Register | Login
United States Coast Guard Forums and Information
The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,yacht,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States Coast Guard. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,travel,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion The World's Premiere Source for United States. Information and resources about the USCG, rules, regulations, policy, pay, jobs, forms, pay, locations, and more. auxiliary,faq,facts,manuals,boating rules,boating regulations,boating safety,inflatable boats, scuba diving,boating magazines,boats,boat talk,boaters,boats for sale,boating information,survey,cruising,cruiser,sea,ocean,tide,current,weather,marine,ships,inflatables,fishing,fisherman,cutter,boat navigation,wind,chart,navigator,powerboat,sailboat,sailing,opinion
If I want to be called up
Last Post 11 Aug 2018 02:42 PM by CPORJM. 9 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
kungfumonk007

--
09 Aug 2018 06:42 PM
    I just got qualified to join reserves. Too old to enlist though. I know I am not using the right terminology but what is the best rate to pick if I WANT to be called to go active (but not on a cutter). I saw on another post that I can no longer find that sometimes you are told you must go active and other times you have opportunities to volunteer to go active. Can someone please explain that and tell me what rates would give me the most opportunities.
    Resserve Chief/Trusted Member
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    CPORJM

--
    09 Aug 2018 09:27 PM
    You're qualified to join the Reserves, but can't enlist? That makes no sense whatsoever.
    "When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."-Jonathan Swift
    BuckyCop

--
    10 Aug 2018 07:27 AM
    I'm guessing they mean enlist in the Active Duty side, but I was also confused with the post. 

Honestly the best rate if you want to stay on active orders or get called up is CS, but most orders are on a cutter.  Any critical rate will also probably also have a greater chance of having additional opportunities for active orders, but many of those critical rates don't have a lot of reserve billets and if they do they may not be close to where you live.  So much is dependent on so many variables.  Just choose the rate you are most interested in and get every qualification you possibly can, don't be a slug and you will get opportunities.

For instance a reserve ME at my station has been on AD orders more than he has been home in the last 4 years, but he is qual'd in almost everything and works his tail off.  When he got noticed, he started to know people and when any orders came through he knew about them first and had first crack at them. 
    kungfumonk007

--
    10 Aug 2018 07:46 AM
    What are critical rates?

I am 38. That is why I am qualified for reserves only. There are 0 cs positions available with reserves right now. Lots of Botswain and ME positioons everywhere.
    kungfumonk007

--
    10 Aug 2018 07:50 AM
    How do you get multiple qualifications? Can you go to A school more than once?
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    CPORJM

--
    10 Aug 2018 09:18 AM
    Posted By kungfumonk007 on 10 Aug 2018 08:50 AM
    How do you get multiple qualifications? Can you go to A school more than once?

You cannot go to A School more than once.  Qualifications are things like Communications Watchstander, Boarding Officer, Firearms Instructor, EMT, etc........
    "When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."-Jonathan Swift
    kungfumonk007

--
    10 Aug 2018 12:23 PM
    I am sorry - can you explain a little more how one gets multiple qualifications?  From what I understand maybe your rating is a BM, but as a BM there are a lot of positions that you can do - you get the more specific training on the job.  Is that a correct understanding? 

So if I am going down the right trail of thought if you show that you are a dilligent, competent hardworker and you request to be trained in multiple positions then you will get "multiple qualifications" - is that correct?

I see how my original post was confusing - so I think the correct terminology is I am only qualified to enlist in the reserve component and not active component.
    BuckyCop

--
    10 Aug 2018 04:51 PM
    Yes for the most part.  In the reserves you pick your rate and in the first year or so go to A school (unless you have very specific prior training and you can waive A school).  When you graduate you are whatever rate you chose as a Petty Officer 3rd class (E4).  Once you report back to your unit you start working on qualifications.

An example would be a Boatswain's Mate (BM) after reporting back from A school the BM3 will work on their boat crew qualification first.  Then they can get qualified as a boarding team member, coxswain, boarding officer, pursuit coxswain etc.... those are qualifications.  Those are currency in the Coast Guard.  The more qualified you are, the more desirable you are.

I am an ME.  The first qualification I got was Boarding Team Member, then boat crew, then Boarding Officer afloat (there is also BO ashore), then comms watchstander because it was winter and I was bored.  There are a ton of other quals I can look at. Heck I could go for my 29' engineer qual if I wanted to or even coxswain. 

Also, I highly doubt there are 0 CS positions open in the Coast Guard, there is 20k signing bonus for that rate.  I know OS was listed as a critical rate and I think EM (correct me if I am wrong).

The PSU's are looking for ME's and everywhere can always use some crayon eating BM's
    kungfumonk007

--
    10 Aug 2018 06:24 PM
    Thanks that explains it.

Reserve positions have listed openings on their website that is theoretically up to date. CS list no reserve vacancies. Probably that nice bonus they offer. https://www.gocoastguard.com/reserve-careers/enlisted-careers/view-job-descriptions/fs
    Veteran Member
    Veteran Member
    CPORJM

--
    11 Aug 2018 02:42 PM
    The Reserve vacancy website is not always the most up to date. Recruiters will have the most recent numbers
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

Active Forums 4.3

Military clothing, gear, insignia, baseball caps and other quality items at SoldierCity

Disclaimer

This web site is a privately-owned and has not been underwritten or supported by the United States Coast Guard. 
    The views and opinions posted by members do not reflect the views and opinions of the United States Coast Guard.
    This is an informational site. Welcome aboard!

Copyright 2010 by USCG.ORG
    United States Coast Guard Forums and Information  |  Terms Of Use  |  Privacy Statement