Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Auxiliary Jobs
Last Post 19 May 2018 10:33 AM by jtulls. 3 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
jtulls

--
27 Apr 2018 06:13 PM
    I've been doing some research and am interested in joining the Reserves but have had a past knee surgery and I'm unsure if I'll get a medical waiver approved.  I'm still really interested in joining the USCG in some capacity and it seems like the Auxiliary could be a good fall back.  I'm interested in being a small boat coxswain (I currently hold a 50GT Master / OUPV near coastal captain's license) and hopefully serving alongside active duty/reserves.  Is the possibility of that flotilla dependent?  Any info is greatly appreciated!
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Auxnoob

--
    30 Apr 2018 07:59 AM
    If you can demonstrate you can physically do the required duty, and you pass all the qualifications required, you can serve with the Active Duty or Reserves as an Auxiliarist. There is no physical required as such. Your proximity to an Active Duty station does make a difference, as you need to spend enough time underway to maintain quals. The flotilla makes less of a difference, but each flotilla is different, so look for one that will support your aims.

That said, my son had ACL replacement surgery and Achilles tendon damage (both from college athletics) and was given a waiver. You won't know until you go.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    VicNaz1

--
    14 May 2018 07:35 AM
    Under Title 14 if you become a CG Aux. you can be assigned to any job in the Coast Guard that you qualify for. That said, current policy does not assign Aux. to any duty where he or she has deputized law enforcement authority or will be involved in shooting combat.

Aside from that, if you advance in Auxiliary qualifications you can ask to be allowed to become certified for various active duty functions which is called 'assignment to duty as direct augmentation to the active duty'. Some of these like duty cook or radio watcherstander are heavily promoted with programs to support Aux. participation. Other duties you have to go looking for or watch for the request from an active duty command.

You will have to measure up to whatever standards are required of active duty. That means all written standards as well as any additional ones the Commander or officer in charge say. I served as boat crew and watch stander at 2 stations and had to do the run, sit-ups, push-ups, etc. as well as all of the book learning just like a cherry new seaman. It's been privilege to be allowed to do it and an honor to serve.
    jtulls

--
    19 May 2018 10:33 AM
    Thanks for the replies. I really want to go the route of Reserves but I filled out the application with my recruiter this past week and he let me know the other day that because of the retained hardware in my knee, I will be DQ'ed and not able to get a waiver. Looking through the medical guidelines though, it seems like things changed a few years back and retained hardware is able to get a waiver if everything is healed (which it should be -- surgery was over 3 years ago). I'm planning to follow up with my recruiter to see if he's just playing hardball or if there is something I haven't found that is preventing me from even getting in the door for an in person interview with my recruiter.

But, given that all waivers come down to the recruiter's willingness, it seems likely that I may have to fall back to going Aux. I live just a few miles from a CG Station so I should be able to spend time there to maintain quals. As for fitness, I've been training the last few months to meet the minimum PT standards for boot camp and can currently meet everything, so I'm not too worried about that. I'll reach out to my local flotilla and see what information that can provide!
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement