Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Recent Depot Graduate. Bring on the Questions!
Last Post 15 Mar 2018 07:33 AM by Old Guard2. 18 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages Informative
lilpenny10

--
27 Jan 2018 09:29 AM
    Depot IS not a cake walk. Show up mentally and physically prepared. It is EIGHT weeks crammed into 2.5 weeks basically.
    mrsteve007

--
    27 Jan 2018 04:38 PM
    -What surprised you the most?

-Compared to your expectations, what did you feel you were least prepared for?

-Do you feel that you over prepared for anything?

-Do you come out of DEPOT as an E-3 or E-4?
    otterbox

--
    28 Jan 2018 06:38 AM
    And what can we study for in advance to help make DEPOT go a little smoother for us?
    quickblur

--
    28 Jan 2018 01:44 PM
    Thanks for fielding questions!

-What was the average age of your class?

-Do you know how many were going active vs. reserves?

-For those going into reserves, do you know how many were going to A-school and how many were going straight to their units?

Congrats on graduating!
    lilpenny10

--
    29 Jan 2018 07:39 AM
    -What surprised you the most?    How mentally challenging it was. You are expected to process and memorize massive amounts of information and failing to do so will result in probation then being kicked out.

-Compared to your expectations, what did you feel you were least prepared for?   Physically I could exceed the minimums before I got there but I didn't account for being exhausted, the beatings from CC and getting so many shots at once.

-Do you feel that you over prepared for anything? I don't feel I over prepared for anything. I wish I had studied rates and ranks more than other things.

-Do you come out of DEPOT as an E-3 or E-4? Came out as an E-3. My advice is push hard with your recruiter to graduate as an E-4. Starting as a petty officer before A-School is the way to go!
    lilpenny10

--
    29 Jan 2018 07:40 AM
    General Orders, Rates and Ranks Sleeve and Collar Insignia. Know them in and out
    lilpenny10

--
    29 Jan 2018 07:43 AM

-What was the average age of your class?  I would say average would be 32. Had many near or at 40 and the same being 22-24 and prior service. Pretty even split

-Do you know how many were going active vs. reserves? I would say 60% reserves vs 40% active

-For those going into reserves, do you know how many were going to A-school and how many were going straight to their units? About 50% were going to A School including myself. The half that weren't were either prior service or in law enforcement and had already completed the necessary training to skip A School
    mrsteve007

--
    30 Jan 2018 12:37 AM
    Awesome! Thank you for your responses. Another pair of questions:

-How many DEPOT cohorts started vs. how many finished?

-For those who didn’t make it, what were the reasons?

lilpenny10

--
    30 Jan 2018 10:15 AM
    We started with 42 and graduated 28.

Not being able to meet the minimum physical requirements is an automatic ticket home. There isn't enough time for them to work with you and get you in shape so show up ready!
    TombRaider330

--
    03 Feb 2018 06:12 AM
    Congratulations lilpenny10 & Thank you for all the informative answers and everyone that asked all those great questions. This pretty much summed up everything I had concerned with.

I am also in the process of going to DEPOT, pending MEPS physical exam. Tentative ship date if all goes well is around end of March or April 2018. 

Last part on the counts of how many started vs graduated. That is a big drop! Definitely will continue to prep physically & mentally before I ship out. 

I have a few questions as well, please.

How was the swimming part? How many laps? Meters? is it timed?
    How many weeks do you wait until you go A-School after DEPOT?

lilpenny10

--
    23 Feb 2018 09:10 AM
    Swimming is 100 meters after jumping off a 6 foot elevated platform and swimming one lap around the pool. Its not timed but form is important which I learned after failing. Not a big deal if you fail since remedial swim is a week long and actually very helpful. You get one on one training with an AST prospect plus you get to take a hot shower without being worried about a CC's time limit. They give you one week to show improvement and retest a few times until you get it. Also treading water for five minutes is a requirement as well.

A-school for me is in a a few months. That length of time will just depend on your rate and the waiting list. Some of my shipmates went immediately to A-school from Depot others have over a year wait. Just depends... PM me if you have any other questions. Good luck!
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    23 Feb 2018 09:28 AM
    I taught Red Cross swimming. For treading water... slow and steady. Move your legs like you are peddling a bike. But you are peddling through a slow, lazy park on a warm Sunday afternoon. You are not in the tour de France. Move your arms in a figure 8 motion. Again, like you are trying to get a butterfly to land on you, calm, sedate, slow, even strokes. Not like you are hailing a taxi in NYC at the height of rush hour. Swimming either you have good form or you need to be taught. But treading water should be calm and relaxing. I can tread water for hours and never feel tired. I know some people that can barely tread water for a minute because they are crazed and feel like it has to be constant, insane movement to stay afloat. I taught swimming and my son still ended up in remedial swim as well. He said the same thing, he got great instruction and was able to enjoy a shower without crazy time constraints. Doesn't mean you can shower for an hour but at least you actually get to feel the hot water. LOL
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Lazer

--
    27 Feb 2018 02:19 PM
    Thanks for all the info provided so far lilpenny10! I go to depot in 10 days and I am wondering....

- What is the punishment if a CC asks you rates/ranks/insignias and you draw a blank? Pushups? Remediation? Removal From Program?

- Is there a lot of yelling the entire 3 weeks or do they eventually tone it back a bit?

orbit

--
    12 Mar 2018 07:51 PM
    Lazer- I have similar questions. So what does happen if you are nervous, tired, and draw a blank when called on? I am also wondering if you fail your push ups Do they give you extra training and try to help you pass? I plan to be prepared by the time I get there but just incase...
    BuckyCop

--
    13 Mar 2018 06:56 AM
    If you draw a blank when called on you pay a physical price, possibly just you, possibly the whole company.  You learn to function under stress, and you will always be tired.  Go to Cape May knowing all required knowledge in and out of order and at the drop of the hat.  I used to have my wife wake me up and ask my general orders, or just randomly yell for me to recite the ethos. It worked very well and the answers at Cape May just came automatically which saved me a lot of beatings, but we all still paid the price for other's failures, and we helped those individuals learn everything real quick.

As for push ups sit ups, if you get close but fail you get to go to remedial PT early in the morning.  You lose an hour of sleep to go work out.  Then you retest. Once you pass, you no longer need to go to remedial.  If you arrive at Cape May and can only do 5 push ups, they will probably just send you home because in 3 weeks, you aren't going magically do 24 more.  The CC's will IT you in the morning before you do your PT tests, so make sure you can exceed every PT requirement.  When testing out, you will be sore, exhausted and tired...but you will have adrenaline.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Ljcalimano

--
    14 Mar 2018 06:32 AM
    Wow that is one big DEPOT class. When I went thru DEPOT we started 22 and graduated 20. One was disqualified for health reasons and the other couldnt keep up with the stress.
    calmic88

--
    14 Mar 2018 04:49 PM
    Ljcalimano what health condition disqualified them from training? Seems odd being that they were given the ok via the medical exam at meps. I am headed out soon for the April 22 Depot class.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Ljcalimano

--
    15 Mar 2018 06:35 AM
    I am not going to get into too much detail since it was something serious. The person was sent home due to a mental breakdown, which is why when someone asks me how's DEPOT I always say it is not as easy as you may think. DEPOT is 8 weeks condensed into 3 weeks. You will be working even while you are sleeping.
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    15 Mar 2018 07:33 AM
    Thank you for considering your shipmate and their medical issue. Discretion is always the better part of valor. I do hope your shipmate is ok and has great success in their future. Thank you again.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement