Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Saying goodbye
Last Post 05 Jul 2018 02:39 PM by coastie65. 9 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
coastiemom2018

--
22 Jun 2018 07:58 PM
    I am new to this forum although I have been looking at it periodically for a few years. My son has been on delayed entry for a year and just graduated high school last week. He spent 4 years in NJROTC and was the CO this year. The USCG has been a dream of his for at least 4 years. My husband and I will be watching him pull away from MEPS on Tuesday so he can start his new journey in life. This is such a bitter sweet time. I have not even been able to suck in graduation yet I am so proud of him! Good luck to all the new recruits that may be starting with him on Tuesday. Stay strong and remember that it’s only 8 weeks that will make your future worth it!
    I am so lucky to have something so special that makes it so hard to say goodbye.
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    m1ashooter

--
    23 Jun 2018 06:45 AM
    Welcome to the roller coaster boot camp experience. Are you a member his companies facebook page? If not I highly recommend you join it.
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    23 Jun 2018 03:58 PM
    There is also a CG Moms group on Facebook. You will never find a more supportive and loving bunch of ladies. Congratulations.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    TombRaider330

--
    24 Jun 2018 11:55 AM
    How to find out the company name for Facebook before arriving at basic pls? I’d like to share with families & friends if possible..
    wzwmama

--
    24 Jun 2018 03:22 PM
    Coastiemom2018, I am with you!! My son is leaving on July 10. He is a 2018 high school graduate as well. I am dreading the send off, but part of me wants it to hurry up and come so that the eight weeks can start! Add to it some out of nowhere inconsiderate behavior....please let this be over! Have any other parents had a hard time with the soon to be recruit? I am looking forward to the proud graduation moment and perhaps a new found appreciation of his easy life at home!!
    Moderator / Trusted Member
    Forum Supreme!
    Forum Supreme!
    Old Guard2

--
    25 Jun 2018 08:22 AM
    Wzwmama, we all deal with that goodbye struggle. It isn't easy. Although with the sudden inconsiderate attitudes, it might make it a bit easier. I think that might be a coping mechanism for your soon to be Coastie. Remember goodbye's aren't hard only on us Moms. This is a lot of change, a lot of stress, a lot of uncertainty in his world. So the easiest way to handle stress, lash out at those we know have to love us. He doesn't mean it and even though you want to kick him in the tail feathers, be gentle and when he leaves for Cape May, write, write, write! He will greatly appreciate it even if his responses are few and far between.

When he ships out, the days are going to drag by but the weeks will fly. Before you know you'll be heading to Cape May and will be amazed at the man you will get in return for sending a boy to NJ.
    Sector NY, Staten Island
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    m1ashooter

--
    25 Jun 2018 09:46 AM
    Posted By TombRaider330 on 24 Jun 2018 12:55 PM
    How to find out the company name for Facebook before arriving at basic pls? I’d like to share with families & friends if possible..

Go to FB USCG Friends and Family and introduce yourself.  The admins will take it from there.
    CoastieDad13

--
    27 Jun 2018 03:13 PM
    Our son graduated W-194 last year and has been a non rate at Sector Buffalo since October of last year. He is currently at AST Prep school and when he arrived in Elizabeth City NC I got the boot camp shipping blues again and this is only a week long prep school! It really doesn't go away (at least for me and my wife) but knowing he is doing what he wants makes us super happy and we support him all the way! Welcome to our big happy family!!!
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    m1ashooter

--
    27 Jun 2018 09:42 PM
    To be honest its easier the first two times saying good by. I laughed a bit when he called the first night at boot camp because I knew what he was going to do. Then we said good by again when he left for his first station. Now it was very hard to say goodby after he graduated from A School because I knew he was going to be gone for a long time. At least we can face time with him. When I left for active duty I had no understanding how my parents felt. Now I know.
    coastie65

--
    05 Jul 2018 02:39 PM
    Those will be 8 weeks of memories that will stay with him. When I enlisted the Program was 12 weeks. After we went into Company, we were told the the program would be 8 weeks now, so we were the first Company ( Kilo - 58 ) to go out in 8 weeks. The downside was graduation was on a Friday the 13th. I was reporting aboard Cape May 6 days after I graduated from high school. I also experienced both facets of the Coast Guard, peace time & combat Coastie ( Vietnam ). I was on Lifeboat stations and did Ocean Stations aboard the CGC Half Moon ( WHEC 378 ). It was a good experience. I also had the pleasure of having a company commander that had been a Marine and his last Duty station was at Parris Island as a DI. We ended up with the nick name, Hearn's Marines ( by another senior company. I don't know what my parents felt when I left. I came home after "A" school after having been in the field. I then went to Governor's Island, N.Y. for orders ( 3rd CG District headquarters then, but now no 3rd District and NYC has G.I. ). That was when I found out I was headed for Vietnam. All I had chance to do was make a phone call. I'm thinking they never said much because my siblings never knew I was in Vietnam until about 10 years ago. They may have changed it, but I am thinking they allowed us a phone call right after we went into Company. After that it was after we went off restriction ( 5th week ).
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement