Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
Enlistment questions
Last Post 10 Aug 2018 11:37 AM by KmsPA. 8 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
KmsPA

--
09 Aug 2018 04:44 PM
    I have passed my physical and am talking with the recruiter about coast guard jobs. Long story but my problem is I’m being told I have to go in non-rated and then once boot camp is over I can request an “A” school. I was mostly interested in ME which I’m being told there are 300+ on the list and can’t even request the school but was also think IS would be a field I would enjoy. I’ve talked with the recruiter has told me all the success stories of finding the right path. 

My major concern is the recruiter said I’m qualified for BM, CS, ME, MK, OS and YN. Since I’m not qualified for IS I can request a unit waiver once having served as a nonrate and request the school. Based on what I have read here that doesn’t seem right. I’ve been told everyone has to put their time in but besides the ME the jobs don’t seem something I’m interested in. 

It’s been really hard to try and talk with the recruiter as they don’t come to my area at all. My dad has worked with members who either ETS’d or retired but they always tell me a lot has changed. They told me they got a lot out of it and recommended it to me but this not having a job/school thing is foreign to all my other family members which have served in other branches. I’m The little I’ve found out I have been interested in for the last 4 years but getting current information is hard. Since I’m just starting out I want to make the smartest decision I can but so much I don’t understand. 
    Resserve Chief/Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    CPORJM

--
    09 Aug 2018 09:25 PM
    I'm sorry, but what are you trying to say? I can't make sense of your post
    "When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."-Jonathan Swift
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    m1ashooter

--
    09 Aug 2018 09:26 PM
    ME A school is closed so don't get your hopes up on that rate. Why do you want to be an ME? The Me's I saw at a local sector we manning the gate!

Unless enlist for a critically manned rate that is paying an enlistment bonus peoples will be a non rate when graduation Boot Camp. You get your name on the A School list after you have completed your unit quals, have been on station for at least four months and your command recommends you. Many answers are at your finger tips you just have to google them.

https://www.reddit.com/r/uscg/comments/6gicj3/all_required_asvab_scores_for_enlisted_rates/ This path will lead you to the required numbers needed on the ASVAB for each rate. Its from a post I found from 2017.

https://ratemyasvab.com/coast-guard. If you have your asvab scores plug them into this site. I'm not sure how accuarate it is though.

FYI plenty of people perform LE duties. My son is a BM3 who is a boarding team member.
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    CPORJM

--
    09 Aug 2018 09:28 PM
    Posted By m1ashooter on 09 Aug 2018 10:26 PM
    ME A school is closed so don't get your hopes up on that rate. Why do you want to be an ME? The Me's I saw at a local sector we manning the gate!

Unless enlist for a critically manned rate that is paying an enlistment bonus peoples will be a non rate when graduation Boot Camp. You get your name on the A School list after you have completed your unit quals, have been on station for at least four months and your command recommends you. Many answers are at your finger tips you just have to google them.

https://www.reddit.com/r/uscg/comments/6gicj3/all_required_asvab_scores_for_enlisted_rates/ This path will lead you to the required numbers needed on the ASVAB for each rate. Its from a post I found from 2017.

https://ratemyasvab.com/coast-guard. If you have your asvab scores plug them into this site. I'm not sure how accuarate it is though.

FYI plenty of people perform LE duties. My son is a BM3 who is a boarding team member.

I wouldn't place a lot of faith in a third party website
    "When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."-Jonathan Swift
    KmsPA

--
    10 Aug 2018 03:06 AM
    My ASVAB scores only qualify for the rates listed and out of those ME is the one which had my interest the most. The recruiter mentioned about intel but since my score isn’t high enough I would have to request a waiver to put my name on the A school list. He says this happenes frequently and as long as I do well as a nonrate I can get the school. 

I just am not sure relying on a waiver to get the school is a smart decision. 
    KmsPA

--
    10 Aug 2018 03:14 AM
    I’m looking for experience in conducting investigations and inspections. My mentor was an O4 who spent a lot of time conducting vessel and facility inspections as well as investigations if there was an incident such as vessel damage or if it ran aground. I tried to explain to the recruiter and he said really there is no enlisted rate for that. He felt ME which isn’t open but I qualified for or intel would be as close as I could get. 

I hope to work on a law degree and then get a job as a prosecutor or investigator for the district attorney’s office eventually. 
    Trusted Member
    Advanced Member
    Advanced Member
    mkelly

--
    10 Aug 2018 04:31 AM
    You can also retake the ASVAB but if you get a lower score, that is your new score. You do not get to keep the higher one. If there isn't a job available to you that you want, then do not get in the Coast Guard. Study up, retake the ASVAB when you think you can do well enough to get the job that you want. Once you increase your score and the job you want is available to you, that may be a better time to get into the Coast Guard.
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    CPORJM

--
    10 Aug 2018 09:24 AM
    Posted By KmsPA on 10 Aug 2018 04:14 AM
    I’m looking for experience in conducting investigations and inspections. My mentor was an O4 who spent a lot of time conducting vessel and facility inspections as well as investigations if there was an incident such as vessel damage or if it ran aground. I tried to explain to the recruiter and he said really there is no enlisted rate for that. He felt ME which isn’t open but I qualified for or intel would be as close as I could get. 

I hope to work on a law degree and then get a job as a prosecutor or investigator for the district attorney’s office eventually. 

What kind of investigations? Criminal or maritime casualty?  There is a Criminal Investigator raing in the Reserves (IV).  I've been doing that since 2005.  However, you need to be a police officer in your civilian career to apply.  The Marine Science Technician (MST) rating does do pollution investigations, and I believe they have some involvement in maritime casualty stuff.

KmsPA

--
    10 Aug 2018 11:37 AM
    More maritime casualty/safe to operate than CI stuff. I just graduated high school in June so trying to get some good experience and learn from others at this point.  My dad was civilian LEO and has tried hard to steer my away from that so I am just getting into it at this point.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement