Hello everyone. I apologize if this has been asked before recently but the most recent forum I found was for 2014 and I am interested in more current information
As the title of the topic states I am Chief Warrant Officer 2, UH60M helicopter pilot for the Louisiana National Guard, and I am 30 years of age. I have over 500 flight hours and have had the opportunity to have deployed for a year as a pilot. I have been out of flight school for over 2 years and when I complete my degree it will have been close to 3 years since flight school complete. I am also deployed now, so I am looking ahead for opportunities in my present job. I have some questions If anyone can help me out, or if anyone has experience with a transition like mine that would be helpful as well to have your input. I am.wanting to go active duty but if reserve is my only option for whatever reason i am open to that also
1. Quality of life in the coast guard compared to the army as an aviator?
How many Additional duties will I be tasked with typically and how is home life? I'm married with one child and would like to know how much time I will have available to me.
2. How does aircraft selection work? I would like to fly fix wing aircraft if able but I am not opposed to sticking with helicopters.
3. Duty assignments and deployments. How often do you deploy, for how long and where to? Also for duty stations I would figure needs of the Coast Guard are priority but how is this organization about allowing service members to pick locations?
4. I have 500 flight hrs but i have accumulated about 200 from flight school, the website says my flight hours can not come from training. Is this waiverable? I don't have any intention on being untruthful to recruiters so I will not lie about flight time. I plan to present an experience sheet to my recruiter as well. I know this is probably a question for a recruiter but i am trying to get information from experienced resources first. I'll talk to a recruiter when I get home, face to face.
5. I have been in 11 years. 5 of those years are active duty. But I only have 1 year as an active duty warrant officer outside of flight school. The requirements say 2 years. Is this waiverable?
6. For those that have done a switch like this, what are some things you wish you have done differently? What are something's I need to know ahead of time?
7. How often are pilots doing underwater egress training in the CG? The army does it every 4 years. I'm really just interested in this not worried about it.
I know I need to get released from my unit but before I go doing all that I need to know if this is a good move for me and my family. I know this was lengthy but I am trying to learn as much as I can.
Thank you for your time