour later to head to a different place that's about an hour out. No problem, I drive up and wait for them only they don't get there till around 2130 and by the time we moor up its about 2230. I later find out that its my turn to stand watch from 0000-0600 and at this point I haven't gotten any sleep. The relief is supposed to come 30 minutes early so technically its 2330 to 0530. I chug a bunch of coffee and chug through it. I 

Fast forward and its past 0500 and I'm running on fumes and about to get relieved. I take a moment to rub my eyes, I get woken up and my relief asks me how long I've been asleep. I deny the accusation because I believe I was awake. Goes back in forth till he tells me I'm getting written up. After its over my XO pulls me inside and says that while me being up for roughly 24 hours was a mitigating factor and I carried out all my rounds I should have notified someone that I needed to get some sleep and my action still put the crew in danger. I didn't get any quals pulled or captain's mast but the page 7 is still in my records. I haven't been in for even a year and I already have that on my record and I still remember my CCs telling us how screwed we are with a page 7. How it messes with your career through promotions, getting to A-school (which I still haven't gone to). My shipmates tell me its not bad and its like getting written up in high school, its going to effect your chances of going to college ,etc. 

So, from people who have gotten them or know people who have. Please tell me: how screwed am I?
    Fortune500

--
    21 Jan 2018 09:46 PM
    You are not that screwed. A Page 7 is to document what happened. Make sure that you learn from it and do not do it again. If it did happen again, then there would be further consequences. I recommend talking to your supervisor about whether the Page 7 would impact your marks, or going to A School. Ultimately, continue to work hard, be honest, own up to your mistakes, and you'll be fine. If you want to put in a package for Officer Candidate School, then you'll have to wait a year from the date on the Page 7. Your shipmates should have been looking out for you when they made the watch schedule. Your supervisor should have been aware that you were up for so long prior to standing watch. You should have notified your command that you had been up for so long prior to standing watch. A lot of things failed here. This is why the Coast Guard includes fatigue when we do Operational Risk Management. If we do not get enough rest and sleep, risk of accident, casualty or mishap increases. Without rest and sleep, how efficient could we be as watchstanders?

Going without sleep and relying on coffee is not about being tough, doing the job, or just getting through it. Staying safe and staying alive is more important. We talk a lot about being vigilant, always ready and ready to respond to anything, but in order for us to be able to do that, we have to be aware of our limitations, hence the fatigue standards.

In order to learn from this, I recommend reading the Operational Risk Management COMDTINST 3500.3 Pay attention to what it says about fatigue and identifying hazards pages 3-5.
    https://cg.portal.uscg.mil/sites/externaldata/Directives/CI_3500_3.pdf
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    22 Jan 2018 08:02 AM
    I'm sure you did doze off but it is understandable. However, you should have notified command you needed to be relieved earlier or not stand watch at all. I'm sure they would have made accommodations to the best of their ability. The fact you ONLY got a page 7 and didn't stand tall before the man says they had faith this was a one time oopsy, albeit a dangerous one, and you have learned better protocol for it. Don't sweat a page 7. Don't screw up again but don't sweat it. It sounds like you are trying to be a good Coastie and you're still only a nonrate, that's a good thing. You'll be fine.

Try the link from Fortune500, I can't access it, I'm not a Coastie. But I think it probably has some great info on it, if you haven't already read it. Put this small wrinkle aside, learn from it and be a better Coastie for it. Just an FYI, my ex husband went to Captain's Mast as a nonrate, he did a stupid thing in a drunken moment. He retired a Captain. Just about anything can be worked with and still afford you a terrific career.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    stealthtt24

--
    23 Jan 2018 04:58 PM
    I have one question. The guy who relieved you, was he a non rate as well or a PO? Just curious.
    mrmaster911

--
    25 Jan 2018 11:24 AM
    PO, one my supervisors

ACWest

--
    26 Jan 2018 08:49 AM
    As mentioned by a few others, a negative Page 7 isn't a career killer. The incident might be reflected in your next set or marks, but you can make up for it in subsequent marking periods.

Learn from it, move on, and don't stress yourself worrying about it too much. One day, when you are supervising others, you can use your experience with this as a teaching moment.

I picked up one negative Page 7 in my twenty-five years. It kind of pissed me off for a few minutes, then I moved on and got back to work. In my case, it didn't have any real adverse effect, sort term or long term. Now, i keep it in my career book with other certificates and rewards.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Andisoss

--
    11 Feb 2018 01:27 PM
    I had a few negative "Page 7"s when I was a non-rate and now I am an officer. That is how much no one cares about them in the long term. In fact, I have had people (mostly non-rates) sign them and I end up shredding them before they leave assuming they correct whatever deficiency they had.

In short, do not worry about it. Just do not let it happen again.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement