Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
seeking opinions!
Last Post 16 Apr 2018 05:54 AM by phxcoastie. 6 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
samsgreenggsandham

--
20 Feb 2018 05:52 PM
    Hi all! Trying to decide between St. Pete and Port Angeles! I'm stationed in D7 and everyone here is extremely biased and thinks I'm crazy for preferring Port Angeles (which is why they probably spend their entire careers in Florida ) . I'm going to be a CS2 on an 87. The reason I want to go to Washington is because I miss mountains and lakes without alligators, I miss all four seasons! I also want to add diversity to my career and take advantage of being able to travel in the Coast Guard. I am also married if that affects your opinion! TIA

Trusted Member
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    mkelly

--
    20 Feb 2018 07:05 PM
    It seems like you want to go to Port Angeles so I would go there if I were you. I'm not too sure you will really get all 4 seasons up there but you'll get some changes in weather. I just came from the PNW and I loved it there. Its pretty rural there but there is still tons to do. Seattle isn't too far and there are plenty of mountains and rivers. Take advantage and travel. Drive across the US on your PCS and make a fun trip of it. I prefer the top route over the bottom.
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    21 Feb 2018 07:24 AM
    If you're married, what is your spouses opinion? I always looked at it as though it was my husband's career, we needed to go where he could continue to advance. But I also had to agree on some level. We were NEVER stationed in Florida and believe me, we thanked God dodging that crap bullet. Neither of us would have ever wanted to be there. We did do over 10 years in Alaska, 2 years in New Orleans and then time at HQ in DC before we split up. But my opinion mattered some. Will your spouse be happy? Find employment? Accept a fun adventure? For me... I would rather be in the PNW then Florida, ever! With the exception of your spouse, what does it matter what anyone else thinks about your choice?!?! Go where you'll enjoy a tour!
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    stealthtt24

--
    21 Feb 2018 01:33 PM
    St Pete is amazing, I would go there in a heart beat. I have no experience with Washington though.
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    m1ashooter

--
    21 Feb 2018 04:30 PM
    We are from Texas and my son grew up wearing flip flops. He enjoyed St Pete. He runs missions in and out of PA. There isn't much that far up. Today it was 26 degrees. He doesn't like the cold and rain. The PNW is rainy with low clouds a lot of the year. I saw him today and his complexion looks like he is English kind of pasty white. If you like to hunt, camp and fish and don't mind the rain then PA could be a fun adventure.
    Trusted Member
    Gears

--
    22 Feb 2018 06:30 AM
    St Pete and the Gulf Coast are pretty great, I got to spend some time there before I left D7. It really depends on what you want as far as lifestyle. Tampa/St. Pete always has something going on, you can set your watch to the 5pm thunderstorms, and you have good weather year round. I've never been to the PNW, but I hear it's pretty great with the exception of the Seattle Freeze where people are impossibly socially awkward making it impossible to make friends.
    “I’m not in this world to live up to your expectations and you’re not in this world to live up to mine.” ― Bruce Lee
    phxcoastie

--
    16 Apr 2018 05:54 AM
    I've never been to the PNW, but I hear it's pretty great with the exception of the Seattle Freeze where people are impossibly socially awkward making it impossible to make friends.

I have never lived in Seattle, but I have visited several times and I found the people to be great. Warm and friendly. The city if very progressive with a ton to do. I have friends stationed there who didn't want to go, but ended up putting down roots because they liked it so much. Comes down to opinion of course... I live in Hawaii and there are people out here who hate it (crazy, I know).

In your decision, take into consideration the mission you'll be doing. If you don't care one way or the other, then so be it. But, D7 will deal with a lot of AMIO. Whilst D13 will primarily be fisheries and SAR. Also, you'll be getting the snot kicked out of you in the PNW on an 87', but hey, that's part of the adventure!

I was stationed in D7 (Islamorada, AIRSTA Miami, HITRON) for 9 years before finally getting back west. I definitely prefer the west coast; it's rugged, scenic, and wild. I like the cities and the people. I've spent time in Port Angeles, and it is quite beautiful. It is however quite isolated, so keep that in mind. If you're married and you and your spouse are into tearing up the town and big city living, then I would probably take St Pete. If small, craft breweries and farmer's markets are more your speed, then PA is where you wanna be.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement