Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
USCG RESERVE DEPOT
Last Post 19 Aug 2018 09:56 AM by Bruthe2396. 10 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Bruthe2396

--
17 Feb 2018 04:58 AM
    Hello all, 

After over a year of gathering paperwork, I got the okay to come down to MEPS for the 2 day physical. I currently work as a patrol police officer in VA and am aiming for the DEPOT program. I’ve been with the Police Dept for 5 years and would like to land an IV or ME postition, primarily IV though. I have several questions related to the DEPOT program. 

* DEPOT is 3 weeks and then you report directly to your job without A school. Will there be any other training at FLETC for ME or IV? I would like to know an idea of how long I’d be gone so I can give me current employer a heads up. 

* DEPOT is described as programs for 27-40 year olds. I’m 26 with 5 years of LE experience and some college. Would this still disqualify me based on age? 

* if I shoot for an IV position, is there a clearance required? 

* For MEPS - I am 6’2 231 lbs. Based on BMI, I’m overweight. I stay active in the gym and mainly focus on weight lifting. I don’t suspect my body fat percentage to be over the required maximum. How do they calculate body fat percentage if you exceed BMI? 

* For MEPS - I’ve taken the ASVAB in high school which was years ago. I’ll have to retake it. Everyone knows cops can’t do math. I’m studying currently. I’d like to know what score I need on the ASVAB to secure an IV or ME position. And if anyone has any tips to prepare for the ASVAB. 

* Lastly, the physical has a 100 meter swim. I live in a rural area that doesn’t really have any pools nearby. With that being said, I’ve always been a decent swimmer. Would running and HIIT training prepare me enough for the swim Since I don’t have a pool nearby? 

I appreciate any answers to my questions in advance. I’m excited to get the ball rolling and become part of the USCG!!! 

Respectfully 

Brandon 

Resserve Chief/Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    CPORJM

--
    17 Feb 2018 09:43 AM
    I've been an IV for 13 years and in the CGR for 18 , so I can answer many of these questions. The first question I have for you is have you contacted the CGIS detachment near you to determine if there are any IV billets (openings)? No openings=no enlistment into that unit. Also know that going into CGIS is much like applying for a civilian PD. Written test/oral board/background/poly/final review by the Director of CGIS. You also need to be able to qualify for a Top Secret clearance, which means another background. This is all on top of having to meet the CG Reserve enlistment qualifications. I've known of a few folks that have easily passed the requirements for enlistment, but not make it into CGIS.

The other issue I see here is your age. At 26, you're a year too young for DEPOT. If IV is what you're set on, then wait the additional year till you're 27 ( I think you can start the process at 26, as long as you're 27 by your ship date). I'll also tell you that five years as a patrol cop doesn't make you much of a viable candidate for CGIS. We're really looking for people with a solid investigative background.

Once you finish DEPOT as an IV, you would report to your detachment for your IDT (drill) periods. Something to know about CGIS, is that the Reservists are not tied to a tradtional one weekend a month/two weeks in the summer schedule. Since you're working alongside the active duty personnel, it's more than likely you'll be doing your IDT during the week. Make sure this is not an issue for you civilian department.

You will go to FLETC for your Intro to CGIS course (as I call it). There's no set schedule as to when that happens.

As for your MEPS related questions, we have a number of current/former recruiters active on this forum who are better prepared to answer those questions

If you have any additional questions specific to CGIS, the IV rating, or the CG Reserve in general, feel free to shoot me a PM here.

Regards
    "When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."-Jonathan Swift
    Bruthe2396

--
    17 Feb 2018 12:40 PM
    Thanks for the reply. Your feedback was really helpful. I suspected there would be a long hiring process somewhat like a PD or federal special agent position considering it’s CGIS. I may have to look into ME. It sounds like I’ll have a better chance being it’s ride around the corner for me. I am planning a visit to MEPS in March. 

Am I able to switch rates once I get a little more experience? I have interviewed for a detective position and am awaiting to possibly hear something in May. My recruiter told me it’s difficult to switch rates while active duty but he wasn’t too sure about reserves. 

Respectfully 
    dthomas482

--
    17 Feb 2018 01:47 PM
    I went through Depot as an ME in 2013. There were people younger than 27 in my class so unless they changed the age requirements you should be fine given the 5 years patrol experience. If you go ME you may be able to get A school waived and graduate as a petty officer (e-4). Some people in my class went into rates outside their civilian job and had to attend A school. CGIS is hard to get into. Transferring rates can be difficult but I had a friend do it last year. I imagine most commands would be supportive of this career advancement and wouldn’t hold you back unless the unit really couldn’t let you go.

I can’t swim well but passed the 100m first try. Just try and find a HS pool to get into if you can to knock the dust off swimming. Don’t worry too much about how much time you’ll spend away from your job. It’s good to give them a heads up but I’ve been gone much more than expected and wouldn’t trade the experiences for anything else. Even if you can’t get into Depot or have to go to A school I’d say go for it. 20 years from now no one will remember you were gone for 4 months during the summer.

-Delsin
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    CPORJM

--
    17 Feb 2018 03:42 PM
    Posted By Bruthe2396 on 17 Feb 2018 01:40 PM
    Thanks for the reply. Your feedback was really helpful. I suspected there would be a long hiring process somewhat like a PD or federal special agent position considering it’s CGIS. I may have to look into ME. It sounds like I’ll have a better chance being it’s ride around the corner for me. I am planning a visit to MEPS in March. 

Am I able to switch rates once I get a little more experience? I have interviewed for a detective position and am awaiting to possibly hear something in May. My recruiter told me it’s difficult to switch rates while active duty but he wasn’t too sure about reserves. 

Respectfully 

It's pretty easy to switch ratings.  I went from PS (the forerunner to ME) to IV back in 2005 and there wasn't much to it. You just base your request on the fact that you want to move to a rating that enables you to use your civilian skill set to benefit the CG.  If you're working a Detective Bureau assignment by then, it should be a snap.
    "When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."-Jonathan Swift
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Ljcalimano

--
    21 Feb 2018 11:55 AM
    In regards to the age, I went through DEPOT when I was 26 years old; however, I turned 27 while I was in DEPOT. Great way to celebrate my birthday! 
    ECU_Pirate

--
    19 Mar 2018 10:31 PM
    I finished up DEPOT earlier this year and we had a couple of people that were in their mid-20s (under 27). I think most of the really younger ones (~22y/o) were all prior service transferring branches, but I am fairly sure we did have a Federal LEO that was 25.
    Bruthe2396

--
    23 Jul 2018 09:23 AM
    Hello all,

Back again. I have yet to start with the USCG. I last got the okay to come down for MEPS and wanted to wait until I heard about a detective position in my current local PD job. Well, still waiting for that detective position and beginning to lose patience.

Up above I talked about the reserves. My interest has now switched to going full time. So here’s some brutal honesty because I could use a clear cut to the chase answer:

I make 61k at my current civilian PD with 6 years of service. My wife stays home and watches two kiddos which is what we want to continue to do. We are paycheck to paycheck. 61k may sound decent but when your having 1200-1300 in taxes taken out, there’s little left to pay bills.

I am thinking about making the leap and doing full time however I know it’ll be a pay cut. I’m looking at quality of life moving forward. Are there any former LEs that can give me some advice that have made the move? I feel like if I invested the last 6 years in the military i could be making well above 61k.
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    CPORJM

--
    23 Jul 2018 12:30 PM
    I think you're overestimating your salary after 6 years. Let's assume you're an E-5, with 6 years of service. You'd get $2925.30/month, or $35,103.60/year before taxes. Granted, this isn't taking into account your housing allowance, and that's variable depending on your assignment location. There's a number of other allowances you may get, but I still think you'd be far short of $61K/year. Also, if you're considering AD, you and the Missus need to have a serious conversation about the fact you will likely be gone for long periods of time, should you end up on a cutter. That would mean she's taking care of the little ones by herself for up to 90 days at a time.

Just some things to think about
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    m1ashooter

--
    24 Jul 2018 06:59 AM
    I agree with the Chief. If you want to serve keep thinking about the reserves. If you resign your LE job to go active and you wash out of Boot Camp its been known to happen then what?
    Bruthe2396

--
    19 Aug 2018 09:56 AM
    Thanks for the input! We’ve been doing a lot of thinking about it. Looks like we will have to do some more. I know it’s a risk that I’d be taking however I may take the chance. Feeling pretty strongly about it despite a pay cut.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement