Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Insignia Descriptions and Buns
Last Post 15 May 2018 04:05 PM by bond7girl. 5 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages Not Resolved
bond7girl

--
07 May 2018 09:28 AM
    I ship for boot camp in July, and am working on memorizing describing the different insignia. I found a couple of old YouTube videos, but have heard that the way you are expected to describe collar devices, shoulder boards, and sleeve insignia has changed. What is the proper way to do it? I also have yet to find how they want you to describe the sleeve insignia for non rates, is it simply (x number) silver bars?

I also want to know the proper way of doing the bun. I know some branches require the "sock bun", using a mesh doughnut, however my recruiter said that is not how it's done. I know it needs to be slicked back with loads of gel, but not how they want you to form the bun itself. The female recruiter told me to chop my hair short, but as it's large and curly when long, it only gets larger short and looks like a lion's mane. I don't think Mufasa hair is in regs!

Thanks, y'all!
    cgrable

--
    09 May 2018 07:22 AM
    When in July do you ship out? I also ship in July. 

As far as describing shoulder boards and all that make sure you when using numbers you put a zero in front of single digits (02, 05, etc.) and for double digits instead of saying twelve say one two but I don't think any ranking has double digit anything on their person. There is also this website you can go to called www.survivecoastguardbootcamp.com and this is a paper leaf book you can purchase and print out. The guy who wrote it is a current CG or past CG but everything is updated for how they say things currently in boot camp and how to describe them. He updates the chain of command if need be so its pretty legit. I bought it back in october and it's a lifesaver. It has everything you need to know. 

As far as hair goes, I am in the same boat. My hair is curly/wavy and thick. I have learned to pull it into a regular ponytail then twist that and roll it into a bun and gel/hairspray everything down and use bobby pins for loose hair. 

I hope this helps some. 
    jdhusker

--
    10 May 2018 03:49 PM
    You don't need to pay for anything to study for boot camp. Describing non rate sleeves insignia is "zero two white stripes" or "zero three white stripes" and red stripes for firemen. Collar devices examples are "zero two silver bars" for lieutenant or O-3 (Oscar three). "Zero two gold chevrons below zero one silver shield" for petty officer second class or E-5 (echo five). The number 9 is always pronounced "niner". As for your hair they will teach you how to do it when you get there. Learn all of your insignias, collar devices , etc but don't focus too much on how to say them, it could be slightly different when you get there. You can find everything from that boot camp survival guide online or ask on this website, you don't need to pay. The little bit of info i gave you should help put you ahead of others but as long as you know all of the required knowledge you are set, you will learn how they want you to speak very quickly
    bond7girl

--
    11 May 2018 09:27 AM
    Cgrable, I ship on the 17th. Thanks for the bun info, I couldn't find the regs for how the bun should be done.

Jghusker, thanks for the insignia info!
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    Bells

--
    12 May 2018 11:08 AM
    It's just, put your hair in a ponytail, and then twist and secure with another hair the.

If your hair is super curly, and it's healthy, maybe consider getting it chemically straightened. This will help alot with getting it under control. It's not so popular anymore but lots of girls did it maybe 8-10 years ago
    Take what you like and leave the rest behind.
    bond7girl

--
    15 May 2018 04:05 PM
    Bells, that's a good idea. My hair is really dry, though, so having it chemically straightened might just make it a giant fuzz ball.

Would I be able to take frizz serum? If I use that post shower, my hair stays fairly tame, especially if I follow it with gel.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement