Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Black Hulls and Inland Tenders
Last Post 09 Jul 2018 07:59 AM by tc1uscg. 5 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages Not Resolved
PotatoFarmer

--
21 Apr 2018 10:22 AM
    Having only been on a big white hull, I've been wondering about what life is like in the black hull community.
    The things I've heard from others roughly amounted to short and defined underway periods, a lot of hard work on the deck, lots of fun when in port and etc.
    Just wanted to find out a little more about what life is like on 225' buoy tenders and the river and construction tenders on the Mississippi River..

What third class billets might they need? What is underway work routine like?
    I was told that on river tenders the crew works long days clearing brush and landscaping.
    What is the purpose of that? What is standing duty like in port on those?

Also, what are the crew berthings and facilities like on board? Is there a gym on board?
    Lastly, what do construction tenders do? Why are almost all of them based in Louisiana?

Please help me sort it out..
    Fortune500

--
    24 Apr 2018 03:04 AM
    E-4 billets might include BM, MK, CS, IT, EM, ET. Maybe a YN or SK.  No OS are on board,, probably no IS, or ME either. These cutters get underway to go and fix stuff that is broken; generally they are not for SAR or LE response. However, if I had a case, and they were in the area, then they could be tasked to respond.

Sometimes navigation aids are on land and the brush grows up around the aids, obstructing the signs, lights, letters or numbers painted onto the aid.

That's all i know about the tenders.
    PotatoFarmer

--
    28 Apr 2018 10:30 AM
    Thanks for your input.

I doubt that all the billets you mentioned would be third class billets and not independent duty 2nd or 1st.

Found this great article about construction tenders. A very good read.

https://www.defensemedianetwork.com/stories/the-coast-guards-aging-inland-construction-tenders/
    Fortune500

--
    28 Apr 2018 05:48 PM
    That's why I said E-4 billets might include those rates; it was an inclusive list. You asked about the black hull community in general, so the billet structures will vary from a 225' to 65' to the construction and river tenders.
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    m1ashooter

--
    28 Apr 2018 10:52 PM
    Search Youtube. There are quite a few videos of Black Hull and Construction Tenders and crews at work. I've been told from a few people that they loved the black hull world.
    tc1uscg

--
    09 Jul 2018 07:59 AM
    Posted By Fortune500 on 24 Apr 2018 04:04 AM
    E-4 billets might include BM, MK, CS, IT, EM, ET. Maybe a YN or SK.  No OS are on board,, probably no IS, or ME either. These cutters get underway to go and fix stuff that is broken; generally they are not for SAR or LE response. However, if I had a case, and they were in the area, then they could be tasked to respond.

Sometimes navigation aids are on land and the brush grows up around the aids, obstructing the signs, lights, letters or numbers painted onto the aid.

That's all i know about the tenders.

Dude, you are looking at a construction tender and you ask about a gym? Your gym will be the deck and your "time at the gym" will every day you are out on the river tending ATON. When I was a 3rd and 2nd class radioman at Ohio River Group in Owensboro Ky (back in the 80's), The Chippewa and Osage were in our AOR. The BM's on those boats had arms bigger then my legs. Pushing those few hundred pound sinkers over the side and wrestling with the chains, cables and yes, even buoy's, will take care of just about every muscle you got. For cardio work outs, you get that running from bee's, snakes and other unknown furry critters you run into on the bank, not excluding some irate farmer chasing you with his tractor when you go ashore trying to recover a buoy that ended up in his corn field after the last flood. Or from the boats Master Chief chasing you around on the deck after letting go a sinker w/o a buoy being attached. Gym? You don't need a stinking gym. 
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement