Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Young people
Last Post 24 Jun 2018 02:47 AM by Still_Waiting. 11 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
chuck001

--
10 May 2018 07:29 AM
    I saw a pie chart showing the current age distribution throughout the CG Aux and it's not good.  I'm coming from the angle of the younger generation not stepping up to the plate.  I really admire the older men and women who put their heart and soul in this organization and it saddens me that young folks don't seem to care.  I'm not saying ALL young people but you have to admit, the drive is not there with this generation coming up.  I think I am the youngest member of my Flotilla, being 37 yo, and I'm not sure if there is anyone under 50 or so in the surrounding Flotillas.  It's not just the Aux, but it seems to be a problem everywhere.

On the flip side of my rant, lol, young folks are not completely to blame for not showing much interest.  Older members will recruit some younger people and then treat them like they are 5 yo.  I see this everywhere especially in the Moose Lodge.  It's like they want the dues and participation from young members but try to control everything since "it's always been this way or that way".

Do you experience this as well?  Any remedies?

Do you believe maybe its time to organize and propose some sort of compensation or would that be compromising the integrity of selfless service?
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    VicNaz1

--
    16 May 2018 06:38 AM
    Hi there Chuck,
    You are completely correct. The Aux. is getting older. At 53 and a member since age 41, I am one of the younger ones in my AuxAir unit. The Aux. has seen declining membership in general over the last 20 - 30 years for many reasons but one of the most stark reasons is that the incoming personnel have often been of an older generation that seems more focused on contributing to solutions. One of my members who just retired from the Aux. was an enlisted in the Army during the 50s, used his GI bill to get his degree. Went into the Air Force as an officer, retired as a Major and then ended up joining the Coast Guard Aux. and gave our nation another decade and a half of service, unpaid. It's hard to find that kind of drive and commitment in the general public these days, especiallly among younger people who often seem focused on getting something for free rather than giving something for free.

For recruiting purposes, look for the kind of people you know already seem to be focused on contributing. You won't necessarily find many folks with 3 sets of uniforms in his closet like my recently retired Aux. member but look for the young men and woman who mentor at school, donate at church, participate in neighborhood clean-up activities. Some of these folks might want to become part of a dedicated, official, make-the-world-better organization like the Coast Guard and if active duty isn't their thing, maybe the Auxiliary is. I usually frame it like being a volunteer fireman. Contribute and save lives. Maybe that will help with out age issue. We need more young superheroes.
    Still_Waiting

--
    11 Jun 2018 06:03 AM
    I'm a Millennial in my 30s, so I could probably guess the many reasons why younger people don't want to join the Coast Guard Auxiliary. The most obvious reason is that hardly anyone knows about it.

Young people do want to volunteer, but they want to feel like they're actually doing something. You have young people volunteering to work with the poor and other disadvantaged people. Doing vessel safety checks and providing boater safety education just isn't as appealing to them.

I've seen young people come to meetings with interest in the Auxiliary and never come back. The meetings, alone, are enough to turn young people off. And, once they see that most of the members are old enough to be their grandparents, they don't feel like they'll fit in.

For those under 18, the Civil Air Patrol, Young Marines, and Sea Cadets provide many more opportunities. Once these kids graduate high school, many will join the military.

For the public safety types (which includes me), they're going to join EMS, police, and fire departments. That IS their way of contributing to society.

I've been waiting a year just to get AP status in the Coast Guard Auxiliary, and my Civil Air Patrol squadron for adults does nothing. While I'm still young and physically capable, I can do so much more. Therefore, I plan to join a volunteer fire department.

If a young person lives in a state with an active State Defense Force, I highly recommend that. The Texas State Guard deployed thousands during Hurricane Harvey whereas the Auxiliary only deployed about 100 people. The Civil Air Patrol took damage assessment pictures and transported government personnel. 
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    15 Jun 2018 02:23 PM
    I am not a millennial, far from it actually. I can tell you why my volunteering is cut to a minimum when at all... I don't feel appreciated. I volunteered for more things in 4 years when I lived in Valdez than most people will in a lifetime, save a few like those mentioned here. I did strong, meaningful work in a small town that appreciated anyone and everyone that stepped up to help. Here, I've looked to volunteer, I have so much more life experience now, and I get told go sit in a corner and stuff envelopes. I get told to sweep the floors of the office (I really did get told that by one organization). I also got told without a degree I don't qualify to volunteer. A DEGREE! To VOLUNTEER! I'm sorry, if I had a degree, I would be interviewing the volunteers, not being a volunteer. I was also told if I speak only English, don't even bother.

I was the Vice President of the local Food Bank. I did all the shopping, I helped with United Way paperwork. I handed out all the food when we were open. I did all the holiday baskets, buying, creating, delivering... In one instance for a family living on a sailboat in the harbor, all the cooking!

I was a large contributor to the yearly Salmon Derby. Between Jim & I we arranged all the gifts to be distributed for a 30 day derby.

I was with the local Health Fair. One of the more rewarding things I did, was a crisis counselor with the local women's shelter. I handled the crisis line when it was my turn, i did intake at the shelter, I went to the hospital with victims, I went to court with victims. I went with the local police department to serve restraining orders. Here? Here I get told well, if you want to come in on a Tuesday afternoon, we can use help getting stuff to the post office. Well I work, so weekday afternoon stuff is a little impossible. Plus that's not getting my hands dirty. That's for someone that wants to say "Oh I volunteer" but keeps their emotions and body out of the trenches.

To volunteer, you want to feel you make a difference. If all you are tasked to do is meaningless grunt work and feel you're not contributing, why would you stay? I can't do auxiliary because I don't have the money for uniforms and all of that. But again, if the older set makes the younger set feel like "this is how we've always done it, you sit over there and look pretty" what would entice the younger set to contribute? Sometimes it is looking to the organization to get new people... Not the new people looking to the organization to join.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    eirikr1

--
    19 Jun 2018 08:55 PM
    Posted By Still_Waiting on 11 Jun 2018 07:03 AM

>Young people do want to volunteer, but they want to feel like they're actually doing something. 

>I've been waiting a year just to get AP status in the Coast Guard Auxiliary, and my Civil Air Patrol squadron for adults does nothing. While I'm still young and physically capable, I can do so much more. Therefore, I plan to join a volunteer fire department.

This is something the aux, as an organization, does a really bad job of. Potential New members are a rare resource, and we act like they grow on trees, and need to prove themselves to us. New members are never as enthusiastic, committed, and high energy as they are in the first 90 days. We give them a book and do the most we can to bore them to tears and calm down. And then throw training for jobs they can't do, and overtraining for jobs they can. 

> The Texas State Guard deployed thousands during Hurricane Harvey whereas the Auxiliary only deployed about 100 people. The Civil Air Patrol took damage assessment pictures and transported government personnel. 

Whereas the auxiliary goes out of it's way to announce that we are not a first responder agency. 

USCG Boat Driver

--
    19 Jun 2018 10:19 PM
    It's time to disband the Auxiliary, as it has become a burden and liability for the Coast Guard. Most Auxiliarists are too old to be on boats out in the elements, they aren't medically screened before they start getting on boats, and fail to report medical issues like they are supposed to. This is a huge liability for the CG, as evidenced by the Aux boat crash in Florida a few years ago.

Auxiliarists also have problems following policies and procedures, often teach the wrong thing to boaters during their boating safety classes, or when conducting vessel safety checks, and frequently embarrass the CG. Most Auxiliarists balk at the standards for maintaining their PPE, and fail to do so.

Times of changed, young people don't care to be involved with the Auxiliary and the silly games/politics associated with it. It's time to let the Auxiliary go, and reprogram the funding used to support the Aux into the real Coast Guard. We could use it to fix some of our crumbling shore stations.
    Still_Waiting

--
    21 Jun 2018 04:00 PM
    Posted By eirikr1 on 19 Jun 2018 09:55 PM 
    Whereas the auxiliary goes out of it's way to announce that we are not a first responder agency. 

This is what it says on their website. 

The Auxiliary operates in
    • Safety and Security Patrols
    • Search and Rescue
    • Mass Casualty or Disasters
    • Pollution Response & Patrols
    • Homeland Security
    • Recreational Boating Safety
    • Commercial Fishing and Vessel Exams
    • Platforms for Boarding Parties
    • Recruit for all service in the Coast Guard

In addition to the above, the U.S. Coast Guard Auxiliary operates in any mission as directed by the Commandant of the U.S. Coast Guard or Secretary of Homeland Security.

Our Mission

• To promote and improve Recreational Boating Safety
    • To provide trained crews and facilities to augment the Coast Guard and enhance safety and security of our ports, waterways, and coastal regions
    • To support Coast Guard operational, administrative, and logistical Requirements
    Our Vice Division Commander, who used to be my flotilla commander, said that they wanted to send more auxiliarists to help with Hurricane Harvey, but there were issues with communication and lack of organization. They plan to have quick response teams ready to go for future disasters. We all know that auxiliarists are not going to be out in the water rescuing people; they will mostly be taking over other Coast Guard duties so that the Coast Guard can send more manpower out into the field. 

I'm still waiting for AP status. The Coast Guard must be incredibly shorthanded if it takes them over a year to run fingerprints. 
    baloo0136

--
    22 Jun 2018 08:55 AM
    Posted By USCG Boat Driver on 19 Jun 2018 11:19 PM
    It's time to disband the Auxiliary, as it has become a burden and liability for the Coast Guard. Most Auxiliarists are too old to be on boats out in the elements, they aren't medically screened before they start getting on boats, and fail to report medical issues like they are supposed to. This is a huge liability for the CG, as evidenced by the Aux boat crash in Florida a few years ago.

Auxiliarists also have problems following policies and procedures, often teach the wrong thing to boaters during their boating safety classes, or when conducting vessel safety checks, and frequently embarrass the CG. Most Auxiliarists balk at the standards for maintaining their PPE, and fail to do so.

Times of changed, young people don't care to be involved with the Auxiliary and the silly games/politics associated with it. It's time to let the Auxiliary go, and reprogram the funding used to support the Aux into the real Coast Guard. We could use it to fix some of our crumbling shore stations.

I am sorry that you had such a poor experience with Auxiliarists, and I have met many Auxiliarists who are what you have described above.  However, I have also met many who do not fit the above description and provide valuable support to the Coast Guard.

baloo0136

--
    22 Jun 2018 09:16 AM
    Our Vice Division Commander, who used to be my flotilla commander, said that they wanted to send more auxiliarists to help with Hurricane Harvey, but there were issues with communication and lack of organization. They plan to have quick response teams ready to go for future disasters. We all know that auxiliarists are not going to be out in the water rescuing people; they will mostly be taking over other Coast Guard duties so that the Coast Guard can send more manpower out into the field. 

I'm still waiting for AP status. The Coast Guard must be incredibly shorthanded if it takes them over a year to run fingerprints. 

For Harvey and Irma, they created a leadership cell at D8 HQ that was used to fill requirements that were sent over from the Area command.  It actually worked pretty once it got going.

Are you in AP status?  You do know that you can pretty much do anything in the Auxiliary other than Aviation with AP status?
    Still_Waiting

--
    22 Jun 2018 10:34 PM
    Posted By baloo0136 on 22 Jun 2018 10:16 AM

For Harvey and Irma, they created a leadership cell at D8 HQ that was used to fill requirements that were sent over from the Area command.  It actually worked pretty once it got going.

Are you in AP status?  You do know that you can pretty much do anything in the Auxiliary other than Aviation with AP status?

I am not in AP status; that's what I'm waiting for. My application, fingerprints, and birth certificate were sent almost a year ago, and that was a couple of months after I started attending meetings. I stopped going to meetings a couple of months ago because I can't do anything. I even had to use vacation time to go to meetings. It's been a total waste of time because I can't do anything. 

One person in my flotilla said that he waited 18 months for AP status. That is ridiculous. There are people who get security clearances faster than that.
    baloo0136

--
    23 Jun 2018 11:53 PM
    Uh.... You get AP status by simply submitting your paperwork and having it put into the system. It should take about a week. IQ/BQ status has been taking longer due to the backlog in clearances.

What flotilla/division/district?

Still_Waiting

--
    24 Jun 2018 02:47 AM
    We were told that we would be in AP status once we received a membership number. Among the people who turned in their paperwork around the same time as I did, we've only gotten confirmation that our stuff was received.

I'm in Flotilla 7-5, District 8CR.

The applicant is officially recognized as an Auxiliarist when the DIRAUX accepts the 
    enrollment application by filling out and signing section VIII of the Auxiliary enrollment form 
    (ANSC-7001). The submission of an application is no guarantee of acceptance. The applicant is 
    notified of acceptance or non-acceptance by memo from the DIRAUX. When accepted:
    - the new member is issued an Auxiliary member identification number;
    - the new member’s base enrollment date is established;
    - information is entered in (AUXDATA) where all Auxiliary activity information is 
    recorded;
    - the new member’s PSI package is forwarded to SECCEN for processing;
    - the new member is placed in AP membership status and will remain in that status 
    until SECCEN issues a final suitability-for-service determination;
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement