Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
How often do Coast Guard Active Reserve Commissioned Officers get deployed?
Last Post 25 Aug 2018 01:11 PM by CPORJM. 9 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages Informative
JamBoree

--
03 Aug 2018 05:46 PM
    Currently working for the government as a GS employee in the Washington DC area. Prior service, US Navy, enlisted. Have a BS/MS degree in IT, married, 2 kids, still fit for full duty, fully eligible to re-enter the service health/age wise. Thinking about joining the CG active reserves as a commissioned officer. Looking into engineering, IT, and intelligence officer career paths.

One weekend a month/ 2 weeks AT is not an issue. What about longer involuntary orders to active duty as an officer (6 months or longer)? Does anyone have any first-hand experience? What should I expect here as far as frequency of such orders and usual length?
    Resserve Chief/Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    CPORJM

--
    03 Aug 2018 09:46 PM
    Deployments and activations are two different things, but there's no way to forecast this. It's solely dependant on domestic/international events. You could do an entire career and never be deployed/activated. On the other hand, you could be like me and be activated five times in a 17 year CGR career. There's no way of knowing
    "When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."-Jonathan Swift
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    uttexican

--
    08 Aug 2018 01:31 PM
    It's also highly dependent on how you tailor your career. If you're at a DSF unit (PSU, CORIVERON, etc), then you're more likely to get Title 10 orders or ADOS for a few weeks/months at a time if the need is there and you're willing to do it. If you're at a blue unit (Sector, District, etc), you less likely to be activated unless there's a hurricane or some other surge event and even then it just depends on your quals and what they're looking for.

Put it this way, you can design your career to have a higher or lower probability to pick up active stints. Tell me what you WANT to do, and I'll give you my best guidance on how to accomplish that. I've been enlisted in the CG and now I'm an officer. I've been at a PSU, a boat station and a Sector.
    ENS Chris LaRocque "Happiness is a choice."
    kungfumonk007

--
    08 Aug 2018 05:29 PM
    Can you explain what a dsf unit is and what a blue unit is?
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    uttexican

--
    09 Aug 2018 07:36 AM
    DSF = Deployable Specialized Forces. DSF are under PACAREA command in Alameda, CA. The PSU's, the CORIVERON's...they all wear Type III Navy uniforms and they're centered around defense readiness so many people refer to those units as "green" units (i.e. green camo uniforms). When I say "blue" units, I'm referring to what most civilians think of when they think USCG...blue ODU's riding on the orange RBS out of a boat station. We have 11 statutory missions so that's grossly oversimplifying our organization, but those types of units are referred to as "blue" (i.e. blue ODU's). Stations are usually subordinate to Sectors which go to Districts, etc.

Because DSF are designed to deploy, they get supplemental funding from DoD so it's easier to come across ADOS or support C-schools for reservists. Again, I'm hugely simplifying everything. The mission set is different, the command is different, the structure is different and most importantly the funding is different. I find the Sector extremely confusing and difficult after coming from a PSU. Sector has an active duty command structure but you have a concurrent chain of reservists that kind of tie -in to the AD chain, but not directly sometimes. There's never any money to send anyone to a C-school or purchase required equipment/etc. PSU is almost entirely reservists and there is no AD chain of command separate from the reservist chain. The CO of a PSU is a reservist CDR with a LCDR XO. As long as you can justify the cost of something with respect to deploying or achieving readiness to deploy, the funds are often attainable.

LT
    JamBoree

--
    22 Aug 2018 08:55 PM
    Suppose I was trying to minimize my chances of being activated and/or deployed for longer than 1 month at a time. What would my course of action be?
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    CPORJM

--
    23 Aug 2018 08:36 AM
    Don't go into the Reserves. I'm not trying to be a smart a** here, but if you can't reconcile with the idea that you may get involuntarily recalled for greater than 30 days, then the Reserves aren't for you. The Reserve component exists to supplement the AD side as domestic/international events may dictate. If something along the lines of another Deepwater Horizon (oil well explosion/fire/cleanup in New Orleans, 2010) occurs again, you can bet you'll be recalled under Title 14 orders. Those orders are for 60 days at a time. If this kind of thing doesn't fit into your life, then do yourself and the CG a favor and don't enlist.
    "When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."-Jonathan Swift
    Basic Member
    Basic Member
    uttexican

--
    23 Aug 2018 02:41 PM
    Gotta say, I agree with Chief. I'm a reservist and there's nothing more irritating than the members who squeeze every benefit out of being in the military, but do as little as possible to earn it. I'm much more proud of my service after being activated. The entire point of the reserves is to activate for surge events. That might be 1-2 months for a hurricane or it might be 1-2 years for a wartime effort (i.e. Vietnam). Our current Commandant and Vice are operational guys and they're stressing that mentality.
    JamBoree

--
    25 Aug 2018 09:52 AM
    I was responding to your invitation based on this comment above: "Put it this way, you can design your career to have a higher or lower probability to pick up active stints. Tell me what you WANT to do, and I'll give you my best guidance on how to accomplish that." Now, it seems like you did a complete 180. Not at all unexpected, since I deal with people at work and this type of bait-and-switch every day, but disappointing nonetheless.
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    CPORJM

--
    25 Aug 2018 01:11 PM
    Posted By JamBoree on 25 Aug 2018 10:52 AM
    I was responding to your invitation based on this comment above: "Put it this way, you can design your career to have a higher or lower probability to pick up active stints. Tell me what you WANT to do, and I'll give you my best guidance on how to accomplish that." Now, it seems like you did a complete 180. Not at all unexpected, since I deal with people at work and this type of bait-and-switch every day, but disappointing nonetheless.

I think you're misinterpreting what LT LaRocque is saying.  The way I read it, he's saying you can structure your career to limit the number of times you get activated, not the length of the activation itself.  That's determined by mission needs.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement