Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Guaranteed district, non rate life, marine science technician
Last Post 07 Jun 2018 06:14 PM by CPORJM. 3 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages Not Resolved
ng04

--
05 Jun 2018 07:40 PM
    Hello,
    I’m interested in joining the CG. I am wondering how one can get guaranteed district in their contract. How does it work throughout your 4 year active duty enlistment with the guaranteed district? My next question is what is the working life like as a non rate.  I am also interested in the rate marine science technician. As it appears on my asvab score I miss the qualification for that rate by two points. Is there anything I can do to secure a possible spot as a marine science technician?

Any and all input is greatly appreciated
    Thank you 
    cgrable

--
    07 Jun 2018 02:55 PM
    A non rate is pretty much the go to for everything. You will be cleaning, painting, working in the galley, standing watch on certain nights, etc. You're the bottom of the food chain pretty much but doing this all while getting your quals done. As for your asvab score...you are allowed to retake the asvab after boot. I'm not sure if you have to do the whole thing over or just the part you need to get higher for that job. This is something you should ask your recruiter when you come to that stage. I don't think there is a way to secure a job spot. You just basically tell who ever is in charge at your first unit that's the job you want when you get done and pass all your quals then your name goes on the list. Some jobs you have to wait months if there is a wait for it. For instance, I believe ME has quite a long wait for that job. Hope this helps a bit if I am wrong on anything or not 100% accurate someone else will comment with more detailed information.

Good luck with joining. I leave for basic July 10th.
    Trusted Member
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    mkelly

--
    07 Jun 2018 05:28 PM
    I would recommend not getting a guaranteed district. Go out and experience what the US has to offer.
    If you have a guaranteed district, it is not for your 4 year enlistment. It is until you go to "A" school. After "A" school you will be sent wherever there are open billets for your job. As for the ASVAB, you can apply for a waiver up to 5 points or you can retake the ASVAB. If you score lower though, that is your new score. The Commanding officer has to approve the waiver for the 5 points and it is not always guaranteed. If you retake the ASVAB and score higher, or get the 5 point waiver, you can put your name on the MST school list and wait your turn to go to school. You can go to any school you qualify for, its just the wait times that differ.
    Resserve Chief/Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    CPORJM

--
    07 Jun 2018 06:14 PM
    Posted By cgrable on 07 Jun 2018 03:55 PM
    A non rate is pretty much the go to for everything. You will be cleaning, painting, working in the galley, standing watch on certain nights, etc. You're the bottom of the food chain pretty much but doing this all while getting your quals done. As for your asvab score...you are allowed to retake the asvab after boot. I'm not sure if you have to do the whole thing over or just the part you need to get higher for that job. This is something you should ask your recruiter when you come to that stage. I don't think there is a way to secure a job spot. You just basically tell who ever is in charge at your first unit that's the job you want when you get done and pass all your quals then your name goes on the list. Some jobs you have to wait months if there is a wait for it. For instance, I believe ME has quite a long wait for that job. Hope this helps a bit if I am wrong on anything or not 100% accurate someone else will comment with more detailed information.

Good luck with joining. I leave for basic July 10th.

ME A school was just closed in late April, due to the rating being full.  I believe a 3 + year wait is being forecast
    "When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."-Jonathan Swift
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement