Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Alcoholic Incidents
Last Post 12 Mar 2018 04:39 PM by Andisoss. 6 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
nonratedad

--
09 Mar 2018 07:09 PM
    Hey everyone,

Not new the the forum never signed up but I have been off and on the forum for a couple years. 

Here is the rundown, been in about 4 years now I am still a non rate. I just had my second alcoholic incident and I know that is cause for removal from the Coast Guard. I was just wondering if anyone has any insight on how to be able to be retained, or ever heard of anyone that has been. 

I love what we do as a branch, and I am not a bad individual I just have made a couple bad choices. Any input would help. Thanks
    Trusted Member
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    mkelly

--
    10 Mar 2018 05:04 PM
    I could be wrong but I don't think it is cause for removal, I think it is automatic removal. I do not think there is a choice to be retained. Your contract cannot be renewed.
    nonratedad

--
    10 Mar 2018 08:37 PM
    Thanks for the input mkelly. I’m just going off what the manual CIM 1000.10 which is the CG Drug and Alcohol manual it states

Enlisted members involved in a second alcohol incident will normally be processed for separation in accordance within Article 1.B.15. of reference (c), Military Separations, COMDTINST M1000.4 (series).

(1) Request for Retention. Commanding officers retain the authority to request retention of those enlisted members who they believe warrant such exception. However, retention of enlisted members following a second alcohol incident should not be considered a routine action. In those cases when a commanding officer feels that mitigating circumstances or an exceptional situation warrants consideration for retention, a letter request for retention and treatment, including the medical screening results, treatment plan, and commanding officer's recommendation concerning treatment shall be forwarded via the chain of command to Commander (CG PSC-EPM) who shall consult with Commandant (CG-112) and direct the appropriate action regarding retention. The command recommendation for retention will be submitted as a cover letter to the required discharge package.

So my question is, has anyone heard of this program on being retained?
    Resserve Chief/Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    CPORJM

--
    10 Mar 2018 09:18 PM
    It wouldn't matter if I knew of someone who was retained after a second alcohol incident. Every one is different. If you've had two incidents, clearly there's an issue.
    "When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."-Jonathan Swift
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    11 Mar 2018 09:10 AM
    Actions have consequences. No one is saying you're a bad person, like you said, just some mistakes. But those mistakes are going to cost you.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Trusted Member
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    mkelly

--
    11 Mar 2018 02:02 PM
    So the way that reads is that you have to be processed for discharge and the CO can put a cover letter on there requesting you not be discharged. I don't really know anything about you but a 4 year non-rate with 2 alcohol incidents has a lot of cards stacked against you. Is your command requesting you not be discharged?

CRISP is another thing that is going to make it almost impossible for you to stay in. Whatever "A" school list your name is on, it will be taken off and you are going to have to wait to put it back on, and then wait to go to the school. By the time you are out of school, you will have almost no time before you are processed out for not advancing. What do you have to offer to the Coast Guard as reason they pay to train you again and keep you in? This is the question your CO will have to answer.

I wish you the best of luck but I'm afraid you may need something more than luck to get you through this. Learn from it and land on your feet running
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Andisoss

--
    12 Mar 2018 04:39 PM
    NRD,

I have only ever submitted retention request for senior enlisted members who are close to retirement and/or had a long gap (10+ years) between their last alcohol incident. I would never do it for anyone in your situation. With this track record, you would have 3 more by the time you are eligible for retirement and that is just a waste of everyone's time and money.

A lot of people have left the service under worse circumstances and gone on to do wonderful things with their life. I wish you the best.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement