Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Non rate assignments directly out of bootcamp
Last Post 16 Apr 2018 06:48 AM by phxcoastie. 11 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
USCGMom97

--
19 Mar 2018 09:41 PM
    My daughter leaves to boot camp in May 2018. She is non rated due to her ASVAB score.  What would be the best dream assignment to request? She was told that she could retake the ASVAB after boot camp and her 4 month duty.
    Trusted Member
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    JBraz

--
    20 Mar 2018 04:36 AM
    Everyones dream assignment is different. FL is highly requested, probably easier to get if you hablar Espanol.
    ~My destiny is to help others fulfill their destiny~
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    20 Mar 2018 07:03 AM
    She is not a nonrate due to her ASVAB score. She is a nonrate like every other graduate of boot camp. Her ASVAB score determines what A School she can attend to become a Petty Officer. 99% of people will not graduate boot camp as a Petty Officer, the exception are prior service people and even some of them don't qualify. So don't confuse nonrate with a lower ASVAB score, that is wholly not one in the same.

As far as dream station, my friend JBraz says Florida is popular. Not to this family. If we went to Florida that would have been torture. We wanted Alaska and got it. Some people might think the Great Lakes area is a dream location. Others might say Hawaii or the gulf coast of Texas. We are all different. What she does when she arrives at whatever unit, wherever it is, is what makes a dream location. If she goes there and doesn't take advantage of every opportunity the CG has, that's a shame. If she goes there and doesn't take advantage of everything that location has to offer, that's a shame. She will make her location a dream, not get a dream location.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    m1ashooter

--
    20 Mar 2018 08:58 AM
    Something to take into consideration. What kind of weather did she grow up in and where would she like to live for the next year or two? For example we live on the Texas Gulf Coast. My son grew up wearing flip flops and shorts. He didn't want to go anywhere it was cold or snow. He asked for a cutter out of Florida. He was assigned to a cutter out of St Petersburg until he went to A School. Then at A School they drew assignments that all were some place snowy and cold with the exception on one that is rainy dreary and semi cold. You make the best of where you are. Also something to consider, there are a lot of semi remote boat stations in very small towns. If your daughter is not a small town person then she might want a cutter out of boot camp.
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    20 Mar 2018 09:24 AM
    Something else to take into consideration... It truly doesn't matter what she wants or where she desires to be, it is needs of the service. You can ask for palm trees and get penguins. It happens all the time. She can ask for what she wants, it does not mean she will get it.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    CoastieDad13

--
    20 Mar 2018 10:45 AM
    I still like to look at the CG Grad Blog and bring up the PDF for the graduations... It shows where the first assignments are ( http://bootcamp.coastguard.dodlive.mil/ ). My son (W-194) put down all warm/nice weather locations with his last choice being District 9 (Great Lakes) and got Sector Buffalo. I like the nonrate process as it allows them to see/try different rates so they can decide on the A school they want to try for. Good luck to your Coastie...
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Andisoss

--
    21 Mar 2018 02:53 PM
    I don't care what any of these people say. Tell her to aim for the stars. Go crazy. My top pick would be STA Lake Tahoe. I know people who actually volunteered to serve on a cutter out of Bahrain just for the chance of to get stationed there.
    Phoe214@gmail.com

--
    01 Apr 2018 09:35 PM
    Hi,

recent bootcamp graduate here (finished last friday). I got assigned to a 110 cutter in South Portland, Maine as a Seaman.
    My duties include crewman, Quarter master of the watch (log keeping and navigation). I need to get boat crewman and boarding team qualified before I can put my name on an A school list. Whenever we dont work on the cutter, we work on the dry docks. At my workplace, we only work only half a day. But, advise to check if her unit has a striker program.
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    magmam

--
    02 Apr 2018 03:16 PM
    Curious...are they still giving the small pox vaccine at boot?

Resserve Chief/Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    CPORJM

--
    02 Apr 2018 05:53 PM
    Posted By Phoe214@gmail.com on 01 Apr 2018 10:35 PM
    Hi,

recent bootcamp graduate here (finished last friday). I got assigned to a 110 cutter in South Portland, Maine as a Seaman.
    My duties include crewman, Quarter master of the watch (log keeping and navigation). I need to get boat crewman and boarding team qualified before I can put my name on an A school list. Whenever we dont work on the cutter, we work on the dry docks. At my workplace, we only work only half a day. But, advise to check if her unit has a striker program.

Unless things have changed (again), there's no Striker program.
    "When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."-Jonathan Swift
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    Bells

--
    02 Apr 2018 07:47 PM
    There is no striker program. Only A-school
    Take what you like and leave the rest behind.
    phxcoastie

--
    16 Apr 2018 06:48 AM
    Everyone else hit it right on the head... The best assignment is the one your daughter is the most successful at and the one that is most fulfilling to her. Usually this isn't achieved at your first unit. Your time as a non-rate is limited. It's more of a learning period; almost like a rite of passage. That being said, it's important to really have an understanding of what each rate does in the CG. Her time as a non-rate will give her exposure to different rates (at least a handful of them), as well as the ups and downs experienced by the people who live them. It's important that non-rates don't rush into jobs they may not want down the road (choose your rate, choose your fate). Some folks really want off of a ship, or out of a geographic area, so they settle for an 'A' school that offers an earlier date.
    She'll have no problem retaking the ASVAB. It is a very common thing. I retook mine twice to get into aviation. Looking back it was a drop in the bucket.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement