Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Young people
Last Post 01 Oct 2018 08:37 AM by rrle. 24 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
chuck001

--
10 May 2018 08:29 AM
    I saw a pie chart showing the current age distribution throughout the CG Aux and it's not good.  I'm coming from the angle of the younger generation not stepping up to the plate.  I really admire the older men and women who put their heart and soul in this organization and it saddens me that young folks don't seem to care.  I'm not saying ALL young people but you have to admit, the drive is not there with this generation coming up.  I think I am the youngest member of my Flotilla, being 37 yo, and I'm not sure if there is anyone under 50 or so in the surrounding Flotillas.  It's not just the Aux, but it seems to be a problem everywhere.

On the flip side of my rant, lol, young folks are not completely to blame for not showing much interest.  Older members will recruit some younger people and then treat them like they are 5 yo.  I see this everywhere especially in the Moose Lodge.  It's like they want the dues and participation from young members but try to control everything since "it's always been this way or that way".

Do you experience this as well?  Any remedies?

Do you believe maybe its time to organize and propose some sort of compensation or would that be compromising the integrity of selfless service?
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    VicNaz1

--
    16 May 2018 07:38 AM
    Hi there Chuck,
    You are completely correct. The Aux. is getting older. At 53 and a member since age 41, I am one of the younger ones in my AuxAir unit. The Aux. has seen declining membership in general over the last 20 - 30 years for many reasons but one of the most stark reasons is that the incoming personnel have often been of an older generation that seems more focused on contributing to solutions. One of my members who just retired from the Aux. was an enlisted in the Army during the 50s, used his GI bill to get his degree. Went into the Air Force as an officer, retired as a Major and then ended up joining the Coast Guard Aux. and gave our nation another decade and a half of service, unpaid. It's hard to find that kind of drive and commitment in the general public these days, especiallly among younger people who often seem focused on getting something for free rather than giving something for free.

For recruiting purposes, look for the kind of people you know already seem to be focused on contributing. You won't necessarily find many folks with 3 sets of uniforms in his closet like my recently retired Aux. member but look for the young men and woman who mentor at school, donate at church, participate in neighborhood clean-up activities. Some of these folks might want to become part of a dedicated, official, make-the-world-better organization like the Coast Guard and if active duty isn't their thing, maybe the Auxiliary is. I usually frame it like being a volunteer fireman. Contribute and save lives. Maybe that will help with out age issue. We need more young superheroes.
    Still_Waiting

--
    11 Jun 2018 07:03 AM
    I'm a Millennial in my 30s, so I could probably guess the many reasons why younger people don't want to join the Coast Guard Auxiliary. The most obvious reason is that hardly anyone knows about it.

Young people do want to volunteer, but they want to feel like they're actually doing something. You have young people volunteering to work with the poor and other disadvantaged people. Doing vessel safety checks and providing boater safety education just isn't as appealing to them.

I've seen young people come to meetings with interest in the Auxiliary and never come back. The meetings, alone, are enough to turn young people off. And, once they see that most of the members are old enough to be their grandparents, they don't feel like they'll fit in.

For those under 18, the Civil Air Patrol, Young Marines, and Sea Cadets provide many more opportunities. Once these kids graduate high school, many will join the military.

For the public safety types (which includes me), they're going to join EMS, police, and fire departments. That IS their way of contributing to society.

I've been waiting a year just to get AP status in the Coast Guard Auxiliary, and my Civil Air Patrol squadron for adults does nothing. While I'm still young and physically capable, I can do so much more. Therefore, I plan to join a volunteer fire department.

If a young person lives in a state with an active State Defense Force, I highly recommend that. The Texas State Guard deployed thousands during Hurricane Harvey whereas the Auxiliary only deployed about 100 people. The Civil Air Patrol took damage assessment pictures and transported government personnel. 
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    15 Jun 2018 03:23 PM
    I am not a millennial, far from it actually. I can tell you why my volunteering is cut to a minimum when at all... I don't feel appreciated. I volunteered for more things in 4 years when I lived in Valdez than most people will in a lifetime, save a few like those mentioned here. I did strong, meaningful work in a small town that appreciated anyone and everyone that stepped up to help. Here, I've looked to volunteer, I have so much more life experience now, and I get told go sit in a corner and stuff envelopes. I get told to sweep the floors of the office (I really did get told that by one organization). I also got told without a degree I don't qualify to volunteer. A DEGREE! To VOLUNTEER! I'm sorry, if I had a degree, I would be interviewing the volunteers, not being a volunteer. I was also told if I speak only English, don't even bother.

I was the Vice President of the local Food Bank. I did all the shopping, I helped with United Way paperwork. I handed out all the food when we were open. I did all the holiday baskets, buying, creating, delivering... In one instance for a family living on a sailboat in the harbor, all the cooking!

I was a large contributor to the yearly Salmon Derby. Between Jim & I we arranged all the gifts to be distributed for a 30 day derby.

I was with the local Health Fair. One of the more rewarding things I did, was a crisis counselor with the local women's shelter. I handled the crisis line when it was my turn, i did intake at the shelter, I went to the hospital with victims, I went to court with victims. I went with the local police department to serve restraining orders. Here? Here I get told well, if you want to come in on a Tuesday afternoon, we can use help getting stuff to the post office. Well I work, so weekday afternoon stuff is a little impossible. Plus that's not getting my hands dirty. That's for someone that wants to say "Oh I volunteer" but keeps their emotions and body out of the trenches.

To volunteer, you want to feel you make a difference. If all you are tasked to do is meaningless grunt work and feel you're not contributing, why would you stay? I can't do auxiliary because I don't have the money for uniforms and all of that. But again, if the older set makes the younger set feel like "this is how we've always done it, you sit over there and look pretty" what would entice the younger set to contribute? Sometimes it is looking to the organization to get new people... Not the new people looking to the organization to join.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    eirikr1

--
    19 Jun 2018 09:55 PM
    Posted By Still_Waiting on 11 Jun 2018 07:03 AM

>Young people do want to volunteer, but they want to feel like they're actually doing something. 

>I've been waiting a year just to get AP status in the Coast Guard Auxiliary, and my Civil Air Patrol squadron for adults does nothing. While I'm still young and physically capable, I can do so much more. Therefore, I plan to join a volunteer fire department.

This is something the aux, as an organization, does a really bad job of. Potential New members are a rare resource, and we act like they grow on trees, and need to prove themselves to us. New members are never as enthusiastic, committed, and high energy as they are in the first 90 days. We give them a book and do the most we can to bore them to tears and calm down. And then throw training for jobs they can't do, and overtraining for jobs they can. 

> The Texas State Guard deployed thousands during Hurricane Harvey whereas the Auxiliary only deployed about 100 people. The Civil Air Patrol took damage assessment pictures and transported government personnel. 

Whereas the auxiliary goes out of it's way to announce that we are not a first responder agency. 

USCG Boat Driver

--
    19 Jun 2018 11:19 PM
    It's time to disband the Auxiliary, as it has become a burden and liability for the Coast Guard. Most Auxiliarists are too old to be on boats out in the elements, they aren't medically screened before they start getting on boats, and fail to report medical issues like they are supposed to. This is a huge liability for the CG, as evidenced by the Aux boat crash in Florida a few years ago.

Auxiliarists also have problems following policies and procedures, often teach the wrong thing to boaters during their boating safety classes, or when conducting vessel safety checks, and frequently embarrass the CG. Most Auxiliarists balk at the standards for maintaining their PPE, and fail to do so.

Times of changed, young people don't care to be involved with the Auxiliary and the silly games/politics associated with it. It's time to let the Auxiliary go, and reprogram the funding used to support the Aux into the real Coast Guard. We could use it to fix some of our crumbling shore stations.
    Still_Waiting

--
    21 Jun 2018 05:00 PM
    Posted By eirikr1 on 19 Jun 2018 09:55 PM 
    Whereas the auxiliary goes out of it's way to announce that we are not a first responder agency. 

This is what it says on their website. 

The Auxiliary operates in
    • Safety and Security Patrols
    • Search and Rescue
    • Mass Casualty or Disasters
    • Pollution Response & Patrols
    • Homeland Security
    • Recreational Boating Safety
    • Commercial Fishing and Vessel Exams
    • Platforms for Boarding Parties
    • Recruit for all service in the Coast Guard

In addition to the above, the U.S. Coast Guard Auxiliary operates in any mission as directed by the Commandant of the U.S. Coast Guard or Secretary of Homeland Security.

Our Mission

• To promote and improve Recreational Boating Safety
    • To provide trained crews and facilities to augment the Coast Guard and enhance safety and security of our ports, waterways, and coastal regions
    • To support Coast Guard operational, administrative, and logistical Requirements
    Our Vice Division Commander, who used to be my flotilla commander, said that they wanted to send more auxiliarists to help with Hurricane Harvey, but there were issues with communication and lack of organization. They plan to have quick response teams ready to go for future disasters. We all know that auxiliarists are not going to be out in the water rescuing people; they will mostly be taking over other Coast Guard duties so that the Coast Guard can send more manpower out into the field. 

I'm still waiting for AP status. The Coast Guard must be incredibly shorthanded if it takes them over a year to run fingerprints. 
    baloo0136

--
    22 Jun 2018 09:55 AM
    Posted By USCG Boat Driver on 19 Jun 2018 11:19 PM
    It's time to disband the Auxiliary, as it has become a burden and liability for the Coast Guard. Most Auxiliarists are too old to be on boats out in the elements, they aren't medically screened before they start getting on boats, and fail to report medical issues like they are supposed to. This is a huge liability for the CG, as evidenced by the Aux boat crash in Florida a few years ago.

Auxiliarists also have problems following policies and procedures, often teach the wrong thing to boaters during their boating safety classes, or when conducting vessel safety checks, and frequently embarrass the CG. Most Auxiliarists balk at the standards for maintaining their PPE, and fail to do so.

Times of changed, young people don't care to be involved with the Auxiliary and the silly games/politics associated with it. It's time to let the Auxiliary go, and reprogram the funding used to support the Aux into the real Coast Guard. We could use it to fix some of our crumbling shore stations.

I am sorry that you had such a poor experience with Auxiliarists, and I have met many Auxiliarists who are what you have described above.  However, I have also met many who do not fit the above description and provide valuable support to the Coast Guard.

baloo0136

--
    22 Jun 2018 10:16 AM
    Our Vice Division Commander, who used to be my flotilla commander, said that they wanted to send more auxiliarists to help with Hurricane Harvey, but there were issues with communication and lack of organization. They plan to have quick response teams ready to go for future disasters. We all know that auxiliarists are not going to be out in the water rescuing people; they will mostly be taking over other Coast Guard duties so that the Coast Guard can send more manpower out into the field. 

I'm still waiting for AP status. The Coast Guard must be incredibly shorthanded if it takes them over a year to run fingerprints. 

For Harvey and Irma, they created a leadership cell at D8 HQ that was used to fill requirements that were sent over from the Area command.  It actually worked pretty once it got going.

Are you in AP status?  You do know that you can pretty much do anything in the Auxiliary other than Aviation with AP status?
    Still_Waiting

--
    22 Jun 2018 11:34 PM
    Posted By baloo0136 on 22 Jun 2018 10:16 AM

For Harvey and Irma, they created a leadership cell at D8 HQ that was used to fill requirements that were sent over from the Area command.  It actually worked pretty once it got going.

Are you in AP status?  You do know that you can pretty much do anything in the Auxiliary other than Aviation with AP status?

I am not in AP status; that's what I'm waiting for. My application, fingerprints, and birth certificate were sent almost a year ago, and that was a couple of months after I started attending meetings. I stopped going to meetings a couple of months ago because I can't do anything. I even had to use vacation time to go to meetings. It's been a total waste of time because I can't do anything. 

One person in my flotilla said that he waited 18 months for AP status. That is ridiculous. There are people who get security clearances faster than that.
    baloo0136

--
    24 Jun 2018 12:53 AM
    Uh.... You get AP status by simply submitting your paperwork and having it put into the system. It should take about a week. IQ/BQ status has been taking longer due to the backlog in clearances.

What flotilla/division/district?

Still_Waiting

--
    24 Jun 2018 03:47 AM
    We were told that we would be in AP status once we received a membership number. Among the people who turned in their paperwork around the same time as I did, we've only gotten confirmation that our stuff was received.

I'm in Flotilla 7-5, District 8CR.

The applicant is officially recognized as an Auxiliarist when the DIRAUX accepts the 
    enrollment application by filling out and signing section VIII of the Auxiliary enrollment form 
    (ANSC-7001). The submission of an application is no guarantee of acceptance. The applicant is 
    notified of acceptance or non-acceptance by memo from the DIRAUX. When accepted:
    - the new member is issued an Auxiliary member identification number;
    - the new member’s base enrollment date is established;
    - information is entered in (AUXDATA) where all Auxiliary activity information is 
    recorded;
    - the new member’s PSI package is forwarded to SECCEN for processing;
    - the new member is placed in AP membership status and will remain in that status 
    until SECCEN issues a final suitability-for-service determination;
    baloo0136

--
    26 Jun 2018 01:05 AM
    I just checked that flotilla.... you guys have AP, IQ, and BQ members that have been processed within the last year. I will private message you on this as it seems a bit odd.
    USCGJeep

--
    21 Aug 2018 09:03 AM
    I agree with the majority of this. I joined my flotilla last year at the age of 39, and until recently I was the youngest member there by far. I was excited when I joined - eager to learn and get involved. But over the past year and a half, I have become discouraged. I've been on patrol once and that was at a joint OPEX last year. I never know when my flotilla is going on patrol. That information is never communicated to us. If I happen to hear about it at a flotilla meeting - awesome. But more often than not, I learn about patrols after the fact. I have been trying to get my five VE training exams so I can become a vessel examiner and that still hasn't happened even though I passed the online exam months ago.

Flotilla meetings are boring and embarrassing when trying to recruit new members. I became a staff officer because I wanted to contribute and got assigned handling the boat show. I ended up working the majority of shifts with 4 other people volunteering to cover one or two shifts throughout the week. Oftentimes, our booth was entirely empty.

I would've thought we would do patrol or have an active presence on the lakes this July 4th, but our FC said that we were staying off the lakes that day because it was crazy out there. That makes no sense to me.

I don't know if it's just my flotilla or if this is widespread, but I do know that my enthusiasm has waned, and I honestly don't want to even be a part of this organization half the time anymore. Maybe if I lived in an area along a coast or major waterway and in an area with an active flotilla, I'd feel differently.
    srtmack

--
    31 Aug 2018 08:21 PM
    I am one of the younger members in my Flotilla as well. However, I am blessed to be in an awesome group. We are one of the smaller Flotillas but we have a lot of diversity in the interests of the members. I saw an opportunity to take a program that hadn't had a lot of interest in the past and start building it. It took some time to get the ball rolling with everything but the results have been great.

After speaking with friends, coworkers and other prospective members, i'm often asked the most about augmentation or ops. That seems to hold the highest interest with the people under 40 whom I speak with about the Auxiliary. Perhaps promoting some of the augmentation and patrol ops through division to newer members would be an enticement for many of them.

baloo0136

--
    06 Sep 2018 02:52 PM
    At 42, I see the Auxiliary differently than I did at 29. I was definitely into the augmentation as I worked nights, and I was able to spend 3-4 days a week working with the Marine Safety personnel at the Sector. Now that I work days, I can't get down there really to work, but I was able to finish my Trident during the summers. Now, I am more into the traditional missions of vessel examinations and program visits, and I also do some contingency planning as well.

Focusing on getting new members qualified and doing some thing that they want to do should be one of the primary goals of the flotilla.
    boscoast

--
    06 Sep 2018 09:00 PM
    I just turned 25, and just submitted an inquiry to join a flotilla near my home. I'm hoping to join the CG active duty in the next few years after working out some logistics in my personal life, so this seems like a good way to learn more about boating practices in the meantime.

I'd also say, on top of young people not knowing about the CG Auxiliary, a lot of people I know in my area have 2nd or 3rd jobs on top of their full time employment in order to pay their bills and crushing student loan debt - it makes it very hard to have any extra time for something like this at all.
    baloo0136

--
    06 Sep 2018 09:29 PM
    I totally agree with the extra jobs to pay the student loan debt and bills...   I teach all day, coach 2 sports, and then tutor on top of that. 

seatime

--
    18 Sep 2018 04:54 PM
    I suggest you ask your VFC to do a follow up on your status...I agree that your wait has been far too long. Do you have a membership number. This will give you access to MyAUX. After you get AP there is a lot of things you can do. Please see: http://hdept.cgaux.org/pdf/AP-FAQ.PDF Keep the faith shipmate. Semper Paratus
    Still_Waiting

--
    21 Sep 2018 12:49 PM
    I just received a membership number two weeks ago. Apparently, an administrative assistant kept losing the paperwork that was sent in. One applicant from our flotilla had his fingerprints lost four times. Fortunately, our new FC is on top of things and made sure our documents were received. I just had to redo everything. 

Another good thing about our new FC is that he's young (probably late 20s), and he's partnered with the Civil Air Patrol to get us trained for search and rescue missions. 
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    m1ashooter

--
    21 Sep 2018 09:39 PM
    I was interested in joining, I have 9 years of USAF Command and Control experience and interested in helping out in the aviation world. It was suggest to me to contact a chapter that does boating safety on a local lake. That would be in my opinion a complete waste of my time and experience. I never followed up on that suggestion.
    Still_Waiting

--
    22 Sep 2018 04:02 PM
    Posted By m1ashooter on 21 Sep 2018 09:39 PM
    I was interested in joining, I have 9 years of USAF Command and Control experience and interested in helping out in the aviation world. It was suggest to me to contact a chapter that does boating safety on a local lake. That would be in my opinion a complete waste of my time and experience. I never followed up on that suggestion.

Did you look into the Civil Air Patrol? The Air Force provides them with planes.
    RBSone83

--
    27 Sep 2018 03:03 PM
    I don’t think the auxiliary needs to be disbanded but I think it needs a restart and you brought up some very important comments and observations.

There are many contributing factors to why the auxiliary is failing and also why young people super enthusiastic at first, but then run as fast as they can to get away.   Here’s what I’ve noticed since been in the aux when I first started in 2006. 

1.  recruiters like to glorify the auxiliary like it is a first responder volunteer service. They show videos of on water patrols, helo ops, 25 now 27 RBS, air ops ect.  They also talk about being able to serve their country and taking pride in wearing the uniform.  Perspective recruit is invited to attend a monthly flotilla meeting.  The cringe begins! 

2.  New enthusiastic recruits are exposed to two hours of bickering and yacht club talk about who is going to have white party at who’s house and if somebody is excited to play around with a toy boat “Coastie” 

3.  Assuming the prospective member is younger they are introduced to elderly men and women who talk about the good old times and then move onto discussing how many times somebody has gone to West Marine to hand out stickers or how many safe boating classes somebody has done in the past year. 

4.  The prospective member is now confused because everything that they were told originally is not been mentioned.  Prospective member asks about when can they get started on training to serve on water?  They are met with they reply and a chuckle that is not what we do here.  We mainly make sure that people are informed before they get underway out on the water and we like to go to airshows and hand out whistles to the public,  prospective member is confused.

5.  Everything they’ve been told up until this point in time is not exactly correct and they feel that they have been missed lead.  Prospective member inquires about how they get started because they are thinking maybe they have to be in a while in order to get in good with the organization so they get fingerprinted usually a month later and then the long wait begins. 

6.  While the member is waiting for their background to come back which usually takes six months to a year maybe the member has been invited to go on a safety patrol Or two.  Since the member is still waiting for their background to come back usually it takes about six months to get their member number so during this time they are not allowed to buy a uniform or participate in activities that may excite the new member. 

7.  They start to see that there is a heavy dose of politics within the flotilla’s and members example would be that if you have one Coxswain  he will usually pick his buddies to go out on patrol and won’t take any other members.  I found this to be the case many times myself. 

8.  Six months has gone by and member finally gets there member number so they are able to purchase the tropical blue uniform at the members expense plus all of their gear including PFD, ODUs, float coats ect.  Member usually spends between $1000-$2000.  By this time the member is probably not as enthusiastic as he was when he was sitting down with the auxiliary recruiter so the want to participate is probably now at 65%.  Especially when most of the members time spent at meetings or eating barbecue. 

9.  If a new member is lucky enough to be in a flotilla within close proximity to a Coast Guard base or station then the member will probably at one time or another ask about how he can work side-by-side with the active duty if he or she has completed the qualifications and training.  The member is most of the time discouraged from these activities.  

10.  By this time the new member has probably completed the vessel examiners course probably earned a few ribbons and maybe went to a couple of awards ceremony where the same individuals get the same awards every year. 

11.  The member now understands that there is heavy politics involved in the auxiliary and knows that if you’re not in a favorite group then you will probably be an outcast.  This member by now it’s probably not that enthusiastic but realizes they have spent so much money and time and they don’t want it to be for nothing So they hang in there.  Some continue to only go to meetings once in a great while and some just pay their dues so that they remain on paper active. While some just become driftwood. 

I lost so many recruits to this type of treatment during my time as personnel services officer.  When I first joined I had to 47 foot vessel’s and I was crew on many other ships.  I would have joined the active duty but I hyperextended my knee is playing sports, MEPS was like ummm no lol. 

I can remember being out on the water one day in my Sportfisher and watching a auxiliary patrol boat go by so I ran to the Coast Guard recruiting station after I docked and asked about how I could join? At 25 years old  this seemed like an amazing idea and I was fed all of the hype that I stated at the top of the page.  I had law enforcement training/ EMT/SAR ect.  None of my specialties were utilized.  But I became very good at getting a hold of different bakery shops in ordering specialize cakes and I became very good at doing inventory on how many vessel safety check stickers we had and how many whistles we had to give out to the public. 

I still have faith that the auxiliary could be restored to its wants natural glory. 
     Physically fit, dialed in men and women willing to serve! 

But like you stated there is a huge liability for you guys and that needs to be taken into account.  I feel that there should be a minimum PT course taken with no exceptions!!! 

Also weight  and grooming standards need to be observed at all times if you can’t then being in a uniformed organization is probably not the place for you there are plenty of yacht clubs or power squadrons. 

The problem is that leader ship will not step down and make room for new and able blood.  I understand as an individual gets older they still want to be a part of something they don’t want to lose and identity that was so important to them for such a long time.  I would ask that they should not be kicked out or retired but maybe moved to a administration or social activity office. Because if you are 86 years old  and pulling around an oxygen tank then probably doing vessel inspections or patrols is not the place for you.  And like you said you become a liability. 

When my grandfather got to a certain age he expressed that he was no longer able to drive with the assurance of safety so he gave it up but he still did a lot of things around his house and other social activities but he said he didn’t want to put the public at risk.  He said I spent my younger years fighting the Nazis in World War II I’ve paid my dues I’ve had lots of fun and a good life I don’t need to prove myself any longer. 

The problem is not with the auxiliary it is the leadership itself and how things are done the auxiliary as a force multiplier volunteer component of the Coast Guard works well for what it is but it needs to be led by confident and able bodies. 

I have stated many times that I will no longer try to recruit young new members is all they will be able to do is pass out whistles and sit in a classroom for two hours listening to people bicker about a five dollar charge for donuts! 

I probably will get a lot of flack for this but I call it like I see it. 

The motto of the Coast Guard exhilarate is America is volunteer Lifesavers but yet like the poster above stated they go out of their way to really emphasize that they are not first responders! 

I almost feel like if there was a patrol underway and they witnessed somebody drowning in the water and if there was a 25-year-old auxiliary still on board who was maybe a water polo athlete he would be ordered not to jump in and save that individual,  not because the other is on board don’t think he could do it but because they are probably jealous at the fact that he could and they could not. 

The auxiliary was something that meant so much to me and I had so much love for it especially when I was able to work alongside the active duty because I always made sure that I never got in the way and I actually became good friends with a lot of the younger active duty men and women who were my age.  At the time I was 25 and now I’m 35.  Still young, still able, still patriotic but told to stand down and shut up. 

Something needs to change! 

Still_Waiting

--
    29 Sep 2018 11:36 AM
    Unless the height and weight and physical fitness standards are very loose, implementing them will likely lead to fewer recruits. Most police and fire departments don't even have height and weight standards. Almost all of them require a physical fitness test for applicants. Many of them are implementing annual physical fitness tests. Height and weight ratios aren't really indicative of physical fitness. There are many people who would be considered overweight by the military, but can run 1.5 miles in less than 15 minutes, which is good enough for most police departments. On the other hand, the Texas State Guard started enforcing its height and weight regulations about two years ago, but they have no physical fitness test. This means that they're recruiting a lot of slim-looking people who aren't actually physically fit. When I took law enforcement physical fitness tests, there were a lot of slim applicants who failed because they couldn't drag a 180 lb. dummy.

If someone can meet military height and weight and physical fitness standards and wants to be in a military organization, then they should just join as active duty, reserve, or the national guard. You can't expect too much out of volunteers who are not paid and are expected to spend hundreds of dollars on uniforms. Many auxiliarists probably wanted to join the military, but couldn't due to a medical disqualification. Those medical disqualifications could make it impossible for them to pass a military physical fitness test. My prediction is that, if the Auxiliary implemented height and weight and physical fitness standards, potential recruits would just become volunteer firefighters and reserve police officers. In my state, they actually get some valuable benefits such as free college courses at public colleges and universities. The Coast Guard Auxiliary gets nothing but small discounts at a small number of businesses.

Depending on the state, state defense forces offer so much more. California State Military reservists can have up to 100% of their tuition paid at public colleges and universities. Texas State Guard veterans receive veterans' preference for state jobs. Mississippi State Guard members qualify for free or low-cost law enforcement, EMT, and firefighter training. In many states, SDF members get paid whenever they are deployed. Coast Guard Auxiliary members receive nothing. My state won't even protect the jobs of auxiliarists or CAP members who are assisting during natural disasters, but Texas State Guard members do have their jobs protected. Employers in Texas are required to give Texas State Guard members leave for military service. 

In short, I don't think it's a good idea to ask so much of people who are expected to pay hundreds to thousands of dollars out of pocket when they will never receive wages or benefits. If people have to meet high physical standards, then they will be much better off becoming reserve police officers or deputies, volunteer firefighters, or members of a state defense force.
    rrle

--
    01 Oct 2018 08:37 AM
    I almost feel like if there was a patrol underway and they witnessed somebody drowning in the water and if there was a 25-year-old auxiliary still on board who was maybe a water polo athlete he would be ordered not to jump in and save that individual, not because the other is on board don’t think he could do it but because they are probably jealous at the fact that he could and they could not.

It has nothing to do with jealousy. Auxiliarists, under orders, are specifically prohibited from entering the water for any reason. Should an Auxie violate that rule and enter the water, they automatically revert to civilian status and fall outside the USCG liability umbrella. They might also jeopardize the liability umbrella of the boat they were serving on. There is a reason that Aux boats are supposed to have spare life jackets and boats hooks on them.

OpsPolMan 4.E.19. Entering the Water

Auxiliarists on an Auxiliary facility that is under orders shall not enter the water during any operations. This restriction also applies to PWC coxswains, except when necessary to mount or dismount to allow normal operation, remount if involuntary ejected, or while performing PWC coxswain qualification task “dismount/remount/re-right in deep water” under the supervision of a mentor in accordance with Auxiliary Boat Crew Qualification Guide, Volume III, COMDTINST M16794.54 (series).

The next section also prohibits operation in the surf zone. That was put in many moons ago when an Aux boat went into the surf zone on a rescue, overturned and several Auxies died after being trapped in the overturned boat.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement