Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Acceptance rates or ratios for OCS-R ?
Last Post 09 Aug 2018 11:57 AM by sardaddy. 5 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Samuraijak

--
20 Jul 2018 10:38 AM
    Good morning,

Although I understand that it is difficult to predict, I was wondering what the acceptance rates are at for OCS-R. I graduate on December with a BS on Biological Sciences and plan on joining Coast Guard upon doing so, hopefully as an Officer through the OCS-R program.

The O-JAK lists very low acceptance rates but they are before 2016. I wanted to know if this trend still persists.

trailblazer

--
    21 Jul 2018 02:49 PM
    I wish I could offer more recent numbers. I was also in your shoes at one point, searching for more recent statistics to see if my dream to serve in the Coast Guard was a realistic one. Your recruiter might be able to give you a rough idea of more recent OCS-R panels, but I don’t think it’s worth your time. Rather than continuing to search for and stress over the low selection statistics, I would pour time and energy into pursuing opportunities that will make your application packet stand out—leadership, service, etc. If this is a career you really want, it will take work but is totally possible—despite the dismal selection rates.

Though you didn’t explicitly ask for this advice, I’ll share a couple of things I’ve learned in my limited experience. First, when it comes time to interview for OCS-R, the panel might not care much about your Biological Sciences degree. It’s a great degree, but your technical knowledge is not necessarily what they’re after. They might care more about the life lessons and extracurricular experience gained in your college/university experience. They will grill you on leadership, service, and your ability to communicate with and resolve conflict with others. The more experiences you have that tie into and teach those things, the more valuable you will be to the Coast Guard. There’s no “magic formula” that will win you a primary selection to OCS-R, but definitely network with other Coasties and learn what qualities they are looking for in the “ideal” officer candidate and strive to fill in the gaps in your own experience.

Best of luck finishing school, and good luck with the OCS application process!

Basic Member
    Basic Member
    Andisoss

--
    22 Jul 2018 07:43 AM
    The good news for you is that we recruited A LOT of Officers post 9/11, many of which were prior enlisted. Many of them are going to be retiring very soon, creating what I would anticipate the best selection rate for officers in the past 15 years. But it is still going to be competitive. I would imagine a 30-35% selection rate compared to what it was 4 or 5 years ago when it was 10-12%. I highly encourage you to do both enlist and complete an OCS package. It looks great when you show up to your interview with that "I am in this regardless" attitude. As an Officer and former recruiter, nothing bothers me more than someone who walks in to an interview thinking they DESERVE to be an Officer and will take nothing less. Not only that, the selection rate for OCS-R (not OCS-T) jumps to over 50% when people are applying from the Enlisted corp. It is not uncommon for someone to get passed up the first time, join, reapply and they are off to OCS 6-12 months later. I had a recruit actually get picked up as an Alternate for OCS while in basic training. At least she showed up to OCS in great shape

Also, we are directed to get those who have STEM Degrees a higher amount of consideration (we don't use the word "preference", but that is exactly what it is)

Best of luck. 
    RealQuick

--
    29 Jul 2018 10:19 AM
    Does anyone know the average time it takes results to release for an OCS panel? We had to wait about 2 months for the DCO results but I have been told that the results for an OCS panel are released relatively quickly but wasn't told much more than that.
    Ematthew

--
    29 Jul 2018 11:33 AM
    Typically 16-18 days (Wednesday, Thurs, or Friday).
    Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    sardaddy

--
    09 Aug 2018 11:57 AM
    Acceptance rates for any of these programs is 50%. Either you make it or you don't.

My point is that it doesn't really matter what the acceptance rate is. It only matters that you put a good packet together and apply.

Good luck
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement