Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
being sent home 1 week before graduation???
Last Post 22 Aug 2018 03:23 PM by stealthtt24. 6 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
mikestl

--
15 Jun 2018 09:21 AM
    My son was going to graduate 06/22. Just received a vm this morning he went in front of a review board and he is not going to graduate they are sending him home. One week before graduating! We have over $1000 non refundable money we spent looking forward to traveling there and seeing him graduate. What on earth could he possibly have done to be sent home? We just talked to him last week, had use of cel phone for a few hours, and he was happy and excited. I'm just stunned they would do that this late.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    sevenup87

--
    15 Jun 2018 11:14 AM
    Unfortunately being sent home from basic training is not an uncommon story. I remember when I went through basic training Company Commanders told us about people who had been pulled from the program the morning of graduation. There are a myriad of reasons why that can happen. Some of the ones I've heard about include debt, undisclosed legal matters, medical conditions, weight, and I'm sure the official list goes on. 

I know the CG doesn't make these decisions lightly either. They are big on getting a return on their investments. And flying someone out for 7 weeks of training is a big investment.

Best of luck to you and your son. 
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    15 Jun 2018 11:27 AM
    Please, please, PLEASE do not focus on what you have lost with him being sent home. Focus on supporting him for what HE has lost, no matter what the reason. Money is money and you'll make more. This comes from someone that once lived in a car... I pulled myself up by my boot straps and got past it. The emotions of him failing, the emotions of him thinking he let you down, the emotions of well what do I do next are far more important than the money you invested in travel. I'm not making light of it, I would be crazy too, that's a lot of money. BUT... his well being needs to be paramount.

I am sorry this has happened, as sevenup points out, the reasons are MANY that this has happened. Also correct in stating that the CG, or any branch of the military, doesn't just suddenly say "Oh the kid with brown eyes, send him home today!" There is time, money, training, education already invested in this person, to just arbitrarily pick someone and say we're done with you, just doesn't happen. Again, my apologies and hopefully whatever happened will make sense when he is able to talk more to you. Possibly even making it possible for him to return at a later date, should he desire. Best of luck, stay strong and just protect him with love. Even if it was a total screw up on his part, we were all young and we all make mistakes, we also all recover if treated properly. Much respect...
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    mikestl

--
    15 Jun 2018 12:06 PM
    Thank you for your replies. He has no financial issues or legal issues. He had bruised his knee and had a couple weeks on light duty but that was a couple weeks past and had an MRI which showed no internal damage. The only thing I can think of is he made a big lapse in judgement and did something the CG considered serious and is letting him go. He has been a great kid his whole life, not the most intense, very laid back but a good kid, never getting into trouble etc. He had his mistakes and lacks of judgment a couple times like many others. He was a much better kid than I was when I was his age. Really thought he would have made a good coastguardsman like I was. I left a vm with his regimental commander, hope he calls me back and enlightens me on what happened. I am just heartbroken, has my stomach in knots. Appreciate the advice on loving him because this is going to be a tough one to swallow if its all his fault.
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    15 Jun 2018 12:28 PM
    It could relate back to the knee. He very well may have reinjured it and at this point he needs rehabilitation time. That means when he heals, likely he can return again to try. Until he is with you, don't try to speculate. Like I said, just encourage and hug when needed.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Jason Bach

--
    16 Aug 2018 05:53 PM
    So sorry to hear.  Maybe he failed his final twice.  Thats possible.  It is in week 7.  My son is with him in DHE.  He failed his pt test 3 times for situps and got reverted 3xs.  Hes devistated.  I know one thing ill keep reminding my son when he gets home, is that everyday now is a job interview, so act like your in the CG whilee hes waiting his 6 months to go back. If you want to IM me on Facebook, feel free.  You can find me by my name here.  Prayers for your son.
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    stealthtt24

--
    22 Aug 2018 03:23 PM
    He must have done something egregious if he didn't fail an exam or test. I saw very few people sent home toward week 7. Even if it was medical they try and hold you out for the next company or two. The thought process is if they are a decent recruit and just need a couple weeks, and after putting all the time and money into them, they will do it. But they won't let just anyone through. So must have been a serious enough reason.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement