Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Young people
Last Post 15 Sep 2019 07:40 PM by Still_Waiting. 34 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 2 of 2 << < 12
Author Messages
rrle

--
16 Jul 2019 07:20 PM
There have been Auxiliarists who've entered water and came out the other side with an MOM - I recall seeing a whole video on one at AUXLAM.
I believe I saw the same video at an Annual Ops Workshop. The video was very old and the instructor could not explain how the actions depicted met the requirement to never enter the water. Also remember an quote I heard from a Coastie - "The line between being a hero or a goat is a very fine one." You might, just might get away with something if you are successful - fail and the world will come down on your head - assuming you survive your transgression.
MarkP

--
18 Aug 2019 04:42 PM
I'm simply astonished at the comments here. If your flotilla isn't operating up to snuff, fix it. It's your flotilla, it's not anyone else's responsibility.

The age issue isn't an AUX problem. It is affecting everyone from Amateur Radio to the Masons, I don't understand it, I've been working as a volunteer in some capacity since joining the police cadets at 16, and my kids have the same kind of spirit.

Our relationship with the station is amazing. They are always happy to see an AUX arrive, whether we're there to take watchstanding, AUXFS, gate guard, or work with the MSD group. Our 45-50 active members make a perceptible and appreciated difference in the operation of the station.

If your flotilla doesn't, it's likely a problem you can fix.
srtmack

--
11 Sep 2019 09:20 AM
I agree that the age issue is affecting everyone. We've seen volunteer fire departments in my state dwindle with the lack of volunteers. The pool of persons who have that sense of service is getting smaller and smaller.

We are also competing with other organizations for these volunteers. What do we have to offer versus CAP, Volunteer Fire, local Search and Rescue...

The recent recruitment videos have created some interest. Can we capitalize on that?

We need to all be part of the recruiting process. When a prospective member comes to a flotilla meeting we need to wear our uniforms correctly, we need to put a good attitude forward, we need to be a good face for the Auxiliary.
Moderator / Trusted Member
Forum Supreme!
Forum Supreme!
Old Guard2

--
11 Sep 2019 12:08 PM
Srtmack I think another part of volunteer fire departments is no one works where they live. My father was a volunteer fire fighter and first aider. It was because he worked close enough that when the alarms went off, he could make a call. Now even if I had the ability to volunteer, I live in Easton, Pennsylvania. I work in Bridgewater, New Jersey. If they waited for me to respond from work to home, it is over 35 miles one direction. The house would burn, the patient would die. I leave my house before 630 in the morning and some nights I don't get home until after 7. Life isn't what it was when my dad volunteered in the 1960's. I'm old and my life is slow in comparison to the activity level of young people today. I know there are some that are just selfish and won't volunteer. But a lot more, I truly I think, just comes down to people pulled in so many directions, so much distance, they just can't take on another commitment to something. It is just the world we live in.
Sector NY, Staten Island
Still_Waiting

--
15 Sep 2019 07:40 PM
Posted By srtmack on 11 Sep 2019 10:20 AM
I agree that the age issue is affecting everyone. We've seen volunteer fire departments in my state dwindle with the lack of volunteers. The pool of persons who have that sense of service is getting smaller and smaller.

We are also competing with other organizations for these volunteers. What do we have to offer versus CAP, Volunteer Fire, local Search and Rescue...

The recent recruitment videos have created some interest. Can we capitalize on that?

We need to all be part of the recruiting process. When a prospective member comes to a flotilla meeting we need to wear our uniforms correctly, we need to put a good attitude forward, we need to be a good face for the Auxiliary.

I tried joining a volunteer fire department and gave up. There is the issue someone else mentioned --- location. Volunteer fire departments are typically in unincorporated areas out in the suburbs and rural areas. Even if you're willing to make the drive, some departments require you to either live in the service area or within one mile outside of it. There are some departments that require an EMT certification; I came across departments that required volunteers to go through a full-time fire academy. I applied to a department that said it was offering a stipend to certain volunteers to attract more people. At the same time, they had a competitive selection process. I wasn't selected because I neither had EMT nor firefighting experience. They didn't care that I had law enforcement and public safety dispatching experience. I wasted time and money getting a physical, driving down there to drop off the application, and driving there again for an interview. Some of these departments are asking too much for volunteer positions.
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 2 of 2 << < 12

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement