Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Need help ASAP!
Last Post 19 Jun 2018 02:30 PM by CPORJM. 12 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Daniel1120

--
11 Jun 2018 03:22 PM
    so I reported to my cutter today as a fresh non rate out of boot camp. My ship is currently dry docked and getting worked on in a shipyard. My sponsor pretty much gave me a packet of paper that’s I guess my “Indoc package” to my cutter and left me to complete it on my own. I have a week to do it and I honestly have no clue what I’m doing. Please help! Boot camp didn’t prepare me for anything in the fleet and I feel completely on my own here without any help at all and I feel extremely overwhelmed and can’t handle all this.
    Trusted Member
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    mkelly

--
    11 Jun 2018 03:29 PM
    First off, slow down. It sounds like you're panicking over some paper work. Your sponsor is there to help you. If there is something you do not understand, it is their job to explain it to you. Ask your sponsor. You should have your sponsor's phone number. Your sponsor should have sat there and explained it to you but nobody is perfect. Right now you are the new guy, ask all the questions you have. At some point, you will be a sponsor for somebody and they will need you to do the same thing. When that time comes, remember your experience and help your new guy out
    But ask your sponsor questions. They are there to help you
    Daniel1120

--
    11 Jun 2018 03:41 PM
    My sponsor literally left work and the ship after about 3 hours of me reporting. He said he’s leaving for the day and if I have any questions to ask people we’ll i don’t even know how I can ask a question about the stuff I’m filling out. Like it has a ton of things such as “discuss the importance of taking a sea shower and water conservation” but like I have no info packet about it so am I supposed to just ask people these questions or what? Like my sponsor didn’t explain anything to me.
    Trusted Member
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    mkelly

--
    11 Jun 2018 06:27 PM
    Yes. You are supposed to ask people these things. I haven't been on a boat but it sounds like this packet is designed to help you learn about life on the boat. Do you have your sponsors phone number? You can call you sponsor and ask the exact same questions you are asking us. If you do not have the number of your sponsor, you should get it. Also I would recommend going to the quarterdeck and asking whoever is standing watch there some of the questions or ask them how they went about completing the packet. It won't be long until you are standing watch at the quarterdeck.
    If you do not know how to ask a question to a co-worker, now is the perfect time to learn. If you do not know how to speak with somebody you work with in the Coast Guard, then boot camp failed you. Go up to anybody and ask the a question. Anybody.
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    m1ashooter

--
    12 Jun 2018 10:26 AM
    Now is the time to step out and approach everyone you see and introduce yourself. Your shipmates will help if you ask them. They are waiting to see what the new person is going to do.
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    Bells

--
    13 Jun 2018 07:53 AM
    Its pretty normal that your sponsor left work. Like others have said reach out to other nonrates on the cutter for help, or the duty section to walk you around and get familiarized. They'll be back tomorrow.
    Take what you like and leave the rest behind.
    jdhusker

--
    13 Jun 2018 06:53 PM
    I sit down with a lot of the newly reported people on my cutter and go through their indoc packet with them, its no big deal. All you have to do is ask. No one is going to spoon feed you anything, it is completely up to you to get the information you need to get qualified. Ask people to sit down with you and help you.
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    15 Jun 2018 12:38 PM
    There are none so blind as those who will not see. Search out shipmates, they are there to help. Even if it feels like you are alone, you are not. They will not come to you and say what help do you need, you need to ask them. Best of luck... don't panic. You've got this!
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Daniel1120

--
    16 Jun 2018 07:09 PM
    So I’ve pretty much finished the cutters indoc packet except there are some signatures I need to get but the people I neddd then from continually have dodged me from having to sit down and talk to me about stuff. I’m starting my DC quals now and I honestly have no clue what I’m doing. I don’t even know how I’m supposed to do these? I’ve asked people how/what I’m supposed to do and still don’t understand it a bit. I don’t know what to do. I can’t handle any of this, I’m completely overwhelmed. Now I’m scared because I have 3 months to get each half done (6 months total for both) and I don’t think I can do it because I’m confused and don’t even know what I am/supposed to be doing. Im gonna get punished and treated extremely badly all because I have no clue what the heck is even going on. Boot camp has not prepared me for any of this, all I learned there was how to hold things over my head. I used to be positive and confident but now I’m overwhelmed with anxiety and have absolutely no confidence. Guys I feel like I’m gonna be discharged for being a completely useless non-rate. What do I do?
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    m1ashooter

--
    16 Jun 2018 10:43 PM
    Use you change of command. You work for someone go to them. If they can't help you go to the next person in the chain.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    sevenup87

--
    17 Jun 2018 12:47 PM
    Daniel1120. There are guides for all of your quals. These guides not only have your sign offs, but the reading that tell you everything you need to know to get the sign off. they're very detailed.

I'm going to walk you to it as best as I can remember.

1.) Go to CGPORTAL.
    2.) In the Search bar type in "Office of Cutter forces (CG-751)" .
    3.) click on the link for Office of Cutter forces (cg-751)
    4.)find the link labeled WQS. (WQS should be the packet they gave you.)
    5.)Then find YOUR cutter class listed and click that link.
    6.)You should then see links for operations and engineering. These links will have everything you need to get all your sign offs (Inport ood, lookout, qmow, eow, and so on.)

7.) you should see DC in that same area as well. DC is the same across all cutters so utilize your specific qual packet to study the specific information required in the DC WQS Packet.

Having those resources should make your life significantly easier as you progress through the process. And like everyone has mentioned above, take a breath, reach out to your shipmates, and enjoy the learning process!
    jdhusker

--
    17 Jun 2018 04:58 PM
    The indoc packet is mostly just for your own benefit to get acquainted with the ship and the important go-to people on board. No one even looked at my indoc packet to see if it was done. I was also clueless when I got to the cutter, I am a fireman and I had no understanding of anything engineering related. The quals took me a long time to get, slightly longer than the allowed amount of time. As long as you are putting forth effort to earn your quals and are asking for help you shouldnt get in trouble for going over the time limit. If you are still struggling after the time limit you may be put on a port and starboard duty rotation meaning you have to be on board for duty every other day, this is just to help you focus on learning for your quals. None of the quals are as hard as they seem, they are just brand new to you. It will all become familiar soon enough. I promise there is absolutely no reason to stress about this. Just ask for help thats all you need to do, talk to your chain of command, explain your situation and they will help you.

In regards to boot camp, the purpose of it is not to teach you lots of skills for the fleet, it is to teach you disipline, teamwork, how to follow orders and stress management.  You learn the necessary skills for the fleet at your first unit, you learn job skills at A-School and C-Schools.  You will eventually notice subtle similarities at your unit from things you learned in boot camp though.  Standing watch in boot camp is the same as it is on your cutter, you fill out a log and you do security rounds.  Waking people up for watch in boot camp and your unit is the same.  Always carry 2 pens with you just like in boot camp.  Shave every day, iron your uniform, salute officers.  You learned lots of required knowledge for bootcamp and now you have to do the same at your unit.   
    Resserve Chief/Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    CPORJM

--
    19 Jun 2018 02:30 PM
    I was looking through some of your earlier posts and I saw someone who was focused on asking questions and gathering as much information as possible. What happened to that person? I get that you're in new and unfamiliar surroundings, out of the structured environment of boot camp, but why should that change things? I find it very difficult to believe that your shipmates are dodging you to avoid helping you get your quals signed off. In my 17 years in the CG, I've seen more people go out of their way to help the new guy than to avoid them. Remember these folks have duties they need to complete as well. It may be that you're approaching them at a bad time. Have you tried scheduling a meeting with them to get the sign offs done? "DC2, I see you're busy now, but could we sit down later today and go over my DC quals?"
    "When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."-Jonathan Swift
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement